Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil in bildge - possible oil leak

I recently bought a 2008 Malibu Wakesetter VLX with the Indmar 340. When I bought the boat, the bildge area was clean. Even though the Mailbu dealer said the oil had been changed at the end of last season by the owner ( there was no record, looked clean ) I decided to have my local Malibu Dealer change the oil & filter to be sure, and perform a complete summer preperation. I did not check the bildge area after the pre season work. After 4-5 hours of running, I noticed that the bildge area all under the deck has quite a bit of oil in it, so I suspect an oil leak. I have lost about 1 to 1 1/2 litres ( quarts ) of oil in 10 hours of operation. No burning oil detected. 100 operating hours now on the engine. I replaced the oil with the recommended 15W40 oil. Besides checking the oil filter for tightness, and the brass oil drain plug at the end of the drain hose, what else should I look at. The boat is still under warranty, but the dealer who performed the work is 4 hours away.. If it is an easy fix, I will do it myself. Is it possible that there is a leak in the oil sending unit ??? I will have to buy some bildge cleaner to clean up the mess...

Do you see actual oil or just the film on top??

If you have lost that much oil, you'd see it dripping from somewhere...

Pull your side panels and get in there with a flashlight and a rag. Put a fake a lake on then try it with the motor running.

Good luck!

<edit> If it is just the shiny film on top, chances are that it's just residual from spillage during filter removal/replacement. I use tin foil lined with rags to catch it but others aren't so anal...

Edited by Faceplant409

Do you see actual oil or just the film on top??

If you have lost that much oil, you'd see it dripping from somewhere...

Pull your side panels and get in there with a flashlight and a rag. Put a fake a lake on then try it with the motor running.

Good luck!

<edit> If it is just the shiny film on top, chances are that it's just residual from spillage during filter removal/replacement. I use tin foil lined with rags to catch it but others aren't so anal...

Thanks, I will get in there and have a good look. Lots of oil visible, not just a film. Heading up to the cottage now..

One time I changed a filter and the old gasket stuck to the filter adapter so when I spun on the new filter the gaskets did not meet right....BIG mess when I started it up...

One time I changed a filter and the old gasket stuck to the filter adapter so when I spun on the new filter the gaskets did not meet right....BIG mess when I started it up...

Thanks for the info. No oil around the filter. Oil appears to be on the underside of the oil pan..

Edited by Canada08VLX

I would check several fasteners for tightness, starting with the valve covers and the oil pan bolts. Oil filters can come loose shortly after an oil change, I would snug it up (good point on the potential double or no gasket issue). The oil drain fitting might also be loose. That seems like a significant level of oil use/loss, these boats should go an entire season (50+ hours) without using any oil, even with significant hours on them.

To clean, water mixed with dish soap works quite well.

Thanks for the info. No oil around the filter. Oil appears to be on the underside of the oil pan..

my original post should have included that i didn't find any signs of oil near the sending switch "T" but it was leaking there.

was not much in the way of witness marks near the sending units or oil filter.

i was convinced that the rear main was leaking.

it's worth another, closer, look.

• 1 month later...

Has there been any update/resolution to this original poster's problem? I seem to have a very similar situation with the same engine and year. :cry: Plan to look a little closer today at the areas described so far above.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update on my issue here. The leak was from the valve cover gasket. Repaired under warranty and my dealer handled things very well for me. :thumbup: