Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Random Thoughts

Ndawg12

1. Is it normal for a dealership to charge for a surfboard demo? We discussed a possible demo 2 times before I actually took a board for a week and no mention of a charge. Returned it spotless, and they hit me up for $25, not a huge deal, just wondered if that's normal.

2. Got a new Kidde fire extinguisher, don't know where to mount it. Where does the factory mount them, or more specifically, on a vRide? Or have you changed the location and think it works better somewhere else?

3. Witnessed my first vapor lock tonight. Loaded up ballast and cruised around for a while messing with the surf wake, then boarded for a half hour. Pulled into a cove and sat for another half hour. Started up the boat and after I put it in gear the rpm's dropped to 250. It choked and coughed for about another 30 seconds before it finally gave up and stalled. I actually smiled, I've been waiting for this to happen to me, my wife started to get flustered but I calmed her down and said all that time with TMC is about to pay off :rockon: Hatches open, blower on, wet towel around fuel pump and lines. One beer later and we're on the way :thumbup:

4. I tested my home made box anchor tonight, rock solid :thumbup: I need a couple more boats to tie up to for a real test, I've heard of one small box anchor holding 5+ ski boats.

5. If anyone finds an Obrien Diesel 141 somewhere between Charlotte and Mooresville, how about grabbing that for me..:Doh:

6. I've tried to wake surf twice now. Never been able to go ropeless, one time our wake was really small but the second time it was big enough. I'm sure all waves have different sweetspots but I was told that in general you want the tip of your board lined up with the corner of the boat, any truth to that?

7. Manual wedge down, 400 in ss rear locker, 500 on ss seat, 500 midship, 500 ss in bow. 10.4 mph. Should I be able to surf this? My XXX slasher hasn't arrived yet but I wanted to see what it looked like.

post-8316-127753098824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

1. Is it normal for a dealership to charge for a surfboard demo? Depending on the shop yes it's normal. We discussed a possible demo 2 times before I actually took a board for a week and no mention of a charge. Returned it spotless, and they hit me up for $25, not a huge deal, just wondered if that's normal.

2. Got a new Kidde fire extinguisher, don't know where to mount it. Where does the factory mount them, or more specifically, on a vRide? Or have you changed the location and think it works better somewhere else? Mount that thing where it's out of the way yet easily accessbile for you and the passengers.

3. Witnessed my first vapor lock tonight. Loaded up ballast and cruised around for a while messing with the surf wake, then boarded for a half hour. Pulled into a cove and sat for another half hour. Started up the boat and after I put it in gear the rpm's dropped to 250. It choked and coughed for about another 30 seconds before it finally gave up and stalled. I actually smiled, I've been waiting for this to happen to me, my wife started to get flustered but I calmed her down and said all that time with TMC is about to pay off :rockon: Hatches open, blower on, wet towel around fuel pump and lines. One beer later and we're on the way :thumbup:Quick thinking Macgyver.

4. I tested my home made box anchor tonight, rock solid :thumbup: I need a couple more boats to tie up to for a real test, I've heard of one small box anchor holding 5+ ski boats. Did you hear that from me? I've held that many boats with mine before during a double up wakeboard comp on a small lake. That was a true test for sure.

5. If anyone finds an Obrien Diesel 141 somewhere between Charlotte and Mooresville, how about grabbing that for me..:Doh:Ummm never mind.

6. I've tried to wake surf twice now. Never been able to go ropeless, one time our wake was really small but the second time it was big enough. I'm sure all waves have different sweetspots but I was told that in general you want the tip of your board lined up with the corner of the boat, any truth to that? I've never heard that before but it seems that is the general direction the board is pointing while surfing.

7. Manual wedge down, 400 in ss rear locker, 500 on ss seat, 500 midship, 500 ss in bow. 10.4 mph. Should I be able to surf this? My XXX slasher hasn't arrived yet but I wanted to see what it looked like. Can you swap the 500 with the 400 in the rear? Sounds like you might need a taller wave while you're getting used to it. Wave looks pretty good though. That slasher will make things easier for you.

1. Is it normal for a dealership to charge for a surfboard demo?

I've found that most any shop that does demos and charges will normally apply the demo price toward your new purchase.

I've found that most any shop that does demos and charges will normally apply the demo price toward your new purchase.

:plus1:

Talked to a shop last week that charges $50 per demo PER DAY (wakeboard or wakesurf). Even if you demo more than one, however much you pay goes toward purchase price. So I guess as long as I could find something I like in their shop, it'd be fine, if it comes down to that.

Good thing that Diesel was free, huh? :Doh:

having the same boat (but surfing on the other side) I'd agree with a bit more weight in the rear. I'm actually going to stack my 400 from the bow on top of my 750 in the locker today and see how that goes.

I also had to slow ours down to get sufficient push. We surf at 9.6. That's not gps verified ... maybe I'll take the GPS along today and do that.

Hi, A couple of questions regarding the vapor lock...Is this that common? I have a 2005 Response. Should I expect this whenever I am out boating? Isn't there any way to "fix" the problem? I had a similar issue yesterday at lake. Tubed, etc. for awhile. Pulled up to a raft to swim and mess around 30-40 min. later boat did not start. Had to get towed back to boat ramp. Hence the reason I am today replying to random thoughts and not actually out boating.

So, when you say hatches open--are you referring to the engine cover?

Wet towel on fuel pump----HOW LONG? 5-10 min.?

I just bought boat last August and had just commented about how much I loved my new Malibu boat!!! Not feeling the love at the moment.

That wave looks pretty decent. I'm with 06, swap the 400 and 500. More weight in the rear = taller wave.

Glad to hear the vapor lock threads payed off. Clap.gif

I can't swap them, I replaced my hard tanks with the fly high 400's. But maybe I could stack my 500 on top of it..??

Hi, A couple of questions regarding the vapor lock...Is this that common? I have a 2005 Response. Should I expect this whenever I am out boating? Isn't there any way to "fix" the problem? I had a similar issue yesterday at lake. Tubed, etc. for awhile. Pulled up to a raft to swim and mess around 30-40 min. later boat did not start. Had to get towed back to boat ramp. Hence the reason I am today replying to random thoughts and not actually out boating.

So, when you say hatches open--are you referring to the engine cover?

Wet towel on fuel pump----HOW LONG? 5-10 min.?

I just bought boat last August and had just commented about how much I loved my new Malibu boat!!! Not feeling the love at the moment.

Yeah, for you, open your dog house, turn your blower on, find your fuel pump, put a towel over it and any lines that are attached to it and close to the engine, pour 1/2 of a cold bottle of water on it, wait 5 minutes, pour the rest. Wait another 10 minutes. At least that's how I did it.

:plus1:

Talked to a shop last week that charges $50 per demo PER DAY (wakeboard or wakesurf). Even if you demo more than one, however much you pay goes toward purchase price. So I guess as long as I could find something I like in their shop, it'd be fine, if it comes down to that.

Good thing that Diesel was free, huh? :Doh:

Ha! You've been paying attention :biggrin: I'm not too broken up about it, but I did switch my binding over to it and now I don't have any :Doh:

Good thing they didn't charge me $50 per day. I wasn't able to get it back to them for a week!!

I still have my hard tanks in. Filled that surfside, added a 750 as full as we could get it, and then a 400 on top of that, probably half full (so we could close the locker still).

THAT will give you a very decent, very surfable wave. I'd be scared to go any bigger, as that put our gas cap about three inches from the waterline while under power with the wedge down.

• 1 month later...

Ndawg12

I just saw this thread in a search for something else. We have the same boat and I also had a vapor lock

issue about a month ago. Very hot day and had been boarding for a few hours. We shut the boat off and had lunch

at a friends lake house for about an hour or so. Boat was sitting in sun with engine hatch closed.

We went back out with the intensions of surfing due to the blown out water conditions. The boat fired right up. We made our way to our favorite surf spot close to the dam and shut the boat off to fill bags. After about 20 or 30 minutes or so we finished and the boat would not crank. I was not as educated as you....so we just sat there. After another 30 or 40 minutes with the engine cover raised the boat cranked but ran very ragged. I jumped in the water with

old yeller (loogey) to surf and then the boat stalled and would not re-start. Called my buddy and got towed back to ramp. At the ramp I tried it again...you guessed it ...fired right up and purred like a kitten!

A few days later after some research, I insulated the fuel lines and pump with pipe insulation. I have been back out on

very hot days and so far so good!

I would say your surf wave looks good. I have a 750 in the rear (no hard tanks anymore) and 5-600 lbs on the surf side seat. Middle full, and maybe 250-300 in the nose. Last time we were out I could ride all day but would like a longer pocket. May try more up front.

Tim

Ndawg12

I just saw this thread in a search for something else. We have the same boat and I also had a vapor lock

issue about a month ago. Very hot day and had been boarding for a few hours. We shut the boat off and had lunch

at a friends lake house for about an hour or so. Boat was sitting in sun with engine hatch closed.

We went back out with the intensions of surfing due to the blown out water conditions. The boat fired right up. We made our way to our favorite surf spot close to the dam and shut the boat off to fill bags. After about 20 or 30 minutes or so we finished and the boat would not crank. I was not as educated as you....so we just sat there. After another 30 or 40 minutes with the engine cover raised the boat cranked but ran very ragged. I jumped in the water with

old yeller (loogey) to surf and then the boat stalled and would not re-start. Called my buddy and got towed back to ramp. At the ramp I tried it again...you guessed it ...fired right up and purred like a kitten!

A few days later after some research, I insulated the fuel lines and pump with pipe insulation. I have been back out on

very hot days and so far so good!

I would say your surf wave looks good. I have a 750 in the rear (no hard tanks anymore) and 5-600 lbs on the surf side seat. Middle full, and maybe 250-300 in the nose. Last time we were out I could ride all day but would like a longer pocket. May try more up front.

Tim

First of all, you need to get on here more, you missed a good party last weekend :fingerwag:

That fact that your boat didn't even turn over is some concern, maybe your lanyard, might want to double check some things.

The last 2 times I've filled up I've used 93 and I think that helps for what ever reason. I will be looking into insulating the pipes though.

I'm about to sell my bags and brand new xxx board, I'm missing something with this whole surfing thing and it's pissing me off!! Added about 600lbs surfside to that picture last weekend. The pocket is right off the swim platform and that's not fun for me and we couldn't get ropeless. I think I've got plenty of weight, probably need to adjust my speed up :dontknow: But I might have a 550 and a xxx board for sale soon!!

as far as surfing that wake, it looks rideable to me, but needs some height. I dont point the board in any direction. I tend to find the gully or trough of the wake coming from the back of the boat. This requires me to choke up on the rope one handful. Once you are in the gully, ride out of it (to the outer side of the boat), then back in. It is kind of a circular motion. You speed up in the gully, then when you step out, you slow down. Jump back in the gully and repeat. Once you get that down, you can ride up the wave, then pump back down and repeat.

...waiting for someone to call me a dumbarse...

First of all, you need to get on here more, you missed a good party last weekend :fingerwag:

That fact that your boat didn't even turn over is some concern, maybe your lanyard, might want to double check some things.

The last 2 times I've filled up I've used 93 and I think that helps for what ever reason. I will be looking into insulating the pipes though.

I'm about to sell my bags and brand new xxx board, I'm missing something with this whole surfing thing and it's pissing me off!! Added about 600lbs surfside to that picture last weekend. The pocket is right off the swim platform and that's not fun for me and we couldn't get ropeless. I think I've got plenty of weight, probably need to adjust my speed up :dontknow: But I might have a 550 and a xxx board for sale soon!!

Don't give up. I was about to quit because myself or nobody else could do it.

08 23 LSV with added 750lb bag in locker. I was finally able to do it and once I got it that was it. Now its no problem but before i thought it was impossible.

2 things I believe.

1)a smaller board will make it much hard to go ropeless. I think mine is the 4'9" board which is too small I think, although I can manage it. I weigh 185lbs.

2) speed is a big factor. 9.6mph is my speed. I couldn't really do it at 10.4.

many things come into play of course, size boat, weight in boat, etc etc . But by your description try lowering the speed, test a longer board and keep at it.

If you give up, I will buy your 550 bag.

6. I've tried to wake surf twice now. Never been able to go ropeless, one time our wake was really small but the second time it was big enough. I'm sure all waves have different sweetspots but I was told that in general you want the tip of your board lined up with the corner of the boat, any truth to that? Yes, this is how I was taught and how I now teach all new comers. It gives you a point to focus on which results in less board jockeying and the quick accelerations that come with it.

7. Manual wedge down, 400 in ss rear locker, 500 on ss seat, 500 midship, 500 ss in bow. 10.4 mph. Should I be able to surf this? My XXX slasher hasn't arrived yet but I wanted to see what it looked like. You might want to put the 500lbs front weight in the back and adjust your push with speed, although I think the problem is just a lack of talent Tease2.gif. Your wave looks very ridable. You might want to try riding with more weight on your front foot. I ride 70/30 front foot and continually adjust based on the need to accelerate or slow down (front foot weight speeds you up, rear weight slows you down)

Hey...hate I missed the party....wait a minute, what party??

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier. When I had what I suspect was my vapor lock issue, the engine would turn over fine...just would not start.

Seemed to be a fuel problem and since it was so hot we decided on the vapor lock. I have been out a couple of times since and ran it pretty hard and no more issues. (and as you well know, it has been hot as hell) I am not sure if the insulation of the fuel lines and pump helped or the fact that I am more aware and have been running the blower more and opening the engine compartment when we stop for long periods....or maybe it's just waiting for me to get a bigger crowd so as to be more humiliating the next time! Nothing like being towed in by an i/o... :cry: I had the lanyard issue the first season I owned the boat. Jeremy at Malibu told me the switches were flaky, offered to replace it but told me it would probably do the same. I just wedged a dime in there between the lanyard and the button on the switch and it has never been an issue since. Ghetto I know...been meaning to jumper around the switch someday but never remember to do it.

We can surf fine ropeless with my current setup but the pocket for me is too close to the swim platform. I want a longer wake...it's tall enough for me and pushes me fine but I would like to be able to ride a little further back. This would give us more room I think,

to generate a little more speed for different tricks. I tried several boards the first year I had the boat and couldn't ride anything ropeless. My buddy , who is about 40 lbs lighter than me was able to ride ropeless first on a couple of these boards and was constantly giving me crap about how superior he was. I brought out a demo Blue Lake one day and as soon as I came up I felt the push of the wave

for the first time....I threw the rope in the boat and rode until I couldn't stand up anymore! World of difference. I bought the IS Yellow Loogey and have really been happy with it. I pulled off one 360 and rode away a couple of years ago but haven't been able to do it again. To be honest I think we surfed once last year and so far only twice this year. I need to add some more weight to the front to see if I can lengthen that wave! Oh by the way....we ride around 10.5 - 10.8. I could not get the Malibu cruise to hold this low until

I got my ecu flashed by Jeremy. Works like a champ now.

Good luck,

Tim

Hey...hate I missed the party....wait a minute, what party??

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier. When I had what I suspect was my vapor lock issue, the engine would turn over fine...just would not start.

Seemed to be a fuel problem and since it was so hot we decided on the vapor lock. I have been out a couple of times since and ran it pretty hard and no more issues. (and as you well know, it has been hot as hell) I am not sure if the insulation of the fuel lines and pump helped or the fact that I am more aware and have been running the blower more and opening the engine compartment when we stop for long periods....or maybe it's just waiting for me to get a bigger crowd so as to be more humiliating the next time! Nothing like being towed in by an i/o... :cry: I had the lanyard issue the first season I owned the boat. Jeremy at Malibu told me the switches were flaky, offered to replace it but told me it would probably do the same. I just wedged a dime in there between the lanyard and the button on the switch and it has never been an issue since. Ghetto I know...been meaning to jumper around the switch someday but never remember to do it.

We can surf fine ropeless with my current setup but the pocket for me is too close to the swim platform. I want a longer wake...it's tall enough for me and pushes me fine but I would like to be able to ride a little further back. This would give us more room I think,

to generate a little more speed for different tricks. I tried several boards the first year I had the boat and couldn't ride anything ropeless. My buddy , who is about 40 lbs lighter than me was able to ride ropeless first on a couple of these boards and was constantly giving me crap about how superior he was. I brought out a demo Blue Lake one day and as soon as I came up I felt the push of the wave

for the first time....I threw the rope in the boat and rode until I couldn't stand up anymore! World of difference. I bought the IS Yellow Loogey and have really been happy with it. I pulled off one 360 and rode away a couple of years ago but haven't been able to do it again. To be honest I think we surfed once last year and so far only twice this year. I need to add some more weight to the front to see if I can lengthen that wave! Oh by the way....we ride around 10.5 - 10.8. I could not get the Malibu cruise to hold this low until

I got my ecu flashed by Jeremy. Works like a champ now.

Good luck,

Tim

sorry, you said it wouldn't crank and I associated that with turning over.

I made some "special fittings" so that I can take my starboard side rear 400 over to the surfside. I also might mess around with moving the 550 in the bow to some where in the rear. And then adjust speed until it looks far enough back.