Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo system died

Have the factory system in my 2003 Response. Has Clarion deck, Infinity sub and JBL wired remote. Just quit working. Circuit breaker fine. Pulled deck and there is power at the fuse and the 10amp fuse is good. There is a 1 amp fuse that is also good.

Could it be ignition switch? Don't have wire diagram, so not sure what wire is from ignition.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

if you have a circuit tester you could check to see whether you've got constant power at the yellow wire and switched power at the red wire. If those test good, then make sure your ground is good. At that point if it won't turn on my bet would be bad headunit.

if you have a circuit tester you could check to see whether you've got constant power at the yellow wire and switched power at the red wire. If those test good, then make sure your ground is good. At that point if it won't turn on my bet would be bad headunit.

Thanks, I do have power at the yellow, but was not sure which was the switched wire. Does the switch wire also control the wired remote?

Thanks, I do have power at the yellow, but was not sure which was the switched wire. Does the switch wire also control the wired remote?

Switched wire is usually the solid red behind the head unit. Not sure where your remote is, or how it is wired, so I would not rely that it is the same. Are you cabin speakers run off of the head unit, or do you have amps running all speakers/subs? I would lean towards a bad head unit, but more info would help.

My remote gets power from the head unit itself. I would concentrate on the head unit.

What actually died? Do you mean that there are no lights on the front of the HU, and no sound coming out of anything, or there is just no sound though things look as if they should be working (lights are on as normal)?

What actually died? Do you mean that there are no lights on the front of the HU, and no sound coming out of anything, or there is just no sound though things look as if they should be working (lights are on as normal)?

The head unit is without power, will not turn on. Since it is getting power at the yellow wire, assumed that it is not getting power thru the remote turn on, or the unit itself is the problem or possibly in the ignition switch.

Thanks for the information.

The head unit is without power, will not turn on. Since it is getting power at the yellow wire, assumed that it is not getting power thru the remote turn on, or the unit itself is the problem or possibly in the ignition switch.

Thanks for the information.

The yellow wire is constant power, but you'll also need to check the red (12V switched). The remote turn on wire (typically blue, or blue with white stripe) is to control power to the amplifiers (turn them on/off with the radio, so they don't stay on all the time, killing your battery). The remote wire should have no effect on your HU working properly.

With all that said, if any wires are grounding (shorting) out anywhere, they could be frying your HU.

Good luck

FIRST: when you turn your key, do you get power at the red wire? If not, stop there.

SECOND: Ground OK?

THIRD: unplug remote... anything?

FOURTH: Any wires shorting / grounding?

FIRST: when you turn your key, do you get power at the red wire? If not, stop there.

SECOND: Ground OK?

THIRD: unplug remote... anything?

FOURTH: Any wires shorting / grounding?

Thanks for the help. With the key on, had power at the red wire at the connector, but not past the connector. A bit of work on the connector and everything power up fine