Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion tower cracked... ugh

Harrison256

So my tower on my 06 23 LSV cracked a few days ago on both sides towards the top where it levels off on either side of the bimini. They are cracked 80% through the whole tower. Probably wouldnt even be safe to drive the tower wobbles side to side so much and is probably 2 waves from falling apart. Noone has any idea how it happened. We docked it at out dry dock marina at night and the next time they put it in the water it was broken. they claim thats how they found it when they pulled it out of the water...

Anyways how the hell do I get a new one and how much will it cost because metcrafts out of business.. and does anyone know if for a temporary fix welding would be ok because the one chance of getting a tower i heard of was 7 week drop ship time.

Will post pics of the break later

Its broken in the same spot on both sides? Your marina hit something. I'd get them to fix it.

If you bite the bullet, weld it. My buddy did this and its fime.

Wow, any obvious impact damage anywhere?

I wouldn't trust a weld to fix a crack through 80% of the tower, but if you decide to try make sure you find a really good welder (ASME certified) who has experience with cast aluminum.

-Chris

Had the same problem on my 06 VLX, lucky for me it was still under warrantty but they wouldn't cover re-installing my speakers and lights. The tower is just aluminum so I'm sure it could be welded no problem. Find a good fab shop have them weld it up then have the tower painted in that spot, or heck change the color of the whole tower and do something custom.

P.S. I have no clue how or when mine broke either. Used the boat for the weekend parked it in the garage and the next weekend when I pulled it out to wash it before I went to the lake I noticed the crack, was only on one side on my boat drivers side and appeared to be all the way through the tower just below where the back bar ties in!

Its broken in the same spot on both sides? Your marina hit something. I'd get them to fix it.

If you bite the bullet, weld it. My buddy did this and its fime.

I have to agree here. Exact breaks on both sides? Seems very shady. I would start talking to the marina workers. Somebody saw this happen. Good luck

Hey your from Houston so you can call Jim Adler "the tough smart lawyer" haha

I would call the manufactuer of the illusion and ask if they warranty it and if they have had that problem before. If they are stress cracks then its faulty manufacturing and I dont see why they just dont replace it for free.

Hey your from Houston so you can call Jim Adler "the tough smart lawyer" haha

I would call the manufactuer of the illusion and ask if they warranty it and if they have had that problem before. If they are stress cracks then its faulty manufacturing and I dont see why they just dont replace it for free.

lol..In Dallas Jim Adler's ads call him the "Texas Hammer".

Unfortunately for the OP, Metcraft (manufacturer of the tower) is no longer in business. The new G3 tower for the 23 v-Ride should fit.

Edited by WhoaNellie

You're right, 80% is probably to deep.

I'd look above your dry dock boat slip for your tower paint and some scratches since they hit something while trying to load your boat, more than likely.

Insurance would be my 1st telephone call. Let them go after the marina too. They can decide how to fix - and then they also back the fix (i.e. if they decide to weld, and the weld doesn't hold - then they replace...but all on their dime).

If you want that to be the 2nd call - then call the Marina first and let them know that you are going to lean on them for the damage, or submit to your insurance and then they'll have the insurance company's lawyers leaning on them for the damage.

Just my $.02. Cheers.

Sorry to hear your grief, I wish you lived closer, I know I could repair it for you, I'm a fabricator, and I know I could repair it for you. I would like to see some pics of the cracks. I will def keep an eye on mine. Hope it works out.

Go look for evidence of wear on the supports above your spot. look for scratches on the top of your tower.

Give 'em HEii!!don't let them get away with it! Someone saw it happen.

That's pretty crazy, all the broken ones I've seen were from impact damage or from too many people sitting on the tower.

With the 2011 model year rolling around and the G3 tower being out for a year, I would check into your local dealer and have them find out if the G3 tower is for sale yet! It's a awesome tower.

-Paul

There is nothing on their site...is this something that happened recently and they haven't started making them yet or am I just not able to work a simple website?

How long is the warranty on the Illusion Towers? Im curious I have one and should be looking out for this

the company that made them is no longer in business, so i would say your warranty period is over.

So what would Malibu do if you cracked one and its only a year or two old? Who foots the bill? Now Im scared to use mine

• 2 weeks later...

A buddy of mine cracked his tower last week in one corner but he noticed while pulling a 120# chick wakeboarding. So he took it in where he bought it and its covered under warranty. Its coming from Malibu. Malibu said there is no known reason why this happens.

Can these towers be painted over the powdercoat and if so will they hold up over time, He was thinking about having it painted. Any insight so I can let him know

So what would Malibu do if you cracked one and its only a year or two old? Who foots the bill? Now Im scared to use mine

Thats the power of bankruptcy...noone will pay for it.

• 9 months later...

Had the same problem on my 06 VLX, lucky for me it was still under warrantty but they wouldn't cover re-installing my speakers and lights. The tower is just aluminum so I'm sure it could be welded no problem. Find a good fab shop have them weld it up then have the tower painted in that spot, or heck change the color of the whole tower and do something custom.

P.S. I have no clue how or when mine broke either. Used the boat for the weekend parked it in the garage and the next weekend when I pulled it out to wash it before I went to the lake I noticed the crack, was only on one side on my boat drivers side and appeared to be all the way through the tower just below where the back bar ties in!

Did you replace your tower, or have it welded?

...... there is no known reason why this happens.

Other than their made by Metcraft. :Doh:

Take a look online. Metcraft towers have been failing catastrophically for years.... not just with Malibu but also with Tige, Calabria & Centaurian.