Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine stalling when wakesurfing???

Umatilla Matt

I just got a wakesurf board and I went out today to try it for the first time behind my 97' Sunsetter LX with the Monsoon engine. We had been wakeboarding all morning with no problems. But when I filled the fat sacs and got the boat leaning to the passenger's side, the engine just sputtered and would not take off. Tried to start it again and it would run for about 2 seconds and then die. Tried to start it a few more times and eventually it wouldn't even run at all. I did get it to start and run by revving it up in neutral, but it would stall as soon as I returned it to idle.

My first thought was that I was low on fuel and the leaning was pushing all the gas to one side of the tank, but I removed the rear seat and I had half a tank. Me and my buddies drained all the fat sacs out and checked the engine over for any obvious problems. It was probably sitting about 10 minutes before I tried it again and it started right up. Ran fine, no problems!

We filled the sacs up again and decided to try to surf again. The boat ran fine for about 45 minutes while we were trying to surf. Then on one run it stalled again while my buddy was turning around to pick me up. My buddy started it and it ran fine again. We drained the sacs and went back to wakeboarding for another 3 hours and it was completely fine.

Has anyone else had this problems while trying to surf? I didn't think tilting the engine should matter, after all, it is a boat. Or could it be something else completely unrelated and it just happened to us when we tried to surf? Any ideas???

Look in the take at the pick up tube and see what side of the tank it is sitting on. I know when my boat is set for surfing I can make a half tank empty on one side with out a problem. Try to have the pick up in the back center.

Look in the take at the pick up tube and see what side of the tank it is sitting on. I know when my boat is set for surfing I can make a half tank empty on one side with out a problem. Try to have the pick up in the back center.

I thought my pickup tube was in the low spot on the bottom center of the tank. Maybe not. We couldn't see real well today when we were looking out on the lake. I'll check it out tomorrow. I hope its something that simple! Does that mean that the engine will stall if I drive in circles on half a tank? :crazy:

i know this sounds dumb, maybe surf first? I have the same boat as you and sometimes if i'm out wakeboarding for 4-5 hrs and then surf, my tank reads empty and the fuel light comes on. I think the pick up is on the starboard side too. If you can, just carry a few gas cans in your truck and fill up b4 surfing.

i know this sounds dumb, maybe surf first? I have the same boat as you and sometimes if i'm out wakeboarding for 4-5 hrs and then surf, my tank reads empty and the fuel light comes on. I think the pick up is on the starboard side too. If you can, just carry a few gas cans in your truck and fill up b4 surfing.

That's a good idea. I noticed the gas gauge read between empty and a 1/8 tank when the boat was leaning. I haven't had a chance to check where the fuel line pickup is yet. If it is on the starboard side, I could just try and surf on that side. I ride a wakeboard goofy footed anyways even though I'm right handed. I only weighted the other side because I heard the wave would be better. You'd think whoever designed these boats would put the pickup in the center. That would make more sense.

I have had the same problem with stalling while surfing with my 1993 echelon. It either stalls out or is almost impossible to start until the boat is level. This is with a 3/4th of a tank full. It happens if we surf right or left side it doesn't matter.

your wake will be almost the same on either side. We have goof footers on our boat and we surf both sides. I think the wake is about the same.

I have an update for you guys:

Went out today wakeboarding and the boat did the same thing when we stopped for a break about 2 hours into our day. Started it, put it in gear and it stalled. Would only run for 2-3 seconds and eventually would only crank. With the blower running we got a heavy odor of gas. If we let it sit for 10 mins or so it would idle for about a minute and then stall. Finally, we gave up and swam it back in.

I'm thinking fuel pump?

Feel free to chime in!

I've done some research on this site and my problem sounds an awful lot like vapor lock.

I've recently had many of the same symptoms. It's at the dealer now & mechanic said I had a lot of water in the gas tank.

Probably a good guess. Did it restart and run fine after a long cooldown?

Yes, it did! Definitely vapor lock. We actually surfed yesterday with only 1/4 tank. Thanks anyways for all the help!