Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wedge

malinator

just baught 2005 23 lsv, pretty clean with 35 hours on it. most of the standard options with a 1996 trailer. from a dealer 40k. seemed to be a fair price after shopping around, what do you think?

Any way I will only use it for tubing right now till kids are a little older. Question, the dealer told me the wedge pivots or swings loose, there are bolts in bottom holes so it does not lock in the down position. Is this correct? And does the wedge create a drag on the boat in the up position? Would it be benificial to just remove it until I have the need for it?

Probably won't get her in the lake for a week or 2 as I am going through it and getting cleaned up to my standards ( dealer did'nt do much but take my moeny) And what does everyone use for oil? penzoil marine is not on the shelf around here.

Any comments for someone new to Malibu? This is a great sight and have already learned alot from it. Thanks

That price is ok in my opinion. Why does it only have 35 hours? Lack of use can be just as detrimental as overuse or failure to properly maintain.

Sounds like you have a floating wedge. When locked in the up position it should not have any effect on the performance of the boat. When engaged the angle of the wedge will self adjust depending on your speed in order to give you a larger wake.

I wouldn't tell too many people on here that your primary use is for tubing :whistle::biggrin:

I have been told the pennzoil long life 15-40 is similar to the marine formulation. I use it. I'd recommend changing all fluids and filters before running and running marine stabil with each tank of gas for a few fillups. Could help with ethanol issues.

As to wedge, if interested in selling it, PM me.

Oh, and Congrats!

Sounds more like someone modified a manual fixed wedge into a floating wedge. Something that ppl have tried here and didn't find benefitial. The floating wedge didn't come out until 2007 so although it's possible I doubt that it is in fact a floating wedge. I'd take those bolts out. The wedge has no drag in the up position so leave it on despite whether you will use it or not. Also learn to wakeboard and teach the wife to drive before everyone here gets to you about tubing :Tease3: . Oh ya and two weeks is too long. Get it in the water NOW and post up some pics!!!!Clap.gif

Congrats on the new ride.

Edited by TrickyNicky

oooh, was only kidding about the tubing. It may be a while before my 2 boys 4&5 yrs. are ready for a board. I still have nightmares about my wife driving our last boat. I end up behind the wheel, not behind the boat. She needs alot of practice still but I would like to try it, or surfing.

The last owners obviously did not get much use out of this boat. From western Maryland 3-4 month season. But they did trade in a boat for this one and now let this one go for a new one.

It appears to have just sat around. The dealer said they stored it for the last 18 months and ran once in a while. I cant be sure of anything so I do want to change oil's and impellar get a coat of wax on it. Anything else I should do or be concerned about before it goes in the water?

I will leave the wedge on and expeirement with it if there is no benifit of taking it off. They might have added these bolts to make it float so it does no lock in the down position. I hope to launch next week, I'm out of town this weekend, with 2 small boy's it's hard finding time gettin anything done! Thanks again!

oooh, was only kidding about the tubing. It may be a while before my 2 boys 4&5 yrs. are ready for a board. I still have nightmares about my wife driving our last boat. I end up behind the wheel, not behind the boat. She needs alot of practice still but I would like to try it, or surfing.

I'm in the same boat as you. No pun intended. My wife has almost zero experience driving a boat and has never pulled anyone. The last few outings, I made her drive though. Told her she had to start it up, pull it off the lift and then when we get back she'd have to drive it back on the lift. She did fine until we got back. Took her about 4 tries to get it on the lift, but she eventually got it. The last time we went out, she got it on the lift first try. I've also been making her drive when there are a lot of other boaters out so she can learn good defensive driving skills and how to operate the boat in rough water conditions...i.e. no rollers over the bow type stuff.

Next step is to get her pulling riders. I think I'll let her experiment on one of our kids before I let her pull me footin. We have four of them and only one of me. :lol:

just baught 2005 23 lsv, pretty clean with 35 hours on it. most of the standard options with a 1996 trailer. from a dealer 40k. seemed to be a fair price after shopping around, what do you think?

Any way I will only use it for tubing right now till kids are a little older. Question, the dealer told me the wedge pivots or swings loose, there are bolts in bottom holes so it does not lock in the down position. Is this correct? And does the wedge create a drag on the boat in the up position? Would it be benificial to just remove it until I have the need for it?

Probably won't get her in the lake for a week or 2 as I am going through it and getting cleaned up to my standards ( dealer did'nt do much but take my moeny) And what does everyone use for oil? penzoil marine is not on the shelf around here.

Any comments for someone new to Malibu? This is a great sight and have already learned alot from it. Thanks

I don't understand this statement....if they kids are old enough to tube, why can they not ski/board??? Doesn't make sense to me. The earlier you expose them to watersports they more they will be open to learning. If you let them tube exclusively, it will be much harder to convince them to try a "skill" sport....trust me...I've seen it over and over again. I'm not saying force them into skiing/ boarding, but at least expose them to it......

Ya know we got my 6yr old up on the surf board (with me) last year. This year all he can talk about is surfing by himself. The wakeboard is next. I kind of agree with the previous post. Look it up, there are some dang good kid wakeboarders/skiiers/wakeskaters etc etc and they didn't get that way over night.

Don't worry about the other people saying to get your kids up now and not let them tube. Kids are kids and when they want to ski or board they will do just that. I agree you should expose them to it, but I have seen 6 year olds want to ski and get up right away and I have seen 9 year olds still scared and not ski for another 2 years. As long as they are having fun, thats all that matters.

Don't worry about the other people saying to get your kids up now and not let them tube. Kids are kids and when they want to ski or board they will do just that. I agree you should expose them to it, but I have seen 6 year olds want to ski and get up right away and I have seen 9 year olds still scared and not ski for another 2 years. As long as they are having fun, thats all that matters.

I can agree with that. Out of my 4 kids, only one of them has any interest in skiing. The 11 and 13 year old NEVER want to ski/tube/wakeboard or anything. I don't get it. I think they might be intimidated by me..but not sure why.

there was a thread on here a few weeks back about the EZ-Ski trainer. it looked kind of rediculous, but i bought one anyway, and now my 3yr old daughter wants to go out on the boat as much as i do. she absolutely LOVES it, and i am enjoying watching her get used to being behind the boat by herself....now if i can just figure out how to get her on the surfboard with me, i will be VERY happy!

Thats a great idea. Ya I think tubing works the same way, kids get comfortable behind the boat by themselves. The only problem is tubing is so easy to do since there is no "getting up" that the frustration of learning to get up on skis doesn't seem as enticing. So tubing probably builds confidence being alon behind the boat but also encourages complacency.

Edited by wakeboy