Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Oil

I just purchased a 1999 Sunsetter LXI and am brand new to this site (Hello). As I was going over the boat, I realized that it appears to have standard motor oil (light golden brown in color) in the transmission. I have downloaded the Indmar operating manual and it says that this boat has either the ZF Hurth 450 A or D. The oil listed is Dexron II or II. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the correct manual and that it is suppose to have ATF fluid? Does anyone know if it is the 450A or 450D? Lastly, does anyone know if this damaged the transmission? Everything is working great.

I just purchased a 1999 Sunsetter LXI and am brand new to this site (Hello). As I was going over the boat, I realized that it appears to have standard motor oil (light golden brown in color) in the transmission. I have downloaded the Indmar operating manual and it says that this boat has either the ZF Hurth 450 A or D. The oil listed is Dexron II or II. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the correct manual and that it is suppose to have ATF fluid? Does anyone know if it is the 450A or 450D? Lastly, does anyone know if this damaged the transmission? Everything is working great.

I had the same concern when I bought my 95 Response, but I just thought the trans fluid was brown and needed to be changed. When I was at the dealer, I think they said that the tranny could use the ATF or the gear oil (can't remember what they said it was), and therefore said my fluid was ok. Anyways, I had them change it regardless and they put ATF back in. You should be ok, but as with anything you buy used, change all the fluids and put the recommended ATF Dexron II back in the trans.

are you sure you are checking the tranny and not the vdrive or comparable? as the tranny I doubt would run with the 30w oil that a vdrive holds. look closer to the engine you may see another dipstick.

martinarcher

I had the same concern when I bought my 95 Response, but I just thought the trans fluid was brown and needed to be changed. When I was at the dealer, I think they said that the tranny could use the ATF or the gear oil (can't remember what they said it was), and therefore said my fluid was ok. Anyways, I had them change it regardless and they put ATF back in. You should be ok, but as with anything you buy used, change all the fluids and put the recommended ATF Dexron II back in the trans.

Right on. I would drain it (pump it out) and fill it with ATF. Mine is a Borg Warner Velvet Drive and the BW manual states ATF.

Welcome to the forum!

The transmission should have a sticker/plate on it that states what model it is and the serial number (look towards the rear, back by the driveshaft). Should also have a sticker that lists what fluid to put in it. If not try reading the dipstick and see if it says on it.

My manual from malibu states the following:

ZF Hurth 450D, 450A, 630A and 630V all take Dexron II or III (the 450D holds 1.7 qt, the 450A holds 2.12). The only tranny in my manual that would have "brown" fluid would be the Walters V-drive, which states to use SAE 30 weight motor oil (0.5 quarts).

Double, triple, quadruple check to make 100% sure you have it right before messing with it. Transmissions are not cheap...

Good luck!

-- Mike

Edited by EchelonMike

are you sure you are checking the tranny and not the vdrive or comparable? as the tranny I doubt would run with the 30w oil that a vdrive holds. look closer to the engine you may see another dipstick.

He lists his boat as a Sunsetter LXi, which is a direct-drive. Welcome to the site, by the way!!

Edited by jcochrane007