Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 VLX Wedge

jthwake

Just keep in mind that to upgrade to the floater, it will require a new mounting bracket. The plate that sits on the inside of the transom to reinforce the setup can be used again, but the bracket needs to be changed out since it's different. But it's a worthwhile upgrade for sure, it performs better than the fixed wedge in just about every way.

Ya I don't really want it to happen. When it does though.......I'll just B.O.A.T. :(

I have an 04 VLX that had the old style wedge. I actually spoke with a Malibu engineer about the problem and read about it in-depth on the Bakes topic.

The support arms on the "old style" are fabricated from Manganese Bronze which is similar to the Nibral material that the props are made from, the wedge foil is made from aluminum, and the bolts (on mine) were actually stainless steel. No wonder one side of mine sheared off while surfing! :Frustrated:

Pictures

I've talked with a friend of mine about fabricating an entire wedge assembly (foil and support arms) out of the same materials and welding the foil to the arms like the newer style. However, I'm a little hesitant to do so for fear of damage to the transom of my boat if it decides to let go again. Thoughts?

I've talked with a friend of mine about fabricating an entire wedge assembly (foil and support arms) out of the same materials and welding the foil to the arms like the newer style.

I'd do it! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed my 03 VLX had one of it's screw heads sheared off. I discovered that when I found out that we lost one of our pins that holds it in the down position. I took the wedge off and can see wear the two metals are negatively effecting each other. My wedge is eating away especially wear it meets the bracket arm. I didn't know if I could take it in to someone to weld the plate to the arms and beef it up. I'm also not sure were to get another pin for the old one. Or do I bite the bullet and get a new wedge with 3 holes or floating one that would cost me an extra $400-500 (new mounting bracket). I guess my other option would be to add more ballast in the lockers in the back and forget the wedge.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Modajones

I just noticed my 03 VLX had one of it's screw heads sheared off. I discovered that when I found out that we lost one of our pins that holds it in the down position. I took the wedge off and can see wear the two metals are negatively effecting each other. My wedge is eating away especially wear it meets the bracket arm. I didn't know if I could take it in to someone to weld the plate to the arms and beef it up. I'm also not sure were to get another pin for the old one. Or do I bite the bullet and get a new wedge with 3 holes or floating one that would cost me an extra $400-500 (new mounting bracket). I guess my other option would be to add more ballast in the lockers in the back and forget the wedge.

Any thoughts?

Thats our plan, so far. We have put bout 2500 lbs total in a few times. The boat sat great and had a pretty poppy wake. It surfs good too.

Thats our plan, so far. We have put bout 2500 lbs total in a few times. The boat sat great and had a pretty poppy wake. It surfs good too.

What's your plan? Welding or more ballast or floating wedge?

Upgrading to the floating wedge will yield the best performance and wake.

I tlaked with my local dealer and he says that the bracket for the floating wedge will not align with the holes from the old wedge and that I will have to do fiberglass work to fill in the old holes :( After hearing that I'll don't think I'll go to the floater. One guy told me just to screw a new screw in and go with that. All I know is my 14 yr old keeps asking if it will be ready for the weekend.

I tlaked with my local dealer and he says that the bracket for the floating wedge will not align with the holes from the old wedge and that I will have to do fiberglass work to fill in the old holes :( After hearing that I'll don't think I'll go to the floater. One guy told me just to screw a new screw in and go with that. All I know is my 14 yr old keeps asking if it will be ready for the weekend.

Well, myself & others here can speak to the contrary. The bracket for our floater (replacement for the broken fixed wedge) lined up perfectly. Your dealer needs to look at that again IMO.

Well, myself & others here can speak to the contrary. The bracket for our floater (replacement for the broken fixed wedge) lined up perfectly. Your dealer needs to look at that again IMO.

The Floater fit on my '04 23 WSLSV. Exact same bolt pattern on the bracket.

• 3 weeks later...

I put the floating wedge on my 05 VLX a couple months ago after the old wedge broke the first time I took it out after buying it from my neighbor. It was a perfect fit to the existing holes.

I also had the wedge break twice on my old 97 Sunsetter :rant: so I definitely wasn't interested in replacing it with the same type.

Based on what I read on here I was expecting better performance with the floating wedge as people have mentioned above but in my case it definitely hasn't been as good as the old wedge (another neighbor also has an 05 with the old style wedge and it definitely gives his wake better shape than mine but mine definitely looks better...I wish that mattered to me. I'm not sure why mine doesn't seem to perform as well as other crew members but at least I don't have to worry about any bolts shearing off.