Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water pump

Had the boat out Memorial Day weekend with 8-10 people in the boat and were surfing. Noticed that the boat had taken on a bit of water, but didn't think much of it.

Had a busy few weeks and hadn't been back in the water until Friday. Launched and drove across the lake to the dock. While pulling in to the dock, the temp alarm went off. Shut off the engine and opened the engine compartment and had water streaming from near the impeller side of the water pump. Pumped out the water and moored the boat. Made a few calls to see if anyone had a water pump in stock. Went to pull the boat out on Saturday morning and it had a ton of water in the subfloor. If the water pump seal was broken, would water free flow into the boat? I thought the pump was above the water line, but there must have been enough displacement to force water in.....is this normal or do I have another problem?

Also, had the impeller replaced at a dealer about 5 boating hours before, wondering if they didn't get it sealed correctly.

Not happy, hopefully we can get it back in the water before the holiday weekend. Family took the week after the 4th off for vacation at the cabin.

Had the boat out Memorial Day weekend with 8-10 people in the boat and were surfing. Noticed that the boat had taken on a bit of water, but didn't think much of it.

Had a busy few weeks and hadn't been back in the water until Friday. Launched and drove across the lake to the dock. While pulling in to the dock, the temp alarm went off. Shut off the engine and opened the engine compartment and had water streaming from near the impeller side of the water pump. Pumped out the water and moored the boat. Made a few calls to see if anyone had a water pump in stock. Went to pull the boat out on Saturday morning and it had a ton of water in the subfloor. If the water pump seal was broken, would water free flow into the boat? I thought the pump was above the water line, but there must have been enough displacement to force water in.....is this normal or do I have another problem?

Also, had the impeller replaced at a dealer about 5 boating hours before, wondering if they didn't get it sealed correctly.

Not happy, hopefully we can get it back in the water before the holiday weekend. Family took the week after the 4th off for vacation at the cabin.

Sorry to hear of the trouble. The engine has two "pumps" - one is the raw water pump, which houses a changable impeller. It is mounted on the front of the engine, driven off the crank on 99.9% of most of the recent malibu boats the last 10+ years. The raw water pump feeds water to the engine, and the engine has a traditional "automotive style" water pump to circulate the water through the engine. Which one did you see water streaming from?

Do you have a fake-a-lake, where you can start the boat in the driveway hooked to the hose? If so I would hook it up to the hose, open up the engine hatch/access, start the engine, and see where the water is coming from. It could be a ruptured hose, or the raw water pump is having a problem, especially given the dealer just worked on it a few hours prior.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear of the trouble. The engine has two "pumps" - one is the raw water pump, which houses a changable impeller. It is mounted on the front of the engine, driven off the crank on 99.9% of most of the recent malibu boats the last 10+ years. The raw water pump feeds water to the engine, and the engine has a traditional "automotive style" water pump to circulate the water through the engine. Which one did you see water streaming from?

Do you have a fake-a-lake, where you can start the boat in the driveway hooked to the hose? If so I would hook it up to the hose, open up the engine hatch/access, start the engine, and see where the water is coming from. It could be a ruptured hose, or the raw water pump is having a problem, especially given the dealer just worked on it a few hours prior.

Good luck!

As many have found out, the trans cooler can collect bits and pieces of old impellar chunks. It only takes a minute to check to see if it is clear. I would give it a look so your weekend is not cut short.

• 10 months later...

Had water spewing from the impellar this weekend while out on the lake. Not a constant stream, but enough to get about 4 inches of water in the bottom of the boat. Pulled out the impellar and took the housing off and found that the housing wiggles a bit. Also there is a gasket that seems to have come loose in between the housing and the mounting plate to the engine. I'm guessing it's not supposed to do that...

Considering it's a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter and this is the first "major" repair I've had to do, I think I'm lucky. In any case, would like to hear if anyone has had this issue before and if it's best to just get a new housing.

Had water spewing from the impellar this weekend while out on the lake. Not a constant stream, but enough to get about 4 inches of water in the bottom of the boat. Pulled out the impellar and took the housing off and found that the housing wiggles a bit. Also there is a gasket that seems to have come loose in between the housing and the mounting plate to the engine. I'm guessing it's not supposed to do that...

Considering it's a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter and this is the first "major" repair I've had to do, I think I'm lucky. In any case, would like to hear if anyone has had this issue before and if it's best to just get a new housing.

you should not need a new housing if coming from the engine side of the johnson pump. There is a little gasket/seal back there that is accessible after removing impeller that skf makes a replacement for. I'll see if I can find part number. pop it out, new seal in, should be good to go. $3

but as to overheating issue, the gasket in impeller housing I suppose could have gone bad to to pressure...I'd look at input to circ pump for debris that made it past tranny cooler.

Edited by 85 Barefoot