Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decals

We will be cleaning our boat up this weekend also. Should the decals be waxed? If not do you put anything on them, or just clean them with mild soap and water? We have some 3M boat wax that is supposed to be very good, Carnuba with additives.

i wax mine, it does not hurt them and I assume would be helpful. You may want to have some toothpicks or q-tips though incase you get too much wax around them since it will look like a line around the decal.

I would wax them,

short story, I was tied up to a freinds houseboat and did not notice the fender on his houseboat was rubbing on one of my drip molds I had just put on, well, it rubbed it dull. I was bummed! Since I had nothing to lose I tried my electric buffer and some wax looks as good as new

Edited by LS-One
I would wax them,

short story, I was tied up to a  freinds houseboat and did not notice the fender on his houseboat was rubbing on one of my drip molds I had just put on, well, it rubbed it dull. I was bummed! Since I had nothing to lose I tried my electric buffer and some wax looks as good as new

TMI about you being.... Where was your boat?

I would wax them,

short story, I was tied up to a  freinds houseboat and did not notice the fender on his houseboat was rubbing on one of my drip molds I had just put on, well, it rubbed it dull. I was bummed! Since I had nothing to lose I tried my electric buffer and some wax looks as good as new

TMI about you being.... Where was your boat?

OTFLMAO Tongue.gif

I think the drip molded would be okay, but I would be worried the others, like the tattoo, would get buffed off or messed up with a polisher.

Yeah, decals like that might. When I said buff I was thinking by hand--which is what I do. Might really like to try a buffer/polisher though. . .

They work, but you have to watch what you use so you don't get swirls or hazing. Also, the best ones don't just spin, the move side to side as well, which limits any marks.

I use the high speed polisher that Harbor Freight sells. It's around $59 and a direct knock off another brand, but it is louder. It works great and with the proper compounding and polishing pads, as well as the correct compunds and proper user. :)

I thought I read that there is something in the wax that will start lifting the edges of the decals. I am glad this is not true.

• 10 years later...

I wax over mine all the time, I do try and avoid the drip molds but it wipes off of them pretty easy as well.

Sorry guys, but I'm scratching my head on this. What is the drip molds? I'm fixing to put my first wax and buffer to my 07 boat. And I'm freaking out over it. I'm good fixing and repairing things. But I'm not at this detailing stuff.

Blue

formulaben

I polished mine with the buffer when I did my cut & polish...really cleaned them up! IMHO, no way the buffer will pull the adhesive if you're keeping it wet/damp.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, but I'm scratching my head on this. What is the drip molds? I'm fixing to put my first wax and buffer to my 07 boat. And I'm freaking out over it. I'm good fixing and repairing things. But I'm not at this detailing stuff.

Not sure if it was such a stupid questions it was just ignored. I'm only guessing here but is the drip rail mentioned here in this post the same thing as what is commonly referred to as the rub rail?

Blue

formulaben

I could be wrong here (as I really have no idea what "drip mold" means) but I've always taken it to be the thick 3D style decals, not the flat ones.

Edited by formulaben