Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 LSV Cooler

Roselaw1

I have a 2010 23' LSV and am loving it so far. However, I do have one issue with the boat. I am perplexed as to why Malibu didn't hinge the cushion lid on the built in cooler. Does anyone have any reason why the lid could not be hinged. The cushion over what I would call the ski storage area (on opposite side) is hinged, so why couldn't the same hinge be used on the cooler cushion? Also, does anyone know where I can get the hinge? Thanks in advance for your input.

watch your swing for any conflicts with adjacent obstacles - watch your install to avoid damage to any upholstery - take a screw out of the hinged one and get the correct length- you may have to install something to limit the swing like a small guage chain or cable

if I recall correctly it's a piano hinge - and you should be able purchase one at your local hardware store - or marine supply place - get something stainless

should be an easy project - throw up some pics when you get it done

Strange. My 2008 LSV has hinged cushion lid on the built in cooler. 2010 stops doing that? Why?

Ya, I was surprised too. I had seen hinged on VLX and even on my buddy's v-ride. Why Malibu stopped on the LSV is beyond me. I had a 2003 LSV and its cooler also was not hinged and, as a consequence, we rarely used the cooler. The only reason I can see for no hinge is the lid would not open if the cockpit seat was pushed all the way to the rear, as there would not be enough clearance.

c'mon malibu, there is no good reason to remove that hinge! Mine is hinged and it could be a slight hassle lifting up towards you (backwards hinge) but its much better than lifting the cushion all the way off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 23' LSV and am loving it so far. However, I do have one issue with the boat. I am perplexed as to why Malibu didn't hinge the cushion lid on the built in cooler. Does anyone have any reason why the lid could not be hinged. The cushion over what I would call the ski storage area (on opposite side) is hinged, so why couldn't the same hinge be used on the cooler cushion? Also, does anyone know where I can get the hinge? Thanks in advance for your input.

that is strange. My 2101 LSV is hinged over the cooler. I got a very early 2010 so maybe they stopped doing it?

Mark

I was lucky enough to spot that change on a showroom boat before I ordered mine. I could not imagine having to move a cushion that big every time I needed to get into the cooler. Even worse, if kids had to do it. The corners of the cushion would be battered in no time. I asked Malibu if they would put mine on a hinge, and they did. My best guess why they stopped doing it is people were snapping off the hinge and looking at it as a warranty item.

If you are going to retrofit, I would get the vinyl pull tab, screws, and hinge from Malibu.

If the crew is small, I find it is way more convenient to use a cooler with a quick access flap and store it in the walkway.

A few guys have complained about the hinged seats saying that they or their crew are steppin on the seat & it's flipping open. I think there was a mod online at some point moving the seat to make it not happen. I have never had the problem though so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I was lucky enough to spot that change on a showroom boat before I ordered mine. I could not imagine having to move a cushion that big every time I needed to get into the cooler. Even worse, if kids had to do it. The corners of the cushion would be battered in no time. I asked Malibu if they would put mine on a hinge, and they did. My best guess why they stopped doing it is people were snapping off the hinge and looking at it as a warranty item.

If you are going to retrofit, I would get the vinyl pull tab, screws, and hinge from Malibu.

If the crew is small, I find it is way more convenient to use a cooler with a quick access flap and store it in the walkway.

Do you have any pics please?? ;)

A few guys have complained about the hinged seats saying that they or their crew are steppin on the seat & it's flipping open. I think there was a mod online at some point moving the seat to make it not happen. I have never had the problem though so I didn't pay much attention to it.

This has been true for us on our 2007 23 LSV. Several people (mostly landlubbers) have nearly taken a header when they boarded and stepped on the edge of the cushion, the lid flipped open and it just about launched them. Now when someone boards from that side, I just place my foot on the back of the cushion and issue warnings. Smile.gif

I would not want to change to a non-hinged design, however.

Do you have any pics please?? ;)

Sorry, I do not have pix and the boat is far away. It looks like every 23 LSV up until 2010 when they stopped using the hinge. PM me if you need a photo and I will get one this weekend.

Edited by skyskier

My 08 is hinged but the opposite way from what i would have wanted it. it opens from the side of the boat towards the center. its a pain in the a$$ to get a beer out of the cooler, unless i swivel the seat around. im thinking of putting the hinge on the other side. but as i think about it the seat may be too thick where it wouldnt allow the seat to open all the way.

• 3 weeks later...

that is strange. My 2101 LSV is hinged over the cooler. I got a very early 2010 so maybe they stopped doing it?

Mark

Can you take a picture of your hinged cooler and email ([email protected]) it to me? I am planning on hinging mine in the off season.

Thanks

Not sure how that's possible... I tried to "step and flip" the seat on my 2008 23LSV.... not going to happen There's just not rnough overhang on the seat to cause it to flip up.

Here ya go

That cooler seems small for the 23LSV. I guess they changed it. I have a 2007 23LSV and my cooler is the whole cushion. To be honest I've never used it as a cooler. I use it to put wet stuff in such as a deflated tube, wet fenders/docking lines or even shoes. I find it keeps the interior cleaner. The cooler is so large it would take too much ice to fill up.

My 2005 23 LSV had the big cooler. There was no insulation around it and it was impossible to keep ice in it. They went to the smaller cooler in 2008.

Look at the black cooler in my photo. That is what I use now. The velcro flap makes for easy access to a chilly.

Not sure how that's possible... I tried to "step and flip" the seat on my 2008 23LSV.... not going to happen There's just not rnough overhang on the seat to cause it to flip up.

The only seat that flips on mine is the center cushion in the rear. When getting back into the boat after a set, if you step on the forward half of the center cushion, it flips off and you can crack your head into the bimini. On the newer LSVs Malibu has eliminated the center cushion altogether.

The only seat that flips on mine is the center cushion in the rear. When getting back into the boat after a set, if you step on the forward half of the center cushion, it flips off and you can crack your head into the bimini. On the newer LSVs Malibu has eliminated the center cushion altogether.

I had the same problem, I had Malibu added two tabs under seats and the problem was solved..