Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth Finder Wiring Help

DC05

I know a bunch of crew members have installed aftermarket depth finders. I need some suggestions on how to power the unit. There is one red and one black wire.

Thanks

red is switched positive, black is ground. There's a ground bus under the dash... that's where the black wire goes. The red wire you want to run to power that gets hot when you turn the key (or is always hot if you want to have the depth finder on all the time -- and you shut your batteries off with a perko or something).

Thanks for the feedback. I have the ground bus figured out, but my challenge is figuring out where to wire the red. I want to tap in to power that gets hot when the key is turned on.

Thanks for the feedback. I have the ground bus figured out, but my challenge is figuring out where to wire the red. I want to tap in to power that gets hot when the key is turned on.

If that's how your stereo works you could always tap it in there (find the red wire on your harness out of the back of the stereo). it could have the unintended consequence of adding noise to your stereo but I'd put that at 1 in 20 or so if your stereo is set up right to begin with.

Barring that, get a circuit tester, and look at your unused switches under the dash. Chances are that they have switched power running to them already... you just need to test with key off and then key on.

I know a bunch of crew members have installed aftermarket depth finders. I need some suggestions on how to power the unit. There is one red and one black wire.

Thanks

Just curious... Which depth finder are you installing?

Shawndoggy thanks for all the feedback. I figured the stereo was the way to go. Now I just have to get to the harness.

Woody - I installed a Hummingbird 610. As much as I wanted to go with the factory setup, I couldn't drop the $500 Malibu wants for the module and transducer.

Shawndoggy thanks for all the feedback. I figured the stereo was the way to go. Now I just have to get to the harness.

Woody - I installed a Hummingbird 610. As much as I wanted to go with the factory setup, I couldn't drop the $500 Malibu wants for the module and transducer.

I hear you. I think I'm going to install the hummingbird piranhamax 170. and temp mount it down by the driver's cup holder.

Edited by woody
  • 4 weeks later...

I tied the power into the Aux pole (labeled with an A) on the back of the ignition switch. This is where my stereo is powered as well. At this point I have only mounted the gauge and powered it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the transducer. I have the location for it figured out, but my engine compartment has a black fiberglass liner. I was told not to glue it to that as it is not the actual bottom of the boat.

I need to get through that liner, so the hull is exposed and then I will mount it directly to the hull. So now I'm trying to figure out how to cut a hole in that liner. Any ides?