Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a cheap rubber ballast pump

Faceplant409

Hey guys, last year I tried to put a regular centrifugal ballast pump on my cooler under the seat to drain it overboard rather than in the bilge. It worked to a degree, but in the end would lose its prime and just suck air and leave it with an inch of water in the cooler. I even lengthened the hose so the pump is actually below the oil pan to help prime. It helped a little.

I'm looking for a cheap rubber veined (impeller style), self priming pump (3/4" or 1/2" would work) Everything I find is $200 or more....

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Pat

Hey guys, last year I tried to put a regular centrifugal ballast pump on my cooler under the seat to drain it overboard rather than in the bilge. It worked to a degree, but in the end would lose its prime and just suck air and leave it with an inch of water in the cooler. I even lengthened the hose so the pump is actually below the oil pan to help prime. It helped a little.

I'm looking for a cheap rubber veined (impeller style), self priming pump (3/4" or 1/2" would work) Everything I find is $200 or more....

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Pat

how about just a small bilge pump? use a small diameter hose so when the pump shuts off and the water in the hose drains back to your cooler, there won't be much volume to drain back.

tractor supply (tsc) has pumps that are self priming.

look to be a dead ringer for the pump that is used in the shower.

iirc it's $90 but add a handful of brass to that and that same pump could act as a shower pump, too.

do you have a shower installed?

if so, add a couple of fittings/valve(s) to it and use that pump.

edit to add: the tsc pumps are for sprayers (orchard, etc.).

Edited by tvano

how about just a small bilge pump? use a small diameter hose so when the pump shuts off and the water in the hose drains back to your cooler, there won't be much volume to drain back.

I tried the smallest I could find at West Marine... 600gph I think..

Pump is below the cooler (below the engine actually) so nothing to drain back.