Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard to start

I had a strange situation that happend twice yesterday. After running the boat for an hour or so we stopped about 45 minutes for lunch. The engine started but it would just idle roughly and it would not accelerate. After a few minutes everything started working again and it ran great until we stopped to visit a friend for about 30 minutes and the same thing happend but worse. I thought it might be a clogged fuel filter so I pulled the old one out and replaced it with a spare one I had. Even then the same problem existed. After trying for a while longer, it wouldn't even idle, then all of a sudden it started up and ran great till we pulled it out of the water (I din't even think of turning it off till then). The outside air temperature was close to 100 degrees but all the guages read normal as far as oil pressure and water temperature. I don't think that it's a fuel problem and was just wondering if there is some kind of electronic part that may be heating up and causing the engine not to start? Any experience in this type of problem or suggestions other than "don't turn the engine off"?

Thanks,

Dan

sounds like vapor lock.

lots of info. here if you will search for it.

Thanks, I had no idea so I'll do a search on it.

sounds like vapor lock.

lots of info. here if you will search for it.

I could see this happening if it was in a car running at hotter temps. and/or at really high altitudes but he lives right by me and I don't think that is the problem. Unless, he has really old gas.....they actually add additives during the winter for cold starts. Just my $.02

I could see this happening if it was in a car running at hotter temps. and/or at really high altitudes but he lives right by me and I don't think that is the problem. Unless, he has really old gas.....they actually add additives during the winter for cold starts. Just my $.02

Then you know that it was over 100 degrees on the Delta yesterday. After reading posts about vapor lock, I do think that this is what happened although it's the first time in six years. The gas has been in ther since my November winterization with Stabil, so it could be part of the problem.

Then you know that it was over 100 degrees on the Delta yesterday. After reading posts about vapor lock, I do think that this is what happened although it's the first time in six years. The gas has been in ther since my November winterization with Stabil, so it could be part of the problem.

Yeah, maybe. Vapor lock does not happen so much with fuel injected systems. The main problem with vapor lock is when the fuel bleeds back from the fuel pump back to the gas tank, which causes the fuel to take longer to get back to the engine. With the newer fuel systems vapored gases get sent back from the return line when the pressure is builds up from the fuel pump. Boat engines running at 160-170 should not have that problem even if you have old gas or stabilizers, it's the gas delivery that is most likely the root cause of the problem. I would bet the the injectors need a cleaning and you might want to check your fuel pressure, just my observation and $.02

Exact same thing with me yesterday, to a T. Engine has never given a hint of doing anything like that. We were actually being towed back and I tried to start it, 1st hit of the key and it ran. Will take 68's advice and look at it. Wasn't even that hot here, but we had been working it pretty hard. An '03 vlx in my case.

I have a 2001 Wakesetter which had the same problem. I found that cold it started fine, but after running in these high temps (100 degres +) after I shut down for a little while it would not restart. The problem I found is that when I turned the key on it sounded like the fuel pump was trying to prime every time I tried to start. I felt the fuel pump and it was hot. Eventually I got it started and when I pushed up the throttle it sent cooler fuel to the fuel pump and then the engine ran fine. The next time this problem happened I took my hose, which we use to fill the external fat sacks, and I ran cooler lake water over the fuel pump and the engine started fine on the first start. the problem I believe is the fuel pump gets hot in the engine box and the fuel vaporizes. Cool it off with water and it removes the problem. Hope this helps.

I have a 2001 Wakesetter which had the same problem. I found that cold it started fine, but after running in these high temps (100 degres +) after I shut down for a little while it would not restart. The problem I found is that when I turned the key on it sounded like the fuel pump was trying to prime every time I tried to start. I felt the fuel pump and it was hot. Eventually I got it started and when I pushed up the throttle it sent cooler fuel to the fuel pump and then the engine ran fine. The next time this problem happened I took my hose, which we use to fill the external fat sacks, and I ran cooler lake water over the fuel pump and the engine started fine on the first start. the problem I believe is the fuel pump gets hot in the engine box and the fuel vaporizes. Cool it off with water and it removes the problem. Hope this helps.

You're exactly right. I had the same problem and cool water on fuel pump worked every time. I had old gas from November and after draining the tank and refilling it has not happened. Fuel flowing though the pump while running keeps it cool but when you are sitting with engine off the engine heats the pump up and causes the fuel to vaporize (like you said).