Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rough hole shot

I have a 2006 Response LXi with about 170 hours on it. Great ride and gets a lot of looks. It is full-time boathouse stored in Ontario, Canada so it is subject to high humidity.

My problem is that the engine starts and idles well but seems to miss (or appears to be under extreme load) during acceleration and lumbers as I come up through 1500 - 2000rpm. The engine or driveline seems to shake a little. Once going there is no problem and going flat out at 5100 rpm there is no problem. When at idling out of gear there is no trouble going from idle at about 700 rpm to max. It is nice and smooth. I am wondering if there is some resisitence in the driveline or if there is some sort of load module that affects acceleration.

The boat gets about 30 hours a year. It was put away fine and I thought that it would work itself out. After 5 hours, it is still a problem.

I had trouble witht the speedo in the past and I don't touch the paddlewheel anymore when I winterize the boat.

I use 0w40 synthetic oil.

I don't use the Perfect Pass but the guage looks scrambled these days.

Any thoughts on the rough hole shot?

Try a cap & rotor if you haven't replaced them in a while (or ever). With the boat stored in high humidity, it could be pretty crusty under there.

Issues with cap/rotor will often show up under load.

Try a cap & rotor if you haven't replaced them in a while (or ever). With the boat stored in high humidity, it could be pretty crusty under there.

Issues with cap/rotor will often show up under load.

+1

9 times out of 10 a fuel filter, cap and rotor will solve your problems. I would also inspect the spark plugs while you're at it.

If you've checked the electrical components, then I'd check the drive train. The hole shot is creating an extreme load and your neutral revving is virtually no load. Check the bolts on the drive shaft flanges and the prop. I just happened to be adjusting my shaft packing and happened to notice a nut on the drive shaft flange was almost all the way off. I had someone rotate the prop and found another nut almost off and the two remaining bolts were finger tight. These lose bolts would certainly cause a vibration that could be interpreted as an engine miss...

I will check the cap and plugs and pull the floor up and have another look.

I gas the boat myself and add stabizer to a full tank before layup for the winter. Even so I thought that I would run the tank out completely (which is soon) and use new gas as part of the troubleshooting process.

Thanks for the quick relpies and I will let you know. The dealer is about an hour and a half tow, so if I can sort this out myself, it will save a lot of time including that at the dealer.

Thanks