Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

towable cover

skier92

What are peoples opinions of towing even with a "towable" cover? I have a freind that refuses to use his when he tows because he feels like it will ultimately cause abrasion on the gel coat. Curious what others think??

Thanks!!

Been towing with the Rankin for about 3 yrs with no problems. And have multiple friends with Malibu boats & Rankin or Evolution covers who tow with the cover in place with no problems. :rockon:

We tow thru mountain passes in crappy weather all too frequently. The cover not only keeps the weather & road grime out of the boat, but keeps all the stuff in the boat (which is a hefty fine for hauling a loose load).

www.evolutioncovers.com

Search the forums. It's about the only answer you will see.

:plus1:

This is my 2nd season with my Evo cover, and we trailer with it on everywhere. Props to Cory and Evolution Covers!

I'm on my 5th season with my Evolution cover (I think I must have had one of his first ones as it wasn't even called Evolution then, but rather Covercraft if I remember correctly), which I have towed all over the state and down to California. It still works and looks great. It is out in the elements all summer long as we keep the boat moored on the river.

Can't say enough good things about the cover and the customer service provided by Cory.

My parents just picked up our boat from Corey @ Evolution Covers. I haven't seen the boat in person yet, but it looked great in the picture they sent me. When I spoke with them on the phone they couldn't stop talking about how nice Corey was and how great the cover looked. I am looking forward to having a cover this summer after going a year without!

I tow with my Rankin all the time. I've been towing with it for 3 years - we always seem to hit heavy storms one direction or the other. With the cover everything stays dry, clean & in the boat where I left it. Not one mark yet.

With the cover stretched tight, it also seems to tow a little easier too.

Edited by wienrdog

I just have to say - belonging to this Crew is awesome!! :rockon: Everyone is so helpful and shows such a genuine interest in the care and feeding of our 'Bu's!! :yahoo:

Thanks everyone for the feedback on towing with the cover - great to know it's ok to tow with them on.

I just have to say - belonging to this Crew is awesome!! :rockon: Everyone is so helpful and shows such a genuine interest in the care and feeding of our 'Bu's!! :yahoo:

Thanks everyone for the feedback on towing with the cover - great to know it's ok to tow with them on.

Just remember it has to be installed properly or it will rub the gelcoat. The Evolution covers are adjustable and need to be adjusted correctly so you won't have problems.

Ok - this may be a stupid question - but - gotta ask. My cover has posts with vents (one in the front, and one in the rear). Is it safe to assume that these are used for towing too? or just for storage to prevent water build up?

Actually, thats probably a pretty good question, shokarl.

Without actually seeing the cover, I'd have to say it's not trailerable. For two reasons. One, if the wind pushes down on the cover too hard or too long, the poles may punch thru the cover. And two, the vents may actually scoop air as your driving down the road, causing even more problems. :unsure:

The Evo/Rankin we've all mentioned has neither of these. It is pulled tight using straps across the transom, hooks on the sides & a drawstring around the entire boat. They have a soft padded material over wear points, ie; windshield, the hooks on the sides, bow, etc. And their made from Sunbrella, which is a waterproof, breathable material so it doesn't need vents at all.

I plan on using for mooring this weekend. I will take some photos and see if I can also see who the manufacturer is. I will post the photos next week to get some feedback from you guys.

For long hauls with our Rankin, we use one layer of pallet wrap under the cover along the rub rail and up. It used to rub a little here and there. Problem solved.

Hopefully 06vlx or somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. But the owner/customer service/fabricator/etc. (one man show) of Evolution came from Rankin covers and improved on their design and the total buying experience for his customers. Rankin is no more but Evolution continues to rock and roll :thumbup:

Edited by Ndawg12

Hopefully 06vlx or somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. But the owner/customer service/fabricator/etc. (one man show) of Evolution came from Rankin covers and improved on their design and the total buying experience for his customers. Rankin is no more but Evolution continues to rock and roll :thumbup:

That is correct.

I'm sorry if this I was misleading at all. Just trying to give credit with credit is due. And frankly I'm not privy to the inside story of how the whole Rankin - > Evo story went. But as I understand it, Rankin came up with a towable cover concept like 5 or 10 yrs ago. Cory or Evo learned & perfected the cover & at some point created Evo. Then came the company of Evolution covers.

In the end, there is only one..... http://www.evolutioncovers.com :rockon:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this I was misleading at all. Just trying to give credit with credit is due. And frankly I'm not privy to the inside story of how the whole Rankin - > Evo story went. But as I understand it, Rankin came up with a towable cover concept like 5 or 10 yrs ago. Cory or Evo learned & perfected the cover & at some point created Evo. Then came the company of Evolution covers.

In the end, there is only one..... http://www.evolutioncovers.com :rockon:

The only thing that sucks is that Cory has no template for the 2010 247 LSV and don't think he will anytime soon :cry: :cry:

We ran into the same problem, no template for a Sanger V230. Luckily my parents were heading to Canada last month and they dropped the boat off with Cory on the way up. They picked it up a couple of days later when heading home.

We ran into the same problem, no template for a Sanger V230. Luckily my parents were heading to Canada last month and they dropped the boat off with Cory on the way up. They picked it up a couple of days later when heading home.

Nice. Looks good.