Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat pics and road trip story

msuwaterski

So here is the picture story about my road trip to pick up my new to me 2001' Sunsetter LXI. This will be several posts long with multiple pictures so enjoy.

Three buddies and I drove all night Friday June 11th from Ann Arbor MI to DC to pick up my new boat. Saturday morning started great as we picked my new boat!

DSCF0013.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

We drove a few hours Saturday afternoon and ended up at Youghiogheny River Lake in PA. We quickly set up camp and spent Saturday evening and Sunday morning breaking in the new BU.

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

We packed up Sunday around noon and headed to another lake in OH for more camping and boating. We never made it. On the PA turnpike all hell broke loose. We hit a monster pot hole that bounced the trailer off the ground and when it landed the port side leaf spring broke, tearing the axle off the trailer mount and bringing the wheel well frame to a rest on the tire, which brought us to a screaching smoking stop on the side of the highway. We sat there for 3 hours before help came. It was Sunday night in Podunk PA and no one could fix our problem. I had to watch as my baby got towed off to a hickville shop to spend the night without me.

DSCF0061.jpg

IMG_3643.jpgIMG_3645.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

Edited by msuwaterski

Tying to make lemonade out of the lemons we had been delt, we found a nice campground and set up shop with all of the tools needed to drink away the problems of the day (water of course). Just about the time the sun went down and we got settled in to a nice campfire the sky opened up and proceeded to dump terenchal rain on us for the remainder of the night. What a day.

IMG_3651.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

Edited by msuwaterski

So Monday morning I woke up at 6am and drove to the shop where my boat was. They had removed the broken leaf spring and pointed me in the direction of getting a new one, which of course was nowhere near where we were. So I let my buddies sleep in while I drove an hour and 15 minutes to Uniontown PA, waited an hour to get the leaf spring back, drove the hour 15 back, waited a half hour for the shop to put it on the trailer, and then loaded up and drove 6 hours home. We got home at 5:30 Monday night, which left me exactly 20 minutes to unpack, shower, pack up again for a business trip, and drive to the airport to catch a 7pm flight. To say that I was stressed to the max would be an understatement!

My baby is home safe now at we have put 15 hours on her in the last 2 weeks and could not be happier with our purchase.

I hope you have enjoyed my story.

Jeff

martinarcher

Subscribed and waiting...nothin' like a good story.

Right on!

Bummer about the leaf. Just thinking about the PA turnpike raises my blood pressure. If you can ever get up to 80, take it instead. Smooth sailing, less cops, way less construction and jersey barriers, etc.

The boat looks like an awesome find! Love the colors and the tower!

Great story telling in pictures and words.

You've got a great boat, also.

Sorry about the pothole mishap.

Of the 46 states I've been in Michigan and Pennsylvania have the worst roads in my unscientific experience.

North Carolina, the best.

Of the 46 states I've been in Michigan and Pennsylvania have the worst roads in my unscientific experience.

Lived there once. :plus1:

I'm guessing Illinois is not one of the 46. Roads are terrible here.

Thanks for sharing.

I have spent more than my fair share of time on the PA turnpike. I remember hitting a PA pothole so deep that after it bounced me and ripped open my tire after being pinned against the rim, that I sat and watched countless other hapless souls hit the same pothole. They were all also bounced and several ended up with the same fate I had.

I love the look of the boat. Sounds like it will be getting lots of use. :yahoo:

I'm guessing Illinois is not one of the 46. Roads are terrible here.

POP QUIZ:

How does one drive from Oregon to Michigan without going through Illinois ?

Answer: When you get to Iowa head for the southern border, proceed south through the entire state of Missouri, then east through Kentucky, then north through the entire state of Indiana, and presto you are in Michigan.

That's one heck of a detour especially if your intention is to go through Niagara Falls on your way to Maine.

POP QUIZ:

Answer: When you get to Iowa head for the southern border, proceed south through the entire state of Missouri, then east through Kentucky, then north through the entire state of Indiana, and presto you are in Michigan.

That's one heck of a detour especially if your intention is to go through Niagara Falls on your way to Maine.

What did you do to get yourself barred from Illinois? That should be a good story too.

MSU - Congrats again on the purchase. The boat looks great.

POP QUIZ:

The other option is to head north and go through ND, MN, WI and the UP of Michigan and down. Then through Port Huron to Sarnia and Cananda to Niagra.

What did you do to get yourself barred from Illinois? That should be a good story too.

MSU - Congrats again on the purchase. The boat looks great.

He was packing heat....:biggrin:

Congrats, the SLXI is still one of the best boats made, period.