Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dripless shaft seal

Sick and tired of adjusting my packing and the sore back it causes every month. I'm going to spring for a dripless system, probably PSS unless there are better ideas. Where is the cheapest place to get one of these, and does anyone know if there are any problems installing it into my 93 Echelon? There's not much room between the shaft log and the rear tranny hub. I know I have a double tapered shaft so shouldn't be too hard getting the shaft out. Not sure if I need to pull the rudder. Thanks.

Discount Inboard Marine carries them. They work quite well, will fit an Echelon. Should not be a problem with the rudder still installed it looks like there is enough room since you will be pulling the coupling out to install the seal.

Discount Inboard Marine carries them. They work quite well, will fit an Echelon. Should not be a problem with the rudder still installed it looks like there is enough room since you will be pulling the coupling out to install the seal.

The XPC Dripless shaft seal system is offered by Malibu as an option. DIM carries it as well.

The XPC Dripless shaft seal system is offered by Malibu as an option. DIM carries it as well.

Which is better? XPC or PSS? It doesn't look like either system has anything rubbing directly on the shaft. correct? They both claim no maintenance. XPC is cheaper. Thanks for your help.

Which is better? XPC or PSS? It doesn't look like either system has anything rubbing directly on the shaft. correct? They both claim no maintenance. XPC is cheaper. Thanks for your help.

I have used the OJ XPC seal and it works great. You should find them for under $150 online.