Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This goes from cool boat ... to not cool

PrimeData

I would try calling the Sacramento area Malibu dealers. One of them more than likely sold it new and knows the story behind it. Also you may try calling Boat Country in Escalon, CA. It is on a DHM trailer and I know that Boat County used to put all their boats on DHMs.

Cope and McPhetres sold the boat new but I can't track down anyone with any information about how to get a hold of anyone who used to work there. The boat was apparently sold at the Sacramento location. If anyone has any information, please reply. Thanks!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 85 Barefoot

• kb3

• D-GOOSE

• 99response

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have any pics of it when it was in one piece?

Also post up on wakeboarder a thread asking if any one has seen this boat.

Can't wait for the hole story to get out. :whistle:

Perhaps someone should call them they are in Rancho Cordova in Sacramento @ 916 331 7090 :whistle:

Lets get the dirt!

Its been done but the story is still going on and hoping for a happy bu ending.

I was interested so I stopped by to check it out. It's definitely missing a lot of things. According to the sales guy, it was repo'd by the bank. The angry owner, in cahootz with a "dealer" stripped it completely before they took possession. There was a lot of missing data... originally the sales guy was going to buy parts back, but there are all kinds of legal issues around it. He said stay clear of the original owner and he won't supply name. That's from my conversation, don't know what else has been said.

Question... why would there be large holes cut in the compartment near the swim deck (for sunglasses, etc)? looks like someone took a hole saw to it. Didn't see any extra ballast or anything. Is there normally a liner or something?

Some times people put the shower in that little area as well.

Can any one guess what went in these holes to the rear center compartment?

That is for the switch for the shower power on and off and the bottom is the drain hole...Some people put sunglasses before they board... :biggrin:

Shower is usually under one of the rear compartments in the with the cold and hot vavles close to it. There is no way the shower head/handle would fit in the middle compartment...FWIW

You'd be surprised what a boat with a "clean" title can have done to it, the rules and regulations for watercraft titles are all over the place from state to state. Also the ebay ad says clean CA title on it.

I know because I almost bought a boat that was totaled by an insurance company (boat sank) and sold to a dealer with a clean title. I had to dig to find the history, but another buyer may have not seen it.

-Chris

Here is how the titles work if it is a bank reposession there will be a clear title and you will get a clear title in your name. A Salvage title will not be attached.

If the insurance company paid the boat off because it was stolen it will have a SALVAGE title that is the law when a insurance company pays off.

Well what's "little stuff"? st wheel? chrome accents? LED's? platform? I am computing all non-engine related stuff at around 5k. 3k just for interior frame work and cushions, which is probably high. I don't think accents and little trinkets cost 2k.

just a friendly word of advice RUN. I have rebuilt many totals and I can tell you add anoher 3 to 5 grand for the things that you do not know are missing or damaged.

There are to many stories with this boat I seen a post that the dealer helped the owner strip this boat. If this is true there is so much legal liability for thet dealer they would be put out of business.

I have seen late last year many parts being sold for that boat because I bought the steering wheele. It just looked like someone stripped a boat and was trying to sell the parts off.

Good luck to you if you get the boat.

just a friendly word of advice RUN. I have rebuilt many totals and I can tell you add anoher 3 to 5 grand for the things that you do not know are missing or damaged.

There are to many stories with this boat I seen a post that the dealer helped the owner strip this boat. If this is true there is so much legal liability for thet dealer they would be put out of business.

I have seen late last year many parts being sold for that boat because I bought the steering wheele. It just looked like someone stripped a boat and was trying to sell the parts off.

Good luck to you if you get the boat.

The selling dealer is out of business (Cope's).

Even if you add another 3-5k was still a smoking deal. But thanks for trying to make me feel better :biggrin:

Shoot. Barefoot, I was hoping you or someone else from the crew bought it. I was close... had him agree to 18K but didn't pull trigger. Not the right time for me. Think it would have been a good deal in the end, but I was actually more interested in it because it was a rebuild. I wanted to customize it. Had a sweet motor lined up and everything.

I'll bet we'll see plenty of repos over the next few years.

Here is how the titles work if it is a bank reposession there will be a clear title and you will get a clear title in your name. A Salvage title will not be attached.

If the insurance company paid the boat off because it was stolen it will have a SALVAGE title that is the law when a insurance company pays off.

The laws vary from state to state on watercraft salvage titles - some states don't even have titles for boats.

Also can't forget about boats that sink right on the trailer when some owner neglects to take the plugs out and leaves the boat for a few weeks.

-Chris

Now its time to put a diesel in it. That guy got a pretty good deal on the boat i think. If that boat sells for $55,000+/-. and they put $20K in it they are doing well.

Shoot. Barefoot, I was hoping you or someone else from the crew bought it. I was close... had him agree to 18K but didn't pull trigger. Not the right time for me. Think it would have been a good deal in the end, but I was actually more interested in it because it was a rebuild. I wanted to customize it. Had a sweet motor lined up and everything.

I'll bet we'll see plenty of repos over the next few years.

HAHAHA that's funny right there. That's what he quoted me too, I MADE THAT OFFER, and he rejected it, and he wouldn't respond to any follow ups and wouldn't provide any explanation. He even refused to even provide the contact info for the guy with interior. Thanks for all your help Goose!

Sounds like a sales guy alright. You never know what was going on. I sure liked the look of that boat though. Hopefully it went to a good home and there wasn't any more foul play.

I had him at 18K and only needed to drop off the check. He dragged his feet a little to much and never called back. Who know's maybe the winner will not pay. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats in order??? and/or best of luck wishes. Waiting patiently for the build process to be documented on here!

I hope Congrats! I will document it all. I may need a shoulder to cry on. haha. I'll also document the road trip to pick it up with an 8.1 in the pickup bed in front of a 247! Honk if you see us!

Build process will begin in about 3 weeks. :yahoo: ....barring any unforseen circumstances :lol:

I hope Congrats! I will document it all. I may need a shoulder to cry on. haha. I'll also document the road trip to pick it up with an 8.1 in the pickup bed in front of a 247! Honk if you see us!

Build process will begin in about 3 weeks. Yahoo.gif ....barring any unforseen circumstances LOL.gif

I'm curious, are you doing it for yourself or as a flip?

Because if you have a response, barefoot edition AND a 247, well I want your job!!!

EDITED: to make Malibudude happy Crazy.gif

Edited by TrickyNicky

I'm curious, are you doing it for yourself or as a flip?

Because if you have a respinse, barefoot edition AND a 247, well I want your job!!!

We'll see. If we like it (never been in a 247), the response will be going, the barefoot isn't a barefoot edition response, it's a barefoot nautique and it's only worth like 5k, I have it for sentimental reasons.

I don't want to speak too soon, but things are falling together nicely so far.