Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 340 or Hammerhead 383

skier722

I am looking at two used 2005 Sunscape 21LSV's both with similar equipmentbut one has the Monsoon 340 and the other the Hammerhead 383. Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with either engine.

The boat with the Hammerhead is a little more but the other has a few more optoins.

Just wondering if either engine has been more reliable.

Thanks,

Joe

Less issues with the Monsoon, except for a few damper plates bombs in th 05-06 era. At the end of the day it's all about the prop anyways. I don't need more and certainly wouldn't want less than my Monsoon in my 21' vRide. Save some money and get the extra options, JM2C.

Edited by Ndawg12

I had a 2003 23 LSV with the hammerhead and never had any problems. When I purchased my 2003, the Hammerhead upgrade was about $4,000. I now have a 2010 23 LSV with the 350 Monsoon and am satisfied with its power. Although I would have liked a little more power for pulling slalom skiers. Unfortunately, other than the LS7, Malibu no longer offers any other motor upgrades and the LS7 was $20,000 (kinda hard to justify). If I were you, I would go with the Hammerhead if all other aspects of the boats are equal. Hope this helps.

I've got the monsoon and at the end of the day I've been very pleased, more so with the fuel efficiency. It would be nice to have the extra power but I don't need it all the time.

I had a 2003 23 LSV with the hammerhead and never had any problems. When I purchased my 2003, the Hammerhead upgrade was about $4,000. I now have a 2010 23 LSV with the 350 Monsoon and am satisfied with its power. Although I would have liked a little more power for pulling slalom skiers. Unfortunately, other than the LS7, Malibu no longer offers any other motor upgrades and the LS7 was $20,000 (kinda hard to justify). If I were you, I would go with the Hammerhead if all other aspects of the boats are equal. Hope this helps.

Different engine completely from the '05 Hammerhead.

Doesn't the Hammerhead require premium gas? If so, that could be a real consideration. I know at Norris Lake in TN its hard to find 93 octane...

Doesn't the Hammerhead require premium gas? If so, that could be a real consideration. I know at Norris Lake in TN its hard to find 93 octane...

I am not sure if it does require premium. I would be trailering most of the time and most stations in MI carry 93 but your right it would be more costly.

5 monsoons in my family, nary a hiccup. I've heard horror stories about hammerheads, old and new. But maybe I've just lucked out. Or maybe I'm anal. Or maybe both :biggrin: .

I am not sure if it does require premium. I would be trailering most of the time and most stations in MI carry 93 but your right it would be more costly.

I've had both the old HH (350ci) as well as the new one ('05+, 383ci). *I think* that the new one takes mid grade (as does the Monsoon), while the older one required premium. Memory isn't too good ATM though, so don't hold my feet to the fire on that point.

I've had both the old HH (350ci) as well as the new one ('05+, 383ci). *I think* that the new one takes mid grade (as does the Monsoon), while the older one required premium. Memory isn't too good ATM though, so don't hold my feet to the fire on that point.

Both HH's can use 87 w/o any issues or harm to the engine. To reach full potential for performance you'll need to run 89 or better.

I've been running 87 but always from 76 or Chevron, I also haven't played with the timing for more advancement (man that strikes me strangely, a motor I haven't messed with yet) but it has ran great from day one.

I've been running 87 but always from 76 or Chevron, I also haven't played with the timing for more advancement (man that strikes me strangely, a motor I haven't messed with yet) but it has ran great from day one.

Do you have the new 383 Hammerhead?

I don't know about the '05 but my '08 Hammerhead runs fine off of regular.

Monsoon will be more reliable in the long run, YMMV

-Chris

:rofl:

Here we go again. Both are great engines, a small percentage of HH had issues.

:rofl:

Here we go again. Both are great engines, a small percentage of HH had issues.

Either my area had an extremely disproportionate number of hhead problems or my definition of "issues" differs from his.

Either my area had an extremely disproportionate number of hhead problems or my definition of "issues" differs from his.

Could be because like I said before my local dealer has sold over 100 boats with the 383 hh in it and has only had 2 with any issues. Not bad if you ask me. Or maybe you're bad luck.

I must have a really good one, not only has it been flawless in funtion its more fuel efficient than my VLX was with the monsoon. Go figure.

Edited by 06vlx

Could be because like I said before my local dealer has sold over 100 boats with the 383 hh in it and has only had 2 with any issues. Not bad if you ask me. Or maybe you're bad luck.

I must have a really good one, not only has it been flawless in funtion its more fuel efficient than my VLX was with the monsoon. Go figure.

Must be it 06, thanks for clearing that up.

Hahaha thats some real logic for you. So skier722 apparently you are fine unless you live near 85 barefoot you should be fine. Well at least according to 06 VLX, if you do have a problem you can direct your anger at him for he probably didn't let you know if there was someone in your area who's bad luck would also effect your engine. Maybe it would be smart if he gave us a list of people with bad luck and where they live, just to avoid future issues.

Hahaha thats some real logic for you. So skier722 apparently you are fine unless you live near 85 barefoot you should be fine. Well at least according to 06 VLX, if you do have a problem you can direct your anger at him for he probably didn't let you know if there was someone in your area who's bad luck would also effect your engine. Maybe it would be smart if he gave us a list of people with bad luck and where they live, just to avoid future issues.

:stupid:

Its just a joke man, please tell me you can take a joke.

Come on, you're talking to one of the most smart a$$ people you'll ever meet. That was my poke back at ya :biggrin: .

My 03' hammerhead did not require premium.