Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quagga and Zebra Mussel Inspection Protocals

2006Maliblue

The decontamination stations at the reservoirs here are a little out of control. After returning from a Lake Mead trip they tried to insist on hosing down every inch of carpet, seating etc., with 140 degree water until it was 'soaking wet' to ensure no mussels or larve were alive. This seemed excessive. We finally agreed on washing the trailer, hull of boat, running the engine, and hosing down the bilge. They tried to fake-a-lake to the ballast intakes on bottom of hull but the pumps wouldn't pick up the water - possibly because typically the pumps are below waterline and have an easier time priming? Anyway, they gave up and let me go.

The easier way to kill the mussel, i think, would be to use the KCL solution described in this information bulletin from Utah government wildlife. either pour the solution into the ballast system or pump it into the ballast system.

it is an older document (2007) but informative.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/quagga/pdf/boat_inspection.pdf

Thanks C, that is probably the best documentation I have seen yet explaining how to deal with them, why and practical ways to do it. I would think manufacturers would have already jumped on this by providing holding tanks for KCL solution with easy fill access so you could douse your tanks when you pull the boat out and also release some into your bilge. I would also say that the company that does this first and demonstrates to the inspection bodies that they have an effictive realiable decontamination system for the ballast and bilge will have a competetive advantage in some geographies.

Edited by MalibuTime

Thanks C, that is probably the best documentation I have seen yet explaining how to deal with them, why and practical ways to do it. I would think manufacturers would have already jumped on this by providing holding tanks for KCL solution with easy fill access so you could douse your tanks when you pull the boat out and also release some into your bilge. I would also say that the company that does this first and demonstrates to the inspection bodies that they have an effictive realiable decontamination system for the ballast and bilge will have a competetive advantage in some geographies.

i think the solution is pretty simple.

pre-mix a strong kcl solution before going to the lake and fill several of the rc fuel bottles (see picture). At the end of the day (at the boat launch) add the solution to your tanks/bags by emptying a bottle down the overflow drain thru-hulls. this will get the strong kcl solution into the ballast tank/bag.

carry the Utah article and some test strips with you to show the officer that the water coming out your drains is treated.

For those that are not aware, KCl is the more expensive water softening salt (about $18. for 40# bag) (apparently it softens the water without making it so difficult to get the soap off after washing with it).

the bottle lists at $5.69

ofnp0160.jpg

Edited by Cervelo