Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Lift Springs

3 hours ago, Chaabo said:

Nope. It’s possibly different on your boat, but I was referring to a Response like mentioned (way) above.

The hinges for the motor box, (not the ball mounts for the gas struts) are mounted to a square aluminum tube that runs from left to right just in front of the removable floor piece behind the motor box. The factory glues carpet around that tube, so it’s not very obvious that this piece is not just another floor section. That’s what I had to fix on my boat. The strut mounts all had been solid.

Sorry if I may have misinterpreted your posting and caused some confusion here.

Well can you tell what kind of screws/bolts are on the ball hinge strut plates

2 hours ago, Chaabo said:

I never removed them. Probably just metal sheet screws.

Dang, you're lucky... They seem pretty rigid when the engine cover is opened and kind of bounces?

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 8:18 AM, Michigan boarder said:

That is a beautiful engine!

On the hinges, I used resin.  When I tried to fill with epoxy I used a small tube and it just kept going in, it seemed to have nothing behind it to hold it there.  So, I mixed resin, and waited for it to thicken just a bit and squirted that in, and it didn't all drain away. 

Well my strut mounts made it halfway through summer. Seems the bolts stripped my floor holes and the small 3/8" hardware mounting the strut to the engine box have started to strip and fall out as well. What type of hardware did you use on your floor and engine box?

Also my floor mount s flex a decent amount when closing

Edited by DOJOLOACH2
5 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Well my strut mounts made it halfway through summer. Seems the bolts stripped my floor holes and the small 3/8" hardware mounting the strut to the engine box have started to strip and fall out as well. What type of hardware did you use on your floor and engine box?

Also my floor mount s flex a decent amount when closing

I just used pan head stainless steel screws on the floor, and stainless nuts and bolts on the engine cover.

12 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I just used pan head stainless steel screws on the floor, and stainless nuts and bolts on the engine cover.

Oh are the nuts visible from outside the hatch?

How long, can you remember?

Edited by DOJOLOACH2
On 7/17/2020 at 3:30 PM, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Oh are the nuts visible from outside the hatch?

How long, can you remember?

In my case yes, the bolt head is, but they shouldn't be. When I had the interior redone they bolted them thru, but they should be buried under the carpeting.

I can't recall the length, but if you run the bolt head from the outside in then the length is not really an issue.  Probably go with 1" bolts.