Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1991-1992 malibu

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what type of fluid besides ATF goes in the velvet drive transmission. The fluid thats in there now is not red its more clear. I read online something about hydraulic fluid from tractor supply i think it said 10wt. Never had to add fluid until now. And i dont want to mix.

martinarcher

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what type of fluid besides ATF goes in the velvet drive transmission. The fluid thats in there now is not red its more clear. I read online something about hydraulic fluid from tractor supply i think it said 10wt. Never had to add fluid until now. And i dont want to mix.

I have an 88' Skier with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive. The manual for the transmission states ATF for the tranny fluid. I run Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in ours and am very happy with the results. The previous owner used the same so it has been the same type of fluid for almost 20 years now.

Hi,

I think for the past 10 years at service school they have been telling us to stop using that tractor oil. ATF has cleaners in it that will help keep the clutches in better condition.

If its been that long since it's been changed your definitely due. Transmission fluid should be done every 100 hours or every season at winterization. It's as simple as sucking the fluid out where the dipstick is and putting the new. You wil most likely need to change it twice so you get all that tractor fluid out.

ATF Dextron Mercron 3 is the fluid you want to be using in there.

Hope this helps

-Paul

I think for the past 10 years at service school they have been telling us to stop using that tractor oil. ATF has cleaners in it that will help keep the clutches in better condition.

If its been that long since it's been changed your definitely due. Transmission fluid should be done every 100 hours or every season at winterization. It's as simple as sucking the fluid out where the dipstick is and putting the new. You wil most likely need to change it twice so you get all that tractor fluid out.

ATF Dextron Mercron 3 is the fluid you want to be using in there.

Hope this helps

-Paul

martinarcher

Paul,

So i need to buy a pump? And how many quarts of ATF? Thanks for the info.

The transmissions in these boats does not hold a whole lot of fluid. It takes 1.3 quarts of fluid to fill the tranny. The Borg Warner Service Manual states 1.8 quarts when level and 1.3 quarts at 15 degrees. Your tranny will pretty close to 1.3 quarts. After adding 1.3 quarts check the dipstick and and a bit more if needed for the tranny angle. Be sure not to overfill. Just remember what Paul said, change it twice to get all the old fluid out. I have this pump for changing oil and tranny fluid (sucks fluid with a vacuum). Any similar pump will work. I like this one because it holds all the oil my truck pan holds in one go.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_a

Good luck.