Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Clunk in rear of boat upon acceleration

Hey all. I have a 2007 VLX that has 50 hours on it....bought it in March with 16 hours...like new and have maintenance records....great to be in the Malibu family....boat is awesome!!

I do have a question....I notice that sometimes (usually after reversing to stop and pick up fallen surfer or wakeboarder) when I accelerate to get person out of the water, I will hear a clunk sound in the rear of the boat. What could this be and where should I start the troubleshooting?

Prop tighness? Drive shaft? Transmission?

Thanks!

Ken

Edited by KenD

Hey all. I have a 2007 VLX that has 50 hours on it....bought it in March with 16 hours...like new and have maintenance records....great to be in the Malibu family....boat is awesome!!

I do have a question....I notice that sometimes (usually after reversing to stop and pick up fallen surfer or wakeboarder) when I accelerate to get person out of the water, I will hear a clunk sound in the rear of the boat. What could this be and where should I start the troubleshooting?

Prop tighness? Drive shaft? Transmission?

Thanks!

Ken

Look at the four bolts that hold the drive shaft together; make sure they are all tight.

Have you checked to make sure your platform pins are both there? Is your wedge door closed tight? Any chance you have an anchor or something sliding around in the rear lockers or in the in-floor storage?

Any vibration at all under acceleration or running? Rudder and wedge tight? What wedge does that boat have?

Platform pins set, wedge is automatic. Nothing in lockers....almost sounds like a slip then clunk/bump when accelerating...not heavy acceleration...pulling surfer. Wedge is down when I hear clunk. I wonder if wedge is moving some...need to check that too...

On a side note, I do feel some rudder vidration when accelerating in the steering wheel...

My boat does the same thing. It sounds like a wrench or something is hitting the transom. I have looked all over and have not seen anything loose. I think mine might be the engine backfiring a little making a clunk sound.

Have you checked the prop nut, (there should also be a cotter case and pin securely installed) it could be walking on the shaft but also as woody recommended the four flange bolts.

Edited by 68Slalom

Appreciate it!!!!

I need to check the prop nut....I did notice that there is no cotter pin on that nut...just the prop and a single nut. How tight do I need to make it? Also, do I holde the drive shaft as I tighten the nut? Will look at the flange bolts....are they visible in the engine compartment or by the fuel pump compartment under rear seat?

Appreciate it!!!!

I need to check the prop nut....I did notice that there is no cotter pin on that nut...just the prop and a single nut. How tight do I need to make it? Also, do I holde the drive shaft as I tighten the nut? Will look at the flange bolts....are they visible in the engine compartment or by the fuel pump compartment under rear seat?

You'll need to get into your engine compartment to find the shaft flange, (and those should be torqued properly and in sequence if they are loose) also if you know anyone with some mechanical experience that would help also, on tightening the nut on the prop that would help you'll need to tighten it enough to match the holes on the nut with the shaft to get a stainless steel cotter pin inserted.

Hope that helps!

Since your going to be down there checking the prop, also check the key. Sometimes the key will become worn allowing the prop to spin just a little bit on the shaft. Not totally sure if that can cause a clunk or not but it seems like it might. Just one more thing to check on :biggrin:

• 3 years later...

I get this same clunk sound when first taking off with a boarder behind. I don't have it when not loaded up with weight. Its almost like there is slop or something in the driveline.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Might save me some time in investigation.