Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This goes from cool boat ... to not cool

PrimeData

I think you are dreaming if you think you can get the motor, trans, v-drive with all the required components for anywhere near $15K. I would bet you would be in it much closer to $25K by the time you got all the necessary parts, maybe even more.

I would think the complete drive drain would run you around $12-15k. Those 8.1's are not cheap.

-Chris

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 85 Barefoot

• kb3

• D-GOOSE

• 99response

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you are dreaming if you think you can get the motor, trans, v-drive with all the required components for anywhere near $15K. I would bet you would be in it much closer to $25K by the time you got all the necessary parts, maybe even more.

I already have quotes.

jkendallmsce

I already have quotes.

so how much and for what??

engine, trans, ECM, steering wheel, cushions, wheels/tires/spare, transom lights, stereo, batteries?? even the Malibu emblem above the steering wheel and the glove box lid. they took the emblem and glove box lid, but left the prop and the power wedge!!

their asking price is 10k too much.

Ya the problem is that 35k is good for you to have a 247 but I don't think anyone is going to pay you more than 35k for a boat that has been stolen, stripped, and then rebuilt. If you had a mechanic put in a new engine and get it running, then you ordered all the parts yourself for the boat. Like seats, sunpad, glovebox door etc....then you personally put that stuff together (saving you labor costs) I could see it being a fun project and saving you a good chunk of money on a 247. You may even be able to redue any wiring yourself and stuff like that.

I just know that personally I wouldn't spend 35k or close to it on a boat that had one owner, was stolen and stripped, then had a second owner who rebuilt it. I know you are not trying to scam anyone but can you see how that might appear to be a scam to someone? Like if you used cheap parts or something when rebuilding it.

I am not trying to be a downer either. The idea does sound like a lot of fun. I am just trying to explain what I think a potential buyer might see before you were to commit time and money to a project like this. If the repairs were non-mechanical I think it would be a different story.

Why not? If boat is in fine condition and you have a new engine, I would actually be willing to pay a PREMIUM for that. It's not like it was ignored and blew an engine....but thanks for the warning, too! Really nothing that mechanical to replace Engine, tranny, and vdrive, it will come as one unit.

engine, trans, ECM, steering wheel, cushions, wheels/tires/spare, transom lights, stereo, batteries?? even the Malibu emblem above the steering wheel and the glove box lid. they took the emblem and glove box lid, but left the prop and the power wedge!!

So by definition you're saying that all non-mechanical parts would cost 10k to replace. I think you're mistaken, although you're right, I don't have an accounting of everything, but interior trime is not THAT expensive.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

If someone is interested in it, they can just try to use the "Best Offer" method and give them a low ball price. Offer like 5 grand and see if they take it. I can't imagine someone would pay 23k for a boat that needs that much work, but for 5 to 10 k then drop in an engine and the necessary parts and you could have yourself a nice boat that didn't cost you too much if you like projects like this.

Don't insult the seller with a $5k price. Clearly he's not going to knock off $15k. Use your common sense!

I am curious too as what price quotes he has come up with. I would think the little stuff would nickel and dime this project right out of the water.

I am curious too as what price quotes he has come up with. I would think the little stuff would nickel and dime this project right out of the water.

Well what's "little stuff"? st wheel? chrome accents? LED's? platform? I am computing all non-engine related stuff at around 5k. 3k just for interior frame work and cushions, which is probably high. I don't think accents and little trinkets cost 2k.

Well what's "little stuff"? st wheel? chrome accents? LED's? platform? I am computing all non-engine related stuff at around 5k. 3k just for interior frame work and cushions, which is probably high. I don't think accents and little trinkets cost 2k.

The "little stuff" is the stuff you don't think about or know about until you get into the middle of one of these projects. Without seeing the boat in person and comparing it to a complete 247, there is no way of knowing what is missing. I would hope your engine quote is for the Hammerhead or even better yet the 8.1, because these boats didn't come with the Monsoon. I am not saying you may not get a good deal by the time you are done, but I do not believe that you will come in at much less than $50K for the total project when all is said and done. I hope you prove me wrong :crazy:

I think this boat is worth about $14k-$15k, no more. Resell value on it will not be good since it will have a salvage title (I think). This would purely be a deal for someone looking for a build project. Anyone trying to save a dime, get one with a clean title, already together, and running.

The "little stuff" is the stuff you don't think about or know about until you get into the middle of one of these projects. Without seeing the boat in person and comparing it to a complete 247, there is no way of knowing what is missing. I would hope your engine quote is for the Hammerhead or even better yet the 8.1, because these boats didn't come with the Monsoon. I am not saying you may not get a good deal by the time you are done, but I do not believe that you will come in at much less than $50K for the total project when all is said and done. I hope you prove me wrong :crazy:

I agree! You would be hard pressed to finish it out for less than 50K.What was the quote for the engine and tranny "COMPLETE" with exaust manifolds? How about the stero? In addition to the head unit and wireing I put 5K in mine! Board Racks nice ones 900.00! Canvas? The list goes on.....

You'd be surprised what a boat with a "clean" title can have done to it, the rules and regulations for watercraft titles are all over the place from state to state. Also the ebay ad says clean CA title on it.

I know because I almost bought a boat that was totaled by an insurance company (boat sank) and sold to a dealer with a clean title. I had to dig to find the history, but another buyer may have not seen it.

-Chris

And they did a fairly clean job at removing it, hose clamps loosened and moved down the hose, plugs unplugged, not cut, no oil all over the place. Looks suspicious?

Yeah, it's like there were plans for the rest of it but somehow didn't end up according to plan.

I agree with Ken, unless you can get parts at cost or close to it the retail pricing would just add up. If someone could make a deal with Malibu direct then it is doable but still have to count in the labor. In the end is it worth it!

50k? Assuming hull is bought for 20, you think there is thirty thousand dollars to be invested? A boat is simply a hull, an engine, and a bunch of component parts. Those component parts don't come close to adding up to what your figures are, even if every stinkin part needed replacing. Look at the price of a new response with every option. There's nothing more complicated (or expensive) about a 247 (in terms of the common component parts).

In all honesty though, I am quoting (by choice) a monsoon. I want nothing to do with a Hammerhead, I have way too many friends with problems, and I don't want the 8.1. A 247 weighs just 100 pounds over 23 lsv. A propped down 247 with a monsoon would be fine (for the majority of people, including me).

50k? Assuming hull is bought for 20, you think there is thirty thousand dollars to be invested? A boat is simply a hull, an engine, and a bunch of component parts. Those component parts don't come close to adding up to what your figures are, even if every stinkin part needed replacing. Look at the price of a new response with every option. There's nothing more complicated (or expensive) about a 247 (in terms of the common component parts).

In all honesty though, I am quoting (by choice) a monsoon. I want nothing to do with a Hammerhead, I have way too many friends with problems, and I don't want the 8.1. A 247 weighs just 100 pounds over 23 lsv. A propped down 247 with a monsoon would be fine (for the majority of people, including me).

There is one of the catches....the Monsoon is several thousand less than the Hammerhead and many thousand less than the 8.1. I think you are doing it an injustice for resale value if you put the Monsoon in. It will be like a six cylinder classic Mustang....a Mustang yes...but not a highly sought after car. If you are planning on keeping it for the long run and resale is not of interest for you...then good for you! My Hammerhead, with the exception of burning oil, is a great motor and even with it I had to prop down to make the think go. I do believe the Monsoon is going to have a hard time pulling that boat. And don't believe what Malibu says, there is no way in the world the 247 is only 100 lbs heavier than the 23 LSV.....put the two side by side, nearly 18 inches longer, nearly 1 foot taller with all the other parts, plus the 89 gallon fuel tank, it all adds up to quite a bit more weight.

Best of luck to you if you go forward. If you do take the plunge, please document the build, I am certain lots of people would love to learn from it.

This boat is in the Sacramento area and a few months back when I went in they had a blue LSV that fell off the trailer. Now if you could buy both of them and make one, that would be the deal. I have pics in my phone and will have to upload them.

There is one of the catches....the Monsoon is several thousand less than the Hammerhead and many thousand less than the 8.1. I think you are doing it an injustice for resale value if you put the Monsoon in. It will be like a six cylinder classic Mustang....a Mustang yes...but not a highly sought after car. If you are planning on keeping it for the long run and resale is not of interest for you...then good for you! My Hammerhead, with the exception of burning oil, is a great motor and even with it I had to prop down to make the think go. I do believe the Monsoon is going to have a hard time pulling that boat. And don't believe what Malibu says, there is no way in the world the 247 is only 100 lbs heavier than the 23 LSV.....put the two side by side, nearly 18 inches longer, nearly 1 foot taller with all the other parts, plus the 89 gallon fuel tank, it all adds up to quite a bit more weight.

Best of luck to you if you go forward. If you do take the plunge, please document the build, I am certain lots of people would love to learn from it.

Are you at altitude? I hear what you're saying in terms of power, but I simply know too many people who have constant gremlins with their hammerhead. I'm on my 5th monsoon, and never had a lick of trouble....knock on wood....haha

If I do take the plunge, I will take pictures.

This is the boat I seen at the same salvage yard. It did have the motor and power wedge but just a little beat up. I don't know what ever happened to it so you would need to call them.

Are you at altitude? I hear what you're saying in terms of power, but I simply know too many people who have constant gremlins with their hammerhead. I'm on my 5th monsoon, and never had a lick of trouble....knock on wood....haha

If I do take the plunge, I will take pictures.

our home lake is at about 800'. I have never run the boat at high altitude, but with the ballast full and the wedge down, without the 1235 prop, it was a dog.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone recognize the boat on ebay? This boat might not have been a theft recovery, and the interior and engine MAY exist, someone knows where they are. Does anyone here know who that might be? All help appreciated.

does anyone recognize the boat on ebay? This boat might not have been a theft recovery, and the interior and engine MAY exist, someone knows where they are. Does anyone here know who that might be? All help appreciated.

I would try calling the Sacramento area Malibu dealers. One of them more than likely sold it new and knows the story behind it. Also you may try calling Boat Country in Escalon, CA. It is on a DHM trailer and I know that Boat County used to put all their boats on DHMs.