Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tragedy on Lake Wylie

Intense

An 8 year old boy lost his life this weekend in 'my' cove. News link

It's really sad that this happened and even weirder that something like this happened so close to where we regularly ride.

We definitely saw several police cars, a couple ambulances, all kinds of sheriff and paramedic boats. We had actually been riding in another cove Saturday morning and we coming back to my dock to drop a couple folks off when we saw all the commotion. When we saw a diver in the water, I feared the worse.

What really irks me is other boaters continued to tube and chop up the water in the cove, making efforts at rescue and recovery a challenge. As soon as I saw the police and rescue in the water, I slowed to idle and made sure not to wake.

Also, to add more detail to the story...evidently, the rope had gotten caught in the prop and was starting to wind the tube in. I guess the father had put the boat in neutral (but NOT turned off the motor) to free the rope. At which point, the control got bumped into gear and the boy fell off the boat and into the prop.

My condolences to the family for the loss of their son. Such a tragic end to a weekend

Really sad. I can't even imagine how the father feels at this time.

I noticed that the story says that it was an inboard, but I would assume that the story is wrong and that it was an I/O. Easy to see how the boy could get himself into an I/O prop, but would be much harder to get into an inboard prop.

Edited by obski

I don't know if I would ever be able to go boating again if it were my son.

It is a safety reminder of how careful we have to remain, especially on the things we do consistently and take them for granted.

I don't know if I would ever be able to go boating again if it were my son.

It is a safety reminder of how careful we have to remain, especially on the things we do consistently and take them for granted.

I don't have kids yet but I think that would seal the deal for me. I would prob never get on the water again. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. I can't imagine a worse feeling as a parent.

That's terrible. It happens that fast, your life is changed forever. Death, paralysis, etc. As a parent is amazing how dangerous everything around you is, with cars and trucks and objects hurtling or spinning thru the air with very little control over them. But you can't live in a hole or keep everyone locked up.

Like WMH said, learn from it and don't take things for granted.

An 8 year old boy lost his life this weekend in 'my' cove. News link

It's really sad that this happened and even weirder that something like this happened so close to where we regularly ride.

We definitely saw several police cars, a couple ambulances, all kinds of sheriff and paramedic boats. We had actually been riding in another cove Saturday morning and we coming back to my dock to drop a couple folks off when we saw all the commotion. When we saw a diver in the water, I feared the worse.

What really irks me is other boaters continued to tube and chop up the water in the cove, making efforts at rescue and recovery a challenge. As soon as I saw the police and rescue in the water, I slowed to idle and made sure not to wake.

Also, to add more detail to the story...evidently, the rope had gotten caught in the prop and was starting to wind the tube in. I guess the father had put the boat in neutral (but NOT turned off the motor) to free the rope. At which point, the control got bumped into gear and the boy fell off the boat and into the prop.

My condolences to the family for the loss of their son. Such a tragic end to a weekend

Sad story, another reason to know a little about being on the water. We had a guy out yesterday pulling a tuber swerving between boats at about 30mph, just a complete idiot. Granted the water ways were busy but I had a rider out waiting for this bone head to pass as did two other groups.

Edited by 68Slalom

I don't have kids yet but I think that would seal the deal for me. I would prob never get on the water again. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. I can't imagine a worse feeling as a parent.

As a parent of 2 very young boys, this story really hits home with me. If I lost one of them in a boating accident I know certainly I could never even look at a boat again. The lesson learned here for me is to always shut the boat down and pull the safety lanyard when someone is directly behind the boat or on the platform. I have to admit that I've not been very good about that. A few extra starters and installation over the life of the boat is well worth the safety of human life. My thoughts and prayers are with this family as well.

Man it can be dangerous. One of my friends killed his dog doing a powerturn over the weekend. People need to learn how to boat. NO POWER TURNS!!!

So sad. How a day of fun can turn out so bad. Can't quite picture how this happened. Article said it was an inboard, how could he have fallen overboard and hit the prop on an inboard unless he went overboard from the bow and the boat ran over him.

I have only owned I/O's, there is a trigger you have to pull up before you can push the throttle into gear so it is not to easy to "accidentally" put the boat in gear. I would assume there is some safety feature on the throttle shifter of an inboard or v drive boat.

Last time my friend's rope got wrapped around the prop he put it in neutral shut it off and as he was about to jump in to clear the rope said, "take out the ignition key and put it in the glove box". He still felt nervous working around the prop but all turned out well. Simple safety precautions can go a long way to avoiding tragedies.

Terrible, just terrible. I was around there 2 weeks ago and I can't imagine the pain of the father.

Take the key out when working around the prop and the engine should definitely be off.

Tragic.

The only time I wrapped a rope aroung my prop, I had a boat full of people. I took the keys out of the ignition and put them in the glove box and gave a VERY stern 'order' not to mess with the keys until I was done swimming. A couple times when I came up to breath, I told them AGAIN not to even think about messing with my keys while I was under the boat...thinking one of them would think it was funny to start the engine while I was under the boat to scare me or something.

I don't get how this happened? The kid was in the boat, and all the sudden the boat started up, which threw him out of the boat and into the water?

Did he fall out of the front and get ran over or did he fall off the back and right onto the prop?

And did the boat start up or did it get put into gear? I find it hard to believe that the engine just came to life.

I, for one, would never be able to go in that boat again. I would have a lot of trouble living with myself to be honest.

I hope drinking wasn't involved as it usually is.

These kinds of situations also lead to a whole family breaking apart. The wife/kids may blame the husband, depression, anger, etc may be a big issue for them later on so I hope they get thru that at least. Reading stuff like this really makes me think about safety more. I'm pretty safe already but there is always room for more.

So sad. How a day of fun can turn out so bad. Can't quite picture how this happened. Article said it was an inboard, how could he have fallen overboard and hit the prop on an inboard unless he went overboard from the bow and the boat ran over him.

Remember, this was written by a non-boat owning (probably) writer. I'm pretty sure the boat was a stern drive. Which most non-boaters, would probably call an 'inboard'. It's not like these people are paid to be factually correct.

I don't get how this happened? The kid was in the boat, and all the sudden the boat started up, which threw him out of the boat and into the water?

Did he fall out of the front and get ran over or did he fall off the back and right onto the prop?

And did the boat start up or did it get put into gear? I find it hard to believe that the engine just came to life.

I was trying to figure out what happened, as well. From what I've been able to gather, the boy fell out of the boat and got run over. Whether he fell over the side or front, I can't find out. And if he fell off the side, how did he find himself under the prop? I'm not sure.

It seems like there was some inattention or negligence on the part of the driver.

The end result is still the same...someone left this planet prematurely.