Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS3-ENGINE OVERHEATING-NEED HELP

jkendallmsce

to all LS3 engine owners:

Upon starting from 'cold", and idling thru the 5 mph no wake zone (ABOUT 10 MINUTES), the engine alarm triggers and the engine temp runs up to about 200 degrees....every time. This weekend it even ran up to 200 degrees after we had been sitting for approx an hour.

malibu tells me the engine has air pockets, and to rev up the engine to flush those air pockets out the exhaust. My opinion is that the thermostat needs to be replaced since it is sticking. The engine has approx 24 hours on it, and has triggered the alarm every time when started from cold!!

I am wondering how these air pockets are getting into the engine??, and maybe there is a leak somewhere?? Since I have never had a problem like this on any other boat I have owned in the past 20 years.

Anyone having the same problem with their LS3?? If so, have you fixed it??

And is this a problem that I will have to deal with for the life of the boat???

thanks

Edited by jkendallmsce

Has the boat ever been run out of the water?? If so the impeller may have fried and is not sucking up enough water.

Could be a bunch of crap got sucked up into the strainer under the boat. Could be that crap got up into the oil cooler.

Are there times it is OK??? Once you get out of the 5mph zone and get some speed is it ok??

jkendallmsce

NOt sure about the impellor condition. I have never run it dry (out of the water)....our lake is pretty darn clean as it is 1 miles below New Melones (we are on lake Tullock).

Malibu had the boat all of last week. They returned the boat with absolutely no paperwork, so I am not sure what was done to address our puchlist of items.

It's not the thermostat.

Do you have a heater in the boat?

Currently I'd recommend a few "revs" while warming up to help purge air. Sort of "hot-rodder" like...

Peter

jkendallmsce

It's not the thermostat.

Do you have a heater in the boat?

Currently I'd recommend a few "revs" while warming up to help purge air. Sort of "hot-rodder" like...

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I talked to Indmar, and they explained how and why the LS3 is more prone to this problem.

And yes it does have a heater. ANd just as you said, a few pumps/gulps of gas to purge the air outta the engine should do it. Which is what I have been doing. Kinda old school, when the thermostat sticks.

Always tough teaching old folks new tricks!! ha ha Lots to learn about all the bells and whistles on thee new boats.

Thanks Peter,

I talked to Indmar, and they explained how and why the LS3 is more prone to this problem.

And yes it does have a heater. ANd just as you said, a few pumps/gulps of gas to purge the air outta the engine should do it. Which is what I have been doing. Kinda old school, when the thermostat sticks.

Always tough teaching old folks new tricks!! ha ha Lots to learn about all the bells and whistles on thee new boats.

Yeah, it is the thermostat!!!!! No water to heat it up and make it open, just playing :lol: