Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

vride or wakesetter speed

powderski14

What's up everybody? You guys have always been helpful with my questions so here's another. My bay that i live in on my lake is always calm...glass. Where we all get together with other boats and what not and party is otherside of lake, more than just a quick dash. Whats the top speed on these boats? This is another pro vs con on me either getting a wakeboat or a baja. Thanks

Sounds like you better get a Baja if speed is a concern. The one or two times I've peaked mine out I think it was around 44 or 45 mph..... just myself, no ballast & very little cargo. I typically have a couple hundred lbs of lead, plus people, cargo & gas. It gets up to 38 or 39 mph very easily but I just don't wind it up very often. :unsure:

What is your experience with boating? If it's not much, you may want to start with a smaller used (somewhat cheap) I/O for a few years and see what you like to use the boat for. Look into something like a SeaRay, just to get your feet wet.

martinarcher

What's up everybody? You guys have always been helpful with my questions so here's another. My bay that i live in on my lake is always calm...glass. Where we all get together with other boats and what not and party is otherside of lake, more than just a quick dash. Whats the top speed on these boats? This is another pro vs con on me either getting a wakeboat or a baja. Thanks

Dang. You need to ski or wakeboard to the party if that's the case. Rockon.gif I wish our lake was always glass! Crazy.gif We have to search for smooth water on the weekends.

The boat most likely to be a good all around performer is probably a direct drive Sunsetter, maybe 5 to 15 years old. Condition and price should determine your choice.

1 Easy resale. A sunsetter appeals to the family, the skier, and novice wakeboarders because of the roominess. Even a sunsetter with the basic engine will pull skiers up quickly with a full load.

2. Top speed really isn't what you will be doing most of the time. My boat does 49 under most conditions but spends most of the time at 32 mph towing or cruising.

3. The most fun you will have is towing family and friends. The swim step on a direct drive really makes it nice.

4. Just when I am ripping along at top speed some guy on a jet ski goes by doing 60 ( or 70) so there is no way to be fastest on the lake.

5. I spend a lot of time floating underneath my Bimini Top doing zero mph. Don't need a Baja for that.

6. After you own a sunsetter for a while you will have enough experience to know what kind of boating activity you will reaaly do most of the time.

7. Any direct drive will give you more fun hours on the water than a go fast boat. Mastercraft, Ski Centurion, Tige' or whatever you can find in good condition. Hole shot is what counts.

What is your experience with boating? If it's not much, you may want to start with a smaller used (somewhat cheap) I/O for a few years and see what you like to use the boat for. Look into something like a SeaRay, just to get your feet wet.

I am 24 and have been around boats my whole life...ive driven plenty of i/o's and outs and only test drove a moomba. I have 2 boats im keeping an eye on. One is a baja23 outlaw and the othere is a 21 ride. Ive been wakeboarding for about 5 years and would like to have a boat to improve and go bigger.

I am 24 and have been around boats my whole life...ive driven plenty of i/o's and outs and only test drove a moomba. I have 2 boats im keeping an eye on. One is a baja23 outlaw and the othere is a 21 ride. Ive been wakeboarding for about 5 years and would like to have a boat to improve and go bigger.

Well if you're new to inboards, they are tougher to park. Reverse has no steering, and drifting has no steering.

The two boats are apples and oranges, so good luck. Let us know if we can answer any more questions. You might want to figure out what you plan on doing with the boat most of the time. Keep in mind you CAN NOT surf with the I/O.

Hey Powderski, I've noticed you ahve a couple topics about small comparisons between an inboard and a Baja. Just a suggestion, but it may be best if you make a topic comparing baja to inboards. It really is apple to aranges and there's a lot more differences than sleeping, speed and chop (as you've mentioned in your topics). Start a new topic "Inboards vs. Baja" and let us know exactly what you plan on doing with the boat, your typical day on the water etc. It will really give us a better understanding to try and help you, and will probably point out a few other MAJOR differences the two which you may or may-not like. For ex. A Baja is designed to drive and an inboard is designed to ride behind (a major decided factor depending on what you want to do with the boat).

Just my $0.02, as I think it will be much more valuable to you as well as any potential readers.

Hey Powderski, I've noticed you ahve a couple topics about small comparisons between an inboard and a Baja. Just a suggestion, but it may be best if you make a topic comparing baja to inboards. It really is apple to aranges and there's a lot more differences than sleeping, speed and chop (as you've mentioned in your topics). Start a new topic "Inboards vs. Baja" and let us know exactly what you plan on doing with the boat, your typical day on the water etc. It will really give us a better understanding to try and help you, and will probably point out a few other MAJOR differences the two which you may or may-not like. For ex. A Baja is designed to drive and an inboard is designed to ride behind (a major decided factor depending on what you want to do with the boat).

Just my $0.02, as I think it will be much more valuable to you as well as any potential readers.

I love wakeboarding...been doin it for about 5 years...that's why I would love to get an inboard...they can hold more people, just don't go as fast and its hard to sleep on...that's why I like the bajas but its not fun boarding behind i/o,s anymore

I love wakeboarding...been doin it for about 5 years...that's why I would love to get an inboard...they can hold more people, just don't go as fast and its hard to sleep on...that's why I like the bajas but its not fun boarding behind i/o,s anymore

I think you just answered your own question.Whistling.gif

Ok well here is what I see. Basically you know you want the vride but you really want someone to tell you it can go fast. It will not go fast. You want to wakeboard and fit more people in the boat, so the vride makes sense. Now when you guys are zipping across the lake and I understand that, it is sometimes disheartening to see some cheap jet ski out running your nice new expensive boat. Now if you are willing to buy one of the tent like covers for your boat that I have seen on this forum you will be able to sleep on your boat no problem. Also, if you are willing to get to the side of the lake where everyone is hanging out going only 40 mph knowing that your boat is built for more than just racing over to just stop and you can also wakeboard surf etc.... then I think you will be very happy.

The vride seems to compromise a few things you want to do (go fast), but the Baja seems to eliminate somethings you want to do (wakeboard). So what is more important wakeboarding or getting to your hangout spot 5 10 or 15 minutes sooner?

Good luck on your decision.

By the way, my 2008 VLX goes only 42 to 43 at best. Might be better on glass with only me in the boat, however I more often find myself with a bunch of people and gear in choppy windy conditions and then I am going only 38 to 39 mph. My justification is that my boat looks damn good so I don't need to be faster than everyone else in order to have the better boat.