Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is the best wax

My boat hangs in a boat house and the sun hits the starboard side and back.

The black paint is fading, I have waxed it with Mcguires, and it looked pretty good for a couple weeks but then the fading came right back. What is the best cleaner and wax to put on, that will protect it better. A boat detailer told me about a good 3M product that he uses but he wants to charge $225 for a complete detail job. Heck that may be a good price!

I use Babe's boat spray wax everytime I put it up but that doesn't detour the fading at all.

Just FYI Spray wax is not close to what real wax can do and is probably why you have fading. I dont know the extent of the sun damage but dont ever use an abrasive wax on the boat, your just scratching the gel coat. I use zymol wax regularly but im betting your going to need a bigger gun for the fading.

Try the Boat Bling products. They had a member discount not to long ago. I have used the spray on wax, vinyl cleaner, and their Hot Sauce products. I am very impressed. The know they have a cleaner and wax, and after seeing how the products I have used performed, I would not hesitate to try it.

Boat Bling Link

martinarcher

Collinite's makes the best wax products for cars and boats that I have tried. Long lasting, great protection, and easy to apply/remove. My boat is 22 years old and the previous owner used Collinites from day 1 and I continue. The boat has no oxidation or fading.

http://www.collinitemarine.com/products.htm#885

I'm a big fan of Zaino products. I have been using it on the boat since day one and it looks better than when I took delivery.

Pride and Joy!

Products used:

AIO (All In One)

Z5 Polish

Z6 Quick Detailer

-Whoa

Edited by WhoaNellie

I use Babe's Boatbrite after each use, have lots of black on the side of the boat and I have only have to actually "wax" the boat twice in 4 years. I haven't used the Hotsause products but heard good things about it.

I'm a big fan of Zaino products. I have been using it on the boat since day one and it looks better than when I took delivery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malibuboats/4595585703/

Products used:

AIO (All In One)

Z5 Polish

Z6 Quick Detailer

-Whoa

:plus1:

Read the detailing forums and you will find Zaino and Klasse products mentioned over and over again!

Edited by MexTex

The best wax is the wax that gets applied most often. It doesn't help if the expensive wax sits in the bottle between semi-annual waxings.

For boats what has worked for me is to wax frequently. I have used the Zaino, Mequiars, and NuFinish products. On fibreglass they all seem the same.

I now just use the Turtlewax "ICE" liquid product. It has zero rubbing compound or restorative qualities to it. But because it takes so little time or effort I can keep my boat looking showroom new because I can use ICE every time I go out. In practice I probably apply ICE about 7 times a year for 21 boating days. Takes me 15 minutes each time. Nineteen year old boat still gets the "WOW" , THAT'S A LOW RIDER SHINE " comment almost every time.

If you are faded you are going to have to go the cleaner / rubbing compound route to get your boat up to new shine. We're talking serious elbow grease, here.

Another option would be to wax your boat every time you go out this year with a one step car wax like a Meguiars that has a little abrasive cleaner in it. By the end of the season you will have reduced the fading after ten or more waxings. The side benefit is that your boat will look newer each time you go out.

The best way to keep these boats new is to keep them up from the first day.

Collinite's makes the best wax products for cars and boats that I have tried. Long lasting, great protection, and easy to apply/remove. My boat is 22 years old and the previous owner used Collinites from day 1 and I continue. The boat has no oxidation or fading.

http://www.collinitemarine.com/products.htm#885

X2 for collinite, very easy to apply and remove. My bu is 17 years old and gets complements where ever I go.