Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing ballast/fat sac

RyanOz

So I'm trying to get dialed in for summer surfing.

My boat is a 09 Malibu VLX. I'm just using the built in ballast system, filling the back left, center, and wedge down.

I just ordered a Shred Stixx Comp 1 board.

I want to install a fat sac in the back compartment and was looking at this website: http://www.wakemakers.com/

Has anyone installed these? Is it difficult to integrate with the factory system... flipping a switch to fill the tank?

BTW... is anyone in or near Dallas, TX? I'm in Shreveport, LA... but travel over to Dallas quite a bit.

Thanks

Edited by RyanOz

I have been trying to call wakemakers.com at 888-338-6085 for week but the line seems like dead. Is the company existed? I have some questions about Piggy Back 750# wake surf ballast system. I know it will work with my 08 LSV. My ballast gauge is unstable. I don't want to fill up 750 # bag for wakeboarding.. How do I know when to stop it from filling up bag?

Edited by Woodsprinter

I have been trying to call wakemakers.com at 888-338-6085 for week but the line seems like dead. Is the company existed? I have some questions about Piggy Back 750# wake surf ballast system. I know it will work with my 08 LSV. My ballast gauge is unstable. I don't want to fill up 750 # bag for wakeboarding.. How do I know when to stop it from filling up bag?

If your guage is messed up you would probably have to look at the bag to see if it's filling.

I ordered my 750# piggyback system last week for my 2010 Vride over the phone. The guy I talked to was very informative. It is not possible to only fill the factory ballast without filling the piggyback ballast he said all you can do is monitor your MLS gauges. He says the system is complete for a pretty simple install. I hope this helps you guys if you have any more questions I can try to answer them to the best of my knowledge but keep trying the line I didn't have any problem getting through.

If your guage is messed up you would probably have to look at the bag to see if it's filling.

Yes, It will be tempoarry solution! There should be the way to calibrate ballast gauge like power wedge?

I ordered my 750# piggyback system last week for my 2010 Vride over the phone. The guy I talked to was very informative. It is not possible to only fill the factory ballast without filling the piggyback ballast he said all you can do is monitor your MLS gauges. He says the system is complete for a pretty simple install. I hope this helps you guys if you have any more questions I can try to answer them to the best of my knowledge but keep trying the line I didn't have any problem getting through.

I believe we can add bypass switch for filling up which will go bag or bypass to over hull vent directly?

Edited by Woodsprinter

what? you have to fill up the piggyback 750 wakesurf bag when you fill the factory ballasts?

That's stupid.

Does anyone have specific details on the install!!?? You'd think wakemakers would have this on their site, they have everything except this.

Edited by RyanOz

I believe we can add bypass switch for filling up which will go bag or bypass to over hull vent directly?

Can you tell me more about this bypass? Does wakemakers have it because I asked the guy I talked to about something like that and he said there was no way. I was waiting to get it and install it to see if I could come up with something on my own.

I ordered Piggy back 750# upgrade kit yesterday. I will see what I can when I install. I was told that preset (2008+) should be able to stop from filling up the bag. I know ballast presets show four tanks but not bag. How do I preset the full including bag when it doesn't show bag on monitor? Ummm. I just received 08 LSV a few weeks ago. Gotta play around more..

Edited by Woodsprinter

I ordered Piggy back 750# upgrade kit yesterday. I will see what I can when I install. I was told that preset (2008+) should be able to stop from filling up the bag. I know ballast presets show four tanks but not bag. How do I preset the full including bag when it doesn't show bag on monitor? Ummm. I just received 08 LSV a few weeks ago. Gotta play around more..

Cool. Take some pics of the install to show us, since we can't get install info from wakemakers.

• 2 weeks later...

if you have the money have someone install a fat sac system. i just put one in Rhino's boat. he should be posting pics after this weekend. we are in the houston area. if you want more info let me know...

• 1 month later...

I put the 750 piggy back system in my 2009 247 and its VERY easy to install. I did have to call Wakemakers twice because the setup didn't make sense but I think they have since redone the instructions. Basically the fill "goes through" the additional bag into the factory hard tanks, though some water gets caught in the top bag as its filling the factory tank. When the auto system reads "full" in the hard tank the system shuts off, so I just manually flip the switch to finish filling the bag. You know its full when it starts spitting out the side.

To drain you just hit "go home" (or manual drain) and as the factory tank empties the bag drains into it. I like this set up because I don't have to open the storage area to switch any valves like I did on my MasterCraft. It isn't PERFECT but then what would be besides having enough from the factory. I find that it doesn't drain the bag as good when I'm cruising since gravity pulls the water to the back of the bag and the drain is in the front. LEARN FROM ME: make your drain hose from the new bag to the factory hard tank as SHORT AS YOU CAN GET IT! Since this all works on gravity it sure does help to have the shorter hose when draining from the new bag into the factory tank.

Btw, SICK wake surfing at 10.4! A little short but very steep. After reading here I'm going to try bumping up the speed to see if I can get it a bit longer. Usually noone wants to sit in the front so I may have to weight it some.