Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Turnover

A friends boat, Enzo 240 with 8.1 takes really long to turnover. Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

Also note there is not a notable difference in cold and warm starts. Thanks.

Is it taking a long time to fire up, I would do as Bill suggested. Take the battery out and have it tested! How old is the battery and what year is the boat?

Is it taking a long time to fire up, I would do as Bill suggested. Take the battery out and have it tested! How old is the battery and what year is the boat?

Battery is new, boat is 2008. He has had this issue since he bought the boat. Not really a functional problem just a nuisance.

Yes the main issue is it takes long to fire up.

Edited by Sidro

Battery is new, boat is 2008. He has had this issue since he bought the boat. Not really a functional problem just a nuisance.

Yes the main issue is it takes long to fire up.

It could actually be the wrong battery for the setup.

Thanks guys I'll run a few test.

If battery checks out good....I'm assuming this is a fuel injected motor? Any chance the fuel pressure is leaking down after shutting off and takes a while to build back up? You need spark/Fuel/Air for the motor to fire, something ain't where/when it should be. Spark plugs clean and gapped properly? Just some ideas.

bob

Mine kind of does the same thing, it seems like the starter doesn't turn the flywheel very fast but I don't care as long as it starts. The boat is fairly new, has he contacted the dealer about it? Could just be a bad starter!

Mine kind of does the same thing, it seems like the starter doesn't turn the flywheel very fast but I don't care as long as it starts. The boat is fairly new, has he contacted the dealer about it? Could just be a bad starter!

Yes it's fuel injected. Dealer states issue is "normal" I guess the following should be the steps in troubleshooting:

1. Check battery

2. Check Sparkplugs

3. Check Fuel Pump

4. Starter

5. Deal with the problem.

My guess is it may be a fuel delivery issue as there seems to be enough power to consistently turn the engine.

Would the size of the engine (8.1) be a factor?

Look into the fuel pressure regulator, it could be letting fuel pressure bleed off like Bob said. Best way to test is with a fuel pressure gauge at keyup, cranking, and running.

Not sure of the pressure specs on the 8.1L motor however.

-Chris

Dont think it has to do with size of engine. We have a 2003 8.1L Indmar and it pops off quickly everytime. Not sure off hand what the cranking amps of our battery is, but never had any issues.

Engine should fire right up. Like someone else said....fuel pressure regulator, sounds like it is not holding pressure for you. It should be between 37 and 45 psi.

Engine should fire right up. Like someone else said....fuel pressure regulator, sounds like it is not holding pressure for you. It should be between 37 and 45 psi.

Thank you all for the input. Checking on the cranking power of the battery first, then to the fuel pressure regulator.

A video of this start up would be really helpful, as I stated before mine also cranks over about 4-5 times before starting and it's been like that ever since new. Other boats I've been on start up much faster, but it starts :unsure: One thing to also check is the amp that is being drawn from the starter, they make these cheap amp gauges that you can hook up to the + cable from the battery to see how much you are pulling.