Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion Tower on A 2001 VLX WAKESETTER???

Aquadisiac

I have a 2001 VLX Wakesetter and want to know if an Illusion tower can be fitted to it. I'm pretty sure the width is OK but not sure if the structure of the boat is able to support one. Or maybe add some more fiberglass underneath to give more stability? :unsure:

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris :rockon:

I have a 2001 VLX Wakesetter and want to know if an Illusion tower can be fitted to it. I'm pretty sure the width is OK but not sure if the structure of the boat is able to support one. Or maybe add some more fiberglass underneath to give more stability? :unsure:

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris :rockon:

Chris,

Yes it's possible. I spoke to a fellow crew member a while back about this, as one of his buddies did this with a 99 VLX like mine. I have a picture in my email somewhere.

I think the problem would be to find an Illusion tower now that the company went out of business.

I'll post the pic in a minute after I find it.

Jeff

Picture #3

post-22-127732235212_thumb.jpg

Thanks a bunch Jeff.

Do you have any idea if they need to build up the glass for support or if it's already strong enough?

Thanks again for posting the pics so fast.

Chris

It's possible, we've installed them here before on a lot of older VLX boats

Finding the tower is going to be your hard part since its not made or in stock any longer.

-Paul

Thanks a bunch Jeff.

Do you have any idea if they need to build up the glass for support or if it's already strong enough?

Thanks again for posting the pics so fast.

Chris

I'm sure a 99 VLX or newer is strong enough, with the proper backing plate, etc. They were already making the gunnels stronger from 99 on, to accommodate towers.

Thanks Jeff and Paul, that's what I was hoping for. Now all I have to do is pray to the TOWER GODs :innocent: and hope one falls in my lap. :thumbup:

Be careful which size tower you get. You couldn't take the tower off of Forrest's VLX as it would be too wide.

Correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but I believe you need the Illusion that was made for the 1st generation VTX boats. They were the same width as yours.

Be careful which size tower you get. You couldn't take the tower off of Forrest's VLX as it would be too wide.

Correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but I believe you need the Illusion that was made for the 1st generation VTX boats. They were the same width as yours.

It's my understanding those towers are about 79" wide, Pual you may know better.

Aquadisiac,

Have you thought about putting a G3 tower on your boat? I'm not sure if it fits but you'd be getting a brand new tower. With Metcraft being out of business and the Illusion is no longer in stock I'm concerned about replacement parts should you need something.

Just food for thought.

Aquadisiac,

Have you thought about putting a G3 tower on your boat? I'm not sure if it fits but you'd be getting a brand new tower. With Metcraft being out of business and the Illusion is no longer in stock I'm concerned about replacement parts should you need something.

Just food for thought.

I like the G3 but there seems to be about as many of them just sittin around collecting dust as the Illusion. If you know one that is available I may be interested.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

You may want to look around for a boat that has an Illusion tower that is broken and not really fixable. I know it seems a little far fetched but if you find a boat in bad condition and not working, you may be able to convince the owner to sell you the tower or any other parts you may want or need. I am not saying it is going to be easy to find this or even convince the owner but it may be worth keeping an eye out for. There are always plenty of knuckleheads ruining their boats doing stupid things. You get a tower, even if it is banged up, off of one of these boats and have it powder coated, buffed, painted or whatever and installed on your boat.

Edited by wakeboy

You may want to look around for a boat that has an Illusion tower that is broken and not really fixable. I know it seems a little far fetched but if you find a boat in bad condition and not working, you may be able to convince the owner to sell you the tower or any other parts you may want or need. I am not saying it is going to be easy to find this or even convince the owner but it may be worth keeping an eye out for. There are always plenty of knuckleheads ruining their boats doing stupid things. You get a tower, even if it is banged up, off of one of these boats and have it powder coated, buffed, painted or whatever and installed on your boat.

I have come across a few for the newer boats (wider) and was too late one that would have fit. It's a matter of time.

Thanks

Ok well it looks like you are on top of things. I am sure something will turn up soon. Just keep checking around. Maybe post an ad on Craigslist of something saying that you are looking for the Illusion tower with your specific width.

Ok well it looks like you are on top of things. I am sure something will turn up soon. Just keep checking around. Maybe post an ad on Craigslist of something saying that you are looking for the Illusion tower with your specific width.

Craigslist, ebay, or maybe one of the scenarios you mentioned.

Well at first glance it looks like a knock off of the new Malibu G3 tower. However, it does look kind of cool especially considering that it is a universal tower. It isn't a bad price either and will be more unique on the water. I wonder how much it would cost to get it painted. Definetly a nice alternative. However, I still think I like the Illusion X better.

• 2 weeks later...

K.. so I found a tower and now I need to find a mounting spot...

Hopefully someone with a vride can get some dimensions for ya.That boat is going to look sick with that tower :rockon: