Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Bilge Pump

The bilge pump on my 2000 Sunsetter Lxi, keeps blowing the fuse when I flip the switch. The boat is dry so the bilge pump isn't sitting in water but I figured if I flip the switch to turn it on, it should still run regardless. So I'm assuming that the pump needs to be replaced. I've never replaced or even seen the bilge pump on the boat, so if someone can point me in the right direction on how to replace it or locate it, I will be your friend for life... Unless your a douche then I wont care if you help me or not, we aren't friends LOL

In the bilge, in front of your engine, there is a plastic panel. It's held in by 4 screws. Remove the panel and you will see your pump. Near the ski pylon.

Should be two wires to the pump. Very easy. Use good technique connecting the wires to the new pump...use a good watertight connector. The wires, and the connections, could get wet.

The bilge pump on my 2000 Sunsetter Lxi, keeps blowing the fuse when I flip the switch. The boat is dry so the bilge pump isn't sitting in water but I figured if I flip the switch to turn it on, it should still run regardless. So I'm assuming that the pump needs to be replaced. I've never replaced or even seen the bilge pump on the boat, so if someone can point me in the right direction on how to replace it or locate it, I will be your friend for life... Unless your a douche then I wont care if you help me or not, we aren't friends LOL

The bilge pump on my boat did the same thing as you describe. It is located in the front of the pylon behind a panel. The impellar was frozen, and that was why the fuse kept blowing. I went to a Walmart and bought the identical pump. I installed it and everything works fine. After trying to take the old one apart, the impellar broke into several pieces. The pump ran after the impellar was removed. It seems that the impellar was frozen solid to the pump housing. Hope this helps you? Steve

If you have to remove the old one the red (or blue) basket/strainer is probably held in place by a glob of silicone and a screw. I added a second one to my VLX and just used a glob of silicone to hold it down.

Sweet, I got it off and it is locked down tight. It's a Sahara 750, is that a pretty common pump? If a new pump is crazy expensive I'll just buy a bucket and have my girlfriend bail the water out every now and then!!!

When mine went last year, I also just replaced it. I put in a Rule or something, dropped about $40.

Mine is infront of the engine, behind the pylon, next to the drain plug. It was out in the open, no panel or anything. I pulled it out, epoxied the new base down and used waterproof connectors to put it back in place. Since I've started not using the auto bilge feature on nicer pumps, they seem to last longer as well. Takes less than 2 beers to finish project.

Have fun!

• 13 years later...