Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stop Rain Getting in Around Tower

Tao of Wake

I did a search and didn't find anything relevant, so please help if you have any ideas.

My Bu is on a hoist all summer long, and I find quite a lot of water under the seats where the tower meets the boat. I assume it is due to rain getting in around the tower since the cover doesn't fit snug around it. I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas - or if there is an accessory for the cover - to stop the rain getting in. I had a couple of ideas: (1) Some type of cone that would strap tightly to the tower and extend over the cover where it meets the tower; (2) A neoprene sock with a velcro closure that would go around the tower and down over the cover. Anyone done anything like this, have any other good ideas or know of an accessory that solves this? My cover is fairly new and in great shape, so I don't want to replace it. I would also like to avoid having any custom work done to the cover as it would involve taking the boat out of the water to put in storage while the cover was being modified. If the consensus is that this is the best solution, I could wait until the fall when I take it out for the winter and have it done, but in this case, I would like some temporary solution for this summer. I was thinking about getting a skirt sewn into the bottom of the cover to help prevent fading of the gel coat from the sun. My brother-in-law just replaced the cover on his 2002 Sunsetter and had this done.

I also have the same problem, although we don't get a lot of rain in my area. Unfortunately my Bu has to sleep outside until we sell our house and I can buy something with a decent driveway and garage! I'm sure you have already thought about it, Why not put a roof over your hoist? Seems like a quick fix?

We're in a condo, and the association does not allow canopies on our hoists. Even if we could, I couldn't afford getting one.

I understand you probably have an illusion tower so, my fix won't be exactly what you may be able to do but, I had sleeves installed at my tower leg bases and wrap a quick piece of velcro around the top of the sleeve real tight. Would it be possible for you to run a couple wraps of saran wrap around the tower base to keep the water out? Otherwise, I think you're on the right track with the skirt or sock idea.

Image021.jpg

I has the same problem with mo 05 VLX cover...illusion tower. Took it to an upolstry shop and had them sew a piece that goes up the tower about a foot. Velcros around the front and has a clasp at the top. No more water getting through.

A little off topic, but what tower is that you got Pete. Mine is the same and I have been trying to get a name for it so I can order a bimini. It's on a 99 Sunsetter VLX.

I have the same problem with my cover leaking around the illusion tower, the elastic is a little loose, so I got a couple of those fabric round style bungee cords, the ones that come in a plastic container with all the different lengths , just wrapped one around the top of the cover around the tower, nice and tight, keeps the rain out. Cheap too. and doesn't look bad either as the right length were black, same color as my cover. :thumbup:

I had boots sewn into the cover on my 2004. My 2008 already had boots, but still leaked. Pallet wrap took care of it. My local Lowes has it.

• 4 years later...

Any Axis '14 and below owners have a fix for this? Fit around the tower is terrible on the stock cover. Rain water runs right down the cover into the holes around the rear tower support.

Any Axis '14 and below owners have a fix for this? Fit around the tower is terrible on the stock cover. Rain water runs right down the cover into the holes around the rear tower support.

Same here. 2014 A22. Rain runs down and pools in the floor right where the driver feet are. I've been going back and forth on what I can do to fix it. I don't really want to put Reynolds wrap around my tower arms each time. I had thought about the cone idea too but thought it'd look like a hillbilly (like the Reynolds wrap). In the time being, I've just unsnapped my carpet at the drivers feet and folded it back, and laid a towel down to catch any rain drips. We are in and out of the boat quite often so I don't think mildew will be an issue with the small amount that gets in and is soaked up by the towel. Its more of a PITA to step in on wet carpet.

Edited by ac88926