Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Am I nuts?

I'd like to change the oil tomorrow but I don't have a filter and honestly the boat got very little use last year. (Its embarrassing how little it got used...) I have a back injury i'm nursing as well and crawling into the trunk does not sound like something I really want to do...

I know lots of people have changed oil and not a filter, but in 22 yrs of changing oil on internal combustion engines I never have changed oil without changing filter too.

Am I nuts for doing it???

Confused in Cali...

<edit> line 3

Edited by Faceplant409

flame off.

i hesitate to drop my humble opinion because i know i will get jumped on.

yes, a filter is cheap and an engine is expensive and

i know there is only one right way to do this.

given what you said i would think that running the old filter one more oil change isn't going to degrade your engine or it's life significantly.

i might even be tempted to change the oil/filter a tad early next time.

flame on.

martinarcher

If it got used that little I would hold off until you have a filter to do the job right. You should be good for 50 hours. Got a buddy that you could offer a beer in exchange for crawling in there to spin the old filter off? Whistling.gif

I have no idea so i asked Mr. G who found an answer from Mr. Y.

As long as the filter isn't full, of whatever they get full of, it will still filter. YMMV. Not sure how you are supposed to tell whether the filter still has filtering capacity though?

link to article:http://autos.yahoo.com/owning/maintain/repairqa/qa.html?question=ques119&category=Air+Filters+%26+Oil&topics=qaairfil%01qalubric%01qaengoil

An engine's main line of defense against abrasion and the premature wear it causes is the oil filter. The filter's job is to remove solid contaminants such as dirt, carbon and metal particles from the oil before they can damage bearing, journal and cylinder wall surfaces in the engine. The more dirt and other contaminants the filter can trap and hold, the better.

In today's engines, all the oil that's picked up by the oil pump is routed through the filter before it goes to the crankshaft bearings, cam bearings and valvetrain. This is called "full-flow" filtration. It's an efficient way of removing contaminants, and it assures only filtered oil is supplied to the engine. In time, though, accumulated dirt and debris trapped by the filter begin to obstruct the flow of oil. The filter should be changed before it reaches this point, which is why the filter needs to be replaced when the oil is changed.

If you wait too long to change the filter, there's a danger that it might become plugged....

I'd like to change the oil tomorrow but I don't have a filter and honestly the boat got very little use last year. (Its embarrassing how little it got used...) I have a back injury i'm nursing as well and crawling into the trunk does not sound like something I really want to do...

I know lots of people have changed oil and not a filter, but in 22 yrs of changing oil on internal combustion engines I never have.

Am I nuts for doing it???

Confused in Cali...

In 22 years you have never changed an oil filter. Please tell me that's a typo? :shocked:

Delay a week or two until your back is better to do your boat.

Change the oil in your lawnmower and snowblower instead.

Spend the extra time accumulating the proper filter, replacement sump gasket ring, and oil.

Pick up some rubber gloves from Costco or wherever, maybe some blue towels.

Change the filter with the oil.

You will feel better later having known you did the right thing.

In 22 years you have never changed an oil filter. Please tell me that's a typo? :shocked:

"I know lots of people have changed oil and not a filter" - "but I never have" No typo, he has never changed the oil without changing the filter. Clear as day. :crazy:

will your engine grenade 5 minutes after changing the oil and not the filter? No. Is changing the filter super easy and cheap? You betcha.

If you elect to do the change w/o filter, I would say it will shorten the life span of the new oil due to mixing with the old oil. Guess you could say you should bump your next service interval up.

I also would say that if someone wants to use the boat while you have a hurt back it is going to be better to change the oil w/o the filter than to skip the change and let the boat get used. But again bump up your next change.

I changed the filter too.... I found a Napa store open locally. :thumbup: My back is going to remind me I did this tomorrow though. :(

Bummer is I change impeller every 2 yrs and of course this is the year. I'll save that for when the back is better... I'm sure I'll be fine because the last 2 impellers I took out looked as good as the new ones but it still makes me nervous. This is the first time out of the garage this year. Taking a bunch of kids out this next weekend. No riding for Daddy...

Edited by Faceplant409
martinarcher

I changed the filter too.... I found a Napa store open locally. :thumbup: My back is going to remind me I did this tomorrow though. :(

Bummer is I change impeller every 2 yrs and of course this is the year. I'll save that for when the back is better... I'm sure I'll be fine because the last 2 impellers I took out looked as good as the new ones but it still makes me nervous. This is the first time out of the garage this year. Taking a bunch of kids out this next weekend. No riding for Daddy...

Yahoo.gif Whoo hoo. Good deal.

I wouldn't worry about the impeller. Get to it when you can. Like you, I change mine every two years and the have always looked fine.