Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gas cap chain broken..

Hi ya'll

Still new here so I thought I would throw this out to see if anyone has had this problem and has an idea of how to fix...

Boat: 2004 23LSV w/340 Monsoon

problem: the little 'bead-link' chain that holds one of the non-locking key-less gas caps broke...on land not a problem...but on the water...I just have to be very careful not to drop in the water when re-fueling behind the houseboat (Mr. Murphy seems to go on our trips)......

Any Ideas??

No Ideas my mine broke on my 06 shortly after I bought it. Was at a dock refueling and a wave rocked it into the dock and it broke off. I ended up removing the chain from the other side and actually place the caps in the boat when refueling. Personally I feel its safer with out the chain.

mine broke also but was covered under warranty

new one is about to break from twisting the cap on

I have to rotate the cap 2 times left then screw the cap on right

no twist

This is one of those problems that belongs in the stupid category along with the stereo in the armrest. "Yea, lets make the chain just long enough that the cap won't reach the top deck & will constantly ding up the fiberglass below it. People will always be breaking the chain & we'll sell millions of new caps!" :crazy:

Sorry I can't help you now. But for the rest of us who haven't already broken that stupid chain, I figured out two things.... how to lengthen the chain a few inches for only a few bucks :yahoo:

And a cheapie replacement gas cap for the glovebox..... just in case! :rockon:

The chain is available at Ace Hardware. Cost like $2.

CIMG1967.jpg

And a great temp replacement gas cap is a 2" black PVC sewer plug. Cost like $2 & perfect to throw it in the glovebox in case Murphy takes care of the real gas cap..... on your summer vacation in Timbuktu!

6437545.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My chain is broken in the fill hose so you cannot just add a length of chain. Would also like to see a post on how to replace the chain.

Someone has to of done this and give us step by step instruction.

Thanks

Both of mine were broken off. But replaced under warranty, my replacement was a plastic coated wire and it's long enough to sit up on the sunpad like Bill's picture. Looks like it will hold up alot better. I never tried it but you might be able to fish for the broken chain down in the filler neck, it shouldn't be too far in there. Try a really thin hanger and bend a small hook on the end.

Edited by Ndawg12

Mine broke just a few weeks ago. I was re-fueling at a friend's dock, barely bumped the cap and snap! into the water it went. I checked the depth gauge and it indicated 10' of water, so down I went! I found it on the fourth dive, so the day wasn't a total loss. I'm definitely going to get one of those pvc plugs to keep in the boat.

My broken chain is in the fill hose as well, so I'd also like to see a post on how to remove and replace it.

The chain was broken on my gas cap when I purchased my Bu in April. The seller had already lost a couple gas caps in the lake and didn't know how to fix it. I bought a replacement wire/safety cable from West Marine. I would recommend trying to find a chain if possible as the wire coils up as you wind the gas cap back on.

To replace: You need to loosen the steel bands that hold the rubber gas filler tube to the gas cap assembly. This is done on the inside of the boat. There isn't much room on my 01' Sunsetter so it's definitely a tight area to work in. Once you loosen the steel bands on the filler tube, you can unscrew the screws into the fiberglass that hold the filler cap assembly into the side of the boat. This is done from the outside of the boat to seperate the two pieces. Gently turn the metal filler cap assembly back and forth as you pull it out and it will seperate from the filler tube. Once you have the filler assembly in hand, you can attach the new wire cable or chain from the inside of the filler assembly and reinstall.

The chain was broken on my gas cap when I purchased my Bu in April. The seller had already lost a couple gas caps in the lake and didn't know how to fix it. I bought a replacement wire/safety cable from West Marine. I would recommend trying to find a chain if possible as the wire coils up as you wind the gas cap back on.

To replace: You need to loosen the steel bands that hold the rubber gas filler tube to the gas cap assembly. This is done on the inside of the boat. There isn't much room on my 01' Sunsetter so it's definitely a tight area to work in. Once you loosen the steel bands on the filler tube, you can unscrew the screws into the fiberglass that hold the filler cap assembly into the side of the boat. This is done from the outside of the boat to seperate the two pieces. Gently turn the metal filler cap assembly back and forth as you pull it out and it will seperate from the filler tube. Once you have the filler assembly in hand, you can attach the new wire cable or chain from the inside of the filler assembly and reinstall.

Mine doesn't, the connector on the wire can spin on the screw that connects it to the cap.

Scroll up to bill's post and picture, he just lengthened the chain.

I can't view the picture posted here because my school where I work blocks the images. Strange I can view the images only if they were attached.. Oh well..

I tried that on my boat, but finally gave up as I could loosen the hose from the metal assembly as it was quite adherent. I got a replacement cap and then have just been careful with it since then.

I do keep a PVC plug in the boat as an emergency backup.

Mine broke this weekend while filling up the boat just before WOW. Dam near rolled onto a busy street and I couldn't let go of the pump handle to retrieve it.

Mine broke this weekend while filling up the boat just before WOW. Dam near rolled onto a busy street and I couldn't let go of the pump handle to retrieve it.

At least it didn't happen on the water.

This is one of those problems that belongs in the stupid category along with the stereo in the armrest. "Yea, lets make the chain just long enough that the cap won't reach the top deck & will constantly ding up the fiberglass below it. People will always be breaking the chain & we'll sell millions of new caps!" :crazy:

Sorry I can't help you now. But for the rest of us who haven't already broken that stupid chain, I figured out two things.... how to lengthen the chain a few inches for only a few bucks :yahoo:

CIMG1967.jpg

And a great temp replacement gas cap is a 2" black PVC sewer plug. Cost like $2 & perfect to throw it in the glovebox in case Murphy takes care of the real gas cap..... on your summer vacation in Timbuktu!

6437545.jpg

DSC03019.jpgGood idea Bill, I did that a couple years ago. I think I beat you to it.

CIMG1967.jpg

6437545.jpg

I love it when I learn something new. Great idea :rockon:

Bought this at my local hardware store yesterday. It was in the lamp parts section of electrical.

I also bought the 2" sewer plug to keep on the boat as a back up for my back up.

Heck, I carry 2 brand new spare impellers on the boat in case 2 malibu crew members need them. :innocent:

Don't even ask about the spare cooling hoses I'm stocking on my boat as a back up now.