Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Man, that was fun!

Michigan boarder

Had our first full day on the lake yesterday for my son's 10th B-day party. Taught 2 kids how to board, pulled a bunch on the tube, watched a goup of 9 boys play king of the water trampoline for hours. A really well-matched group, at the end of the day there really was no champion. Hot dogs and ice cream sandwiches. Every seen the Orka water gun? Makes an orka whale sound when you fill it, pretty neat. I got a decent suntan, had to reapply block later in the day. Tornado touched down 15 miles north of us, and the airport 25 miles south of us recorded 68mph winds. We had a trace of rain and 15mph winds... pretty much the sky parted for us and we dodged everything.

I gotta say, I love my boat. Purred like a kitten, showed some experienced boater kids the power and maneuverability of a DD versus I/O's and center console fishing boats. Most of the time it was less than 30mph, put the hammer down a few times and did some turns. I ran and sounded perfect. It looks fantastic. We were the only boat on the lake except for one pontoon and two speedboats later in the day, one of them just floating and tanning. We really had fun. My wife has the camera and all the pics.

**Heavy sigh** Looking forward to next weekend.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Had our first full day on the lake yesterday for my son's 10th B-day party. Taught 2 kids how to board, pulled a bunch on the tube, watched a goup of 9 boys play king of the water trampoline for hours. A really well-matched group, at the end of the day there really was no champion. Hot dogs and ice cream sandwiches. Every seen the Orka water gun? Makes an orka whale sound when you fill it, pretty neat. I got a decent suntan, had to reapply block later in the day. Tornado touched down 15 miles north of us, and the airport 25 miles south of us recorded 68mph winds. We had a trace of rain and 15mph winds... pretty much the sky parted for us and we dodged everything.

I gotta say, I love my boat. Purred like a kitten, showed some experienced boater kids the power and maneuverability of a DD versus I/O's and center console fishing boats. Most of the time it was less than 30mph, put the hammer down a few times and did some turns. I ran and sounded perfect. It looks fantastic. We were the only boat on the lake except for one pontoon and two speedboats later in the day, one of them just floating and tanning. We really had fun. My wife has the camera and all the pics.

Sounds like it was a great day. Makes me want to cry though as I have yet to get my Bu wet. :cry:

I almost started a "Who had a great father's day" thread because of how good mine was. Didn't do it, so I'll share here.

Spent all day Saturday with my wife and kids just hanging out and then went to Texas Road House for steaks in the evening. Sunday I got up at 7 with the kids and went 1 hour north to golf with my Mom and Dad (first round of the season, we won't talk about that.) Let the kids swim at the pool at the course for 30 minutes, went for late lunch and ice cream and drove home.

When we got to the house, my wife had the cooler packed with sandwiches and drinks (she hates golf and anything related to golf) and said "Let's go to the lake". It was 5:30pm. Put the boat in at 6pm, idled up the lake, caught the last of the water ski show from the water, idled further up the lake and ate sandwiches by the sand bar, cruised back to the landing after about 2 hours. My wife, who has until now refused to even drive the boat unless I make her says "Push me out and I'll load it on the trailer, you get the truck."

Me "Really?"

Her "If we're going to have this thing, I might as well learn to be helpful."

Me "Really?"

Her "Well there is noone here and it's calm so why not?"

Me "Really?"

Her "Go get the truck."

So, after thinking that this is the reason I haven't replaced the rubrail yet, I did. Backed it in and gave her some advice from shore. Left my 12 year old in the boat with her in case she got too frustrated he could take over. Also told him to keep his mouth shut until asked for advice. He really pushes her buttons sometimes and I didn't want it to get out of hand.

Told her to take it slow, in and out of gear. One circle and one false load later (she was on the trailer but didn't think it was centered, so she backed off) I was attaching the bow strap and cranking it tight. Then we got to the prep area and she opened the motor box, pulled the plug, closed the motor box and closed the windshield for driving home. I didn't have to get back in the boat for anything. The kids pulled the weeds off the boat and trailer and we were home by 8:45. Hosed off the rest at home and put it in the garage just as it went dark for the night. What a great father's day.

Glad you had a great day as well, MB.

I almost started a "Who had a great father's day" thread because of how good mine was. Didn't do it, so I'll share here.

Spent all day Saturday with my wife and kids just hanging out and then went to Texas Road House for steaks in the evening. Sunday I got up at 7 with the kids and went 1 hour north to golf with my Mom and Dad (first round of the season, we won't talk about that.) Let the kids swim at the pool at the course for 30 minutes, went for late lunch and ice cream and drove home.

When we got to the house, my wife had the cooler packed with sandwiches and drinks (she hates golf and anything related to golf) and said "Let's go to the lake". It was 5:30pm. Put the boat in at 6pm, idled up the lake, caught the last of the water ski show from the water, idled further up the lake and ate sandwiches by the sand bar, cruised back to the landing after about 2 hours. My wife, who has until now refused to even drive the boat unless I make her says "Push me out and I'll load it on the trailer, you get the truck."

Me "Really?"

Her "If we're going to have this thing, I might as well learn to be helpful."

Me "Really?"

Her "Well there is noone here and it's calm so why not?"

Me "Really?"

Her "Go get the truck."

So, after thinking that this is the reason I haven't replaced the rubrail yet, I did. Backed it in and gave her some advice from shore. Left my 12 year old in the boat with her in case she got too frustrated he could take over. Also told him to keep his mouth shut until asked for advice. He really pushes her buttons sometimes and I didn't want it to get out of hand.

Told her to take it slow, in and out of gear. One circle and one false load later (she was on the trailer but didn't think it was centered, so she backed off) I was attaching the bow strap and cranking it tight. Then we got to the prep area and she opened the motor box, pulled the plug, closed the motor box and closed the windshield for driving home. I didn't have to get back in the boat for anything. The kids pulled the weeds off the boat and trailer and we were home by 8:45. Hosed off the rest at home and put it in the garage just as it went dark for the night. What a great father's day.

Glad you had a great day as well, MB.

Good for her! Sounds like a great day for you too. My father's day we were on day 2 of no power from storms and a generator blaring, laundry piling, etc. So we bailed from our inland lake and went to the house with power near Lake Michigan for some toes in the sand, frisbee, a quick hike back thru the dunes, and burgers for dinner with a "Dirty Bast***" microbrew.

Yesterday my wife went for a ride with the women and then tried putting it on the lift with a pretty good cross-breeze, as I stand on the pier ready to assist.

Her (laughing) "Here's when he yells at me"

Me (smiling) "I won't yell at you if you do it right"

She bumps the bow and the back drifts over, no way it's going to work. So we laugh, I jump in and show her to: #1 go against the wind (told her 1000 times), #2 on your approach have the back end at 30 degrees to the left, so when you hit reverse it swings right (also...1000 times).

Her (smiling) "Or I just get it close enough for you to do it"

Me "yes, that works too."

Oh well. At least she's a good golf cart driver.

MalibuNation

I've been taking a lot of new kids boarding for the first time ... they get right up on their first try ... I'd like to think its my instruction :crazy:

..................So, after thinking that this is the reason I haven't replaced the rubrail yet, I did. Backed it in and gave her some advice from shore. Left my 12 year old in the boat with her in case she got too frustrated he could take over. Also told him to keep his mouth shut until asked for advice. He really pushes her buttons sometimes and I didn't want it to get out of hand.......................

:rofl::thumbup:

Good for her! Sounds like a great day for you too. My father's day we were on day 2 of no power from storms and a generator blaring, laundry piling, etc. So we bailed from our inland lake and went to the house with power near Lake Michigan for some toes in the sand, frisbee, a quick hike back thru the dunes, and burgers for dinner with a "Dirty Bast***" microbrew.

Yesterday my wife went for a ride with the women and then tried putting it on the lift with a pretty good cross-breeze, as I stand on the pier ready to assist.

Her (laughing) "Here's when he yells at me"

Me (smiling) "I won't yell at you if you do it right"

She bumps the bow and the back drifts over, no way it's going to work. So we laugh, I jump in and show her to: #1 go against the wind (told her 1000 times), #2 on your approach have the back end at 30 degrees to the left, so when you hit reverse it swings right (also...1000 times).

Her (smiling) "Or I just get it close enough for you to do it"

Me "yes, that works too."

Oh well. At least she's a good golf cart driver.

Great story!

We had a day like that yesterday weather wise, it finally feels like summer here in Calif. :yahoo:

Edited by 68Slalom

My fathers' day was a good one as well. First day out with the new boat

Slight variation on the Hook 'em Horns

4720205494_91ce70de92_b.jpg

Left all he had on the water

4719555889_36f96085ca_b.jpg

As we pulled away

4719556205_bce20315f3_b.jpg

:rofl::thumbup:

Ha ha. You have to understand that with her health issues, any day out of the house is kind of a big deal. The boy has come out with me alone and practiced, he also takes direction very well from me as I've coached his various teams since he was little. If I raise my voice to him, he doesn't get flustered, he understands that I'm not attacking him but that whatever I'm saying is URGENT. If I raise my voice to her, she just gets pissed off. (see below)

She doesn't take initiative on many things and this was a HUGE deal for her to do. I was very glad for me and the kids, and happy for her that she stepped up and offered. Normally she's happier being a wallflower and not getting involved. Two weeks prior she was sitting up in our open bow as my brother's boat came alongside, closed bow first. She sat there and looked at them rather than extending her arm to keep the boats apart. I may have bit all the way through my tongue on that one.

I just wanted a backup plan in place so I didn't have to go for a swim to help.

Sidenote: If anyone reading this coaches their own kids, watch the old version of "Miracle on Ice" with your child. When the coach is talking to Mike Eruzione about taking the heat of his yelling for the team instead of for himself as an individual, pause it and let your child know that sometimes you want everyone to hear what you are saying, but you may not be able to talk to every kid on the team in that tone, so you may single your child out to take the "heat". It has worked well for us and those little "inside jokes" between us bring us closer together. Give a wink or a pat on the back to let them know you are doing it. And tell them again on the way home, just to be sure.

I have had parents tell me I'm too hard on my own child, to which I respond "You think so? Huh. I'll work on that." My son just looks over and smiles. I have been telling him for years if he would rather not have me on the bench, I'd step down that day rather than make him uncomfortable.

My fathers' day was a good one as well. First day out with the new boat

Looks awesome ScooterM. Thanks for coming back, many that buy other boats don't, I think everyone should be welcome. It's more important that you're in an inboard than in one particular brand IMO. I'd personally like to see pics of that beauty on the water. :thumbup:

JK 13 . it is great your wife is going for it. It sure is nice having someone that knows what to do just in case of an emergency. On a serious topic every boater that goes out with kids and wives and girlfriends really needs to take time to educate those around us on how boats stop and start and dock etc..... I have been a very serious ocean sailer for several decades and I have trained a bunch of people how to start an engine and come back in case a person goes overboard ( especially me ) . Going 50 to 100 miles offshore and island sailing means that if you take a fall off the boat you really need people that can run the boat if only to get it back where you are. I have seen a few minor sking and boarding accidents and having an extra boat driver or two is a good thing. My daughter is now 17 and she has been able to drive and dock either of our boats since she was about 12. Respect for the water and the awesome horsepower of a v8 ski boat and the awesome responsibility of keeping people away from the prop is something we can't over do. scott