Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MALIBU GAUGES

IM HAVING SOME REAL PROBLEMS WITH THE GAUGES IN MY 99 SUNSETTER. LAST TRIP OUT I LOST ALL MY GAUGES ONE AT A TIME. I REPLACED THE MDC MODULE THAT RUNS THE GAUGES AND STILL NOTHING. THEY HAVE POWER GOIN TO THEM( WELL THEY STILL LIGHT UP)BUT NO READING ON ANY OF THEM. I LOST THE TACH/PERFECT PASS FIRST, PERFECT PASS STILL WORKS JUST NOT THE TACH. THEN THE SPEEDO, THEN THE 4 GAUGE CLUSTER. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO CHECK OTHER THAN JUST REPLACING THE GAUGES. ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

THANKS,

ERIC

99 SUNSETTER

HOU,TX.

Check the 'Cannon plug'. It's a large plug (1.25") coming out of the back drivers side of engine secured with a hose clamp.

I had similar symptoms. Most of the wires for the engine & displays go through the canon plug to the MDC. I've been OK with just wiggling mine a bit to bring all the gauges back, but other have opened it up & cleaned connections/tweaked the pins to make sure they're making good connections. If you disconnect the cannon plug, make sure to mark it first as it can go back together in multiple ways.

You can verify the data feeds by the plugs going into the MDC. This troubleshooting guide should have most of the values you want to look for.

The tach on PP gauge has problems itself that could be unrelated - there's a post here about the process that may work to fix it by disassembling the the gauge & cleaning some internal contacts - Can't find the post right now, but somebody will.

• 4 years later...

I have a 96 malibu Sunsetter. The gauges are all hazed over and yellow. I've tried the headlight refinishing kits and all I can say is that apparently I need a gauge refinishing kit because it just didn't work.

The yellowing I'm sure is on the inside.

I ordered teleflex gauges as they are a direct match. The instrument cluster looks sealed from the back as I look up behind the wheel. On the face of the cluster are a series of small Allen head screws.

Before I trid I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if replacing the gauges is just as simple as removing the screws and having the whol cluster come out. M

It can't be that easy can it?????

I have a 96 malibu Sunsetter. The gauges are all hazed over and yellow. I've tried the headlight refinishing kits and all I can say is that apparently I need a gauge refinishing kit because it just didn't work.

The yellowing I'm sure is on the inside.

I ordered teleflex gauges as they are a direct match. The instrument cluster looks sealed from the back as I look up behind the wheel. On the face of the cluster are a series of small Allen head screws.

Before I trid I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if replacing the gauges is just as simple as removing the screws and having the whol cluster come out. M

It can't be that easy can it?????

Don't know on that boat specifically, but most of them have a few screws around the perimeter of the guage panel including the 2 that look like they hold on the Malibu emblem. On an 04 it is 4? screws and the whole panel pulls out.