Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ethanol -free gasoline

If it's critical to go ethanol-free, how do you find ethanol-free gas stations? Also, if you have to buy ethanol enriched(?) fuel, is it OK if you use Sta-bil ethanol treatment?

One thing to consider is what you do with your boat. I run high-grade no-ethanol for a couple of reasons. One, it is better for your fuel system and two, I am hard-core slalom only so I need to eek every horsepower out of my engine to run 38 and 39.

It is not too important as long as you keep the tank full. If the level is low the fuel will separate and the water will be on the bottom and that is where your pick up is. As long as no air is in the tank, you are good!

martinarcher

Also depends on how old you boat is. The older fuel systems were not designed to handle ethanol. The carburetor seals, fuel pump, gas lines, and tanks could certainly have shortened life spans and less than desirable performance when used with ethanol fuels. I get my gas a Kwik Fill here in PA. They are the only gas stations that sell gas from North American crude oil and is ethanol free.

It is not too important as long as you keep the tank full. If the level is low the fuel will separate and the water will be on the bottom and that is where your pick up is. As long as no air is in the tank, you are good!

I'm not a petroleum engineer but, I doubt there's much validity to that statement.

The rest of you guys need to read this.

I dont know about boats but it was very important on my 1996 Sea Doo. The ethanol had rotted the fuel lines and clogged the filter. Had to replace all the fuel lines and filter. dont know when fuel lines started to be made to handle ethanol.

I'm not a petroleum engineer

I so seldom hear reference to "petroleum engineers" that I had to respond to this by saying "I AM ONE!!!" and your right.... It's probably not factual. Thanks also for the link to the other post.

martinarcher

I so seldom hear reference to "petroleum engineers" that I had to respond to this by saying "I AM ONE!!!" and your right.... It's probably not factual. Thanks also for the link to the other post.

Nice! We have a resident expert! Yahoo.gif

:biggrin:

You're welcome. Glad we have a resident expert aboard.

Wait a minute...the OP asking the questions is a petroleum engineer. Isn’t that an oxy moron? (or something like that). :tease1::tomato::Doh:

Wait a minute...the OP asking the questions is a petroleum engineer. Isn’t that an oxy moron? (or something like that). :tease1::tomato::Doh:

Actually, petroleum engineers just get it out of the ground. Chemical engineers understand the chemistry of it. Mechanical engineers understand how it reacts with materials. the farthest i got in chemistry was organic chemistry and physical chemistry. =P

I've been lurking on this site this summer as I hope to own a new boat sooner than later, but thought I'd finally chime in on this issue. So here goes my first post.

I just wanted to caution everyone from relying on the pure gas site that was linked above. I see several stations in Missouri listed there, and to my knowledge, Missouri requires all gas sold in the state to contain 10% Ethanol, (except premium grade). I think this went into effect in 2008. I'm not sure if this is the case for other states as well.

I've been lurking on this site this summer as I hope to own a new boat sooner than later, but thought I'd finally chime in on this issue. So here goes my first post.

I just wanted to caution everyone from relying on the pure gas site that was linked above. I see several stations in Missouri listed there, and to my knowledge, Missouri requires all gas sold in the state to contain 10% Ethanol, (except premium grade). I think this went into effect in 2008. I'm not sure if this is the case for other states as well.

I think you're right- it's near-impossible to get ethanol-free gas in Missouri. I had a 1986 Celebrity and had to have the carb replaced after ~2 yrs of use. With fuel-injected engines, though, I don't think ethanol is as big of a problem.

I think you're right- it's near-impossible to get ethanol-free gas in Missouri. I had a 1986 Celebrity and had to have the carb replaced after ~2 yrs of use. With fuel-injected engines, though, I don't think ethanol is as big of a problem.

Missouri might be like TN where individual retailers can apply for an exception to the ethanol rule and get approval to sell 100% gasoline.

Missouri might be like TN where individual retailers can apply for an exception to the ethanol rule and get approval to sell 100% gasoline.

Dan,

Since you mentioned TN, do you know if there are any stations near Norris that sell only gas? All the ones I've been to in town and the marinas I've stopped at all had 10% Ethanol.

Huh? Something on the Internet not true?? Where's Al Gore??? I have a complaint! :tomato:

This whole Ethanol thing hurts my brain. Lets see our Government says that 10% Ethanol will keep the air clean and get us less dependent on oil. I lost almost 3 MPG on my trucks, I am using more fuel than I ever did. Do you think that there was a deal made with the corn growers?

The only big problems showing up right now with the Ethanol are in the 2 cycle engines. There has been a separation issue with the oil, gas and ethanol. Mix up what you will use with in a month and make sure that you use it.

martinarcher

Today I rolled into the local Kwik Fill station that I always fill the boat and truck with. They have been ethanol free thus far. I look up at the pump to see the dreaded, "may contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker. NNNOOOO! Guns.gifRanting.gifBash.gifFrustrated.gif

I talked to the lady inside and said the government had mandated that they accept 10% ethanol in their fuel. They were the last station in good distance from me to fall.

What's a guy with a 22 year old boat and a 39 year old truck to do? Dontknow.gif

Edited by martinarcher
martinarcher

Our Conoco stations in TN are Ethanol free. Try putting some E gas in a jar and set it on the shelf for a week. Observe what lurks on the bottom of the jar.

Exactly what worries me! Cry.gif

If your carb is in good shape ethanol shouldn't be a problem. You may want to replace the fuel lines if they are original.

Just don't leave that stuff sitting around, burn it and leave your tank empty over the winter. I got into the habit of only keeping 10-15 gallons of fuel in the boat at any given time, so there was always fresh stuff in the tank.

-Chris

martinarcher

If your carb is in good shape ethanol shouldn't be a problem. You may want to replace the fuel lines if they are original.

Just don't leave that stuff sitting around, burn it and leave your tank empty over the winter. I got into the habit of only keeping 10-15 gallons of fuel in the boat at any given time, so there was always fresh stuff in the tank.

-Chris

I do fill up every time out. We typically burn a half tank ever time the boat is out(at least once a week) so that helps. It just burns me that I'm buying gas for the same price, losing fuel economy, losing horsepower, and introducing a source of water! Ranting.gif