Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This goes from cool boat ... to not cool

PrimeData

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 85 Barefoot

• kb3

• D-GOOSE

• 99response

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am surprised there is still a prop on it. Either someone was mad their boat was going to get repo'd and stripped it, or I guess it was stolen and stripped. I am sure they will clean up selling those seat cushions. :Doh:

Edited by MalibuTime

I'm surprised the bow cushions are all still there. I mean why remove the entire engine and transmission and every seat in the back, but leave the driver's seat and bow cushions?? I'm sure you could send that boat back to the factory and have them rebuild everything that's missing. The outside looks to be in great shape. Might be a good deal for someone willing to put the time into rebuilding the interior...and buying and installing an engine!

half tempted to buy this boat. throw an engine in it and fill it with lead weight on the regular surf side. you would not have the prettiest boat as far as interior goes but you would have one hell of a surf wave. Idiots left the wedge.

I'm surprised the bow cushions are all still there. I mean why remove the entire engine and transmission and every seat in the back, but leave the driver's seat and bow cushions?? I'm sure you could send that boat back to the factory and have them rebuild everything that's missing. The outside looks to be in great shape. Might be a good deal for someone willing to put the time into rebuilding the interior...and buying and installing an engine!

What is a healthy estimate to bring her back to factory condition...$20K.

What is a healthy estimate to bring her back to factory condition...$20K.

I don't see why you couldn't do it for $20k. Even if you paid $25k to restore it, you could probably get it for $20k, then you're into it for $45k and you'd have a brand new engine, transmission and interior. If someone has the cash to fix it, it's a good deal I think.

What a shame, they obviously had a place to pull the motor and tranny so someone had this planned from the start.

And they did a fairly clean job at removing it, hose clamps loosened and moved down the hose, plugs unplugged, not cut, no oil all over the place. Looks suspicious?

Wish I had the money....mechanics dream! Course then I would have to build a big enough garage for a 247. My V-ride barely fits. I even like the colors.

SAD....

Question...What goes in the horizontal "slot" in the short wall just in front of where the V-drive goes?? (where your heels would be if sitting facing forward in the rearmost seat.)

If someone is interested in it, they can just try to use the "Best Offer" method and give them a low ball price. Offer like 5 grand and see if they take it. I can't imagine someone would pay 23k for a boat that needs that much work, but for 5 to 10 k then drop in an engine and the necessary parts and you could have yourself a nice boat that didn't cost you too much if you like projects like this.

I spoke to seller. Although he won't sell for anything near 10, I still think there is some potential here.

Is there anyone near Sacramento who can take a look? I'll pay you. thx

jkendallmsce

I spoke to seller. Although he won't sell for anything near 10, I still think there is some potential here.

Is there anyone near Sacramento who can take a look? I'll pay you. thx

I saw the boat on ebay. And was thinking about looking at it for a summer project. I thought it funny that they removed the transom lights, but left the prop. Amazing what drugs will do to your noggin!!! I think they want way toooo much, but if you could get it for a good price and had the mechanical skills...who knows. I figure it would take 10-15k in parts alone

I am about an hour away. What questions did you have?

I saw the boat on ebay. And was thinking about looking at it for a summer project. I thought it funny that they removed the transom lights, but left the prop. Amazing what drugs will do to your noggin!!! I think they want way toooo much, but if you could get it for a good price and had the mechanical skills...who knows. I figure it would take 10-15k in parts alone

I am about an hour away. What questions did you have?

Really just questions about the condition. Exterior looks like it is nice shape, interior looks ok, but it looks like there is some damage to the drivers foot area and wall. So, really just more detail from someone who knows what is and what is not permanent damage really. Even if another 15k was needed, 35k invested in a 247 with a brand new motor isn't a bad deal. I would think that could also be flipped easily for a profit of 10k or so (assuming you did labor).

You available to look at it? if so, PM me, thx

Ya the problem is that 35k is good for you to have a 247 but I don't think anyone is going to pay you more than 35k for a boat that has been stolen, stripped, and then rebuilt. If you had a mechanic put in a new engine and get it running, then you ordered all the parts yourself for the boat. Like seats, sunpad, glovebox door etc....then you personally put that stuff together (saving you labor costs) I could see it being a fun project and saving you a good chunk of money on a 247. You may even be able to redue any wiring yourself and stuff like that.

I just know that personally I wouldn't spend 35k or close to it on a boat that had one owner, was stolen and stripped, then had a second owner who rebuilt it. I know you are not trying to scam anyone but can you see how that might appear to be a scam to someone? Like if you used cheap parts or something when rebuilding it.

I am not trying to be a downer either. The idea does sound like a lot of fun. I am just trying to explain what I think a potential buyer might see before you were to commit time and money to a project like this. If the repairs were non-mechanical I think it would be a different story.

Edited by wakeboy

Ya the problem is that 35k is good for you to have a 247 but I don't think anyone is going to pay you more than 35k for a boat that has been stolen, stripped, and then rebuilt. If you had a mechanic put in a new engine and get it running, then you ordered all the parts yourself for the boat. Like seats, sunpad, glovebox door etc....then you personally put that stuff together (saving you labor costs) I could see it being a fun project and saving you a good chunk of money on a 247. You may even be able to redue any wiring yourself and stuff like that.

I just know that personally I wouldn't spend 35k or close to it on a boat that had one owner, was stolen and stripped, then had a second owner who rebuilt it. I know you are not trying to scam anyone but can you see how that might appear to be a scam to someone? Like if you used cheap parts or something when rebuilding it.

I am not trying to be a downer either. The idea does sound like a lot of fun. I am just trying to explain what I think a potential buyer might see before you were to commit time and money to a project like this. If the repairs were non-mechanical I think it would be a different story.

Lots of truth to this, You have to discount the sells price to low retail at best to get the boat sold. If that still works then go for it. However this problem goes down the longer you own the boat. keep it long enough for them to think you did it for your self. REW

I think you are dreaming if you think you can get the motor, trans, v-drive with all the required components for anywhere near $15K. I would bet you would be in it much closer to $25K by the time you got all the necessary parts, maybe even more.

On a side note. I really like the color. What is that green called?

I think the color is especially neat also. That would be called Spartan green. GO MSU, Sparty on :yahoo: