Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat vibration

I'm new to the board but have been lurking for a year or so. I've got a problem with my boat, 2000 Malibu Sunsetter Lxi, it vibrates when driving. The very last time I took it to the lake, I bent the prop. Well I assumed that changing the prop would fix the vibration. While I was changing the prop I turned the shaft from underneath the boat with my hand and the shaft seems to be making a lot of noise from the little shaft guide thing that's under the boat. I didn't know if that was normal since it wasn't in the water. I haven't gotten to test it out yet to see if the prop fixes the vibration but I thought I would ask and see if someone smarter then me might know something. Thanks alot for any help

I'm new to the board but have been lurking for a year or so. I've got a problem with my boat, 2000 Malibu Sunsetter Lxi, it vibrates when driving. The very last time I took it to the lake, I bent the prop. Well I assumed that changing the prop would fix the vibration. While I was changing the prop I turned the shaft from underneath the boat with my hand and the shaft seems to be making a lot of noise from the little shaft guide thing that's under the boat. I didn't know if that was normal since it wasn't in the water. I haven't gotten to test it out yet to see if the prop fixes the vibration but I thought I would ask and see if someone smarter then me might know something. Thanks alot for any help

If the new prop doesn't solve the problem you may have also bent your driveshaft or the strut. The stut is the "shaft guide thing" you refer to. Hope the prop solves it. :rockon:

If the new prop doesn't solve the problem you may have also bent your driveshaft or the strut. The stut is the "shaft guide thing" you refer to. Hope the prop solves it. :rockon:

I hope not!!! Your killin the moment BuFootin!!! LOL

Do you know what you hit? How bad did it bend your prop? I hit something with my prop and had it fixed, and just found out that my prop shaft is bent also. :Frustrated: I couldnt tell by just looking at it, only noticed when the shaft was turning when I was flushing the motor.

Usually if you do much damage to your prop you will also bend your shaft. Most people don't know this and fix their prop and go about their merry way, never noticing that anything is wrong. You won't be able to tell by turning or looking at it and most of the time you won't even feel the vibration. In your case it is bad enough that you can feel it. You need a dial indicator to measure it and usually you have to remove the shaft to check it. If it's bent .003 inches or more you need to straighten or replace your shaft. Otherwise you will wear other parts such as the strut bushing that normally squeaks when it's dry.

Usually if you do much damage to your prop you will also bend your shaft. Most people don't know this and fix their prop and go about their merry way, never noticing that anything is wrong. You won't be able to tell by turning or looking at it and most of the time you won't even feel the vibration. In your case it is bad enough that you can feel it. You need a dial indicator to measure it and usually you have to remove the shaft to check it. If it's bent .003 inches or more you need to straighten or replace your shaft. Otherwise you will wear other parts such as the strut bushing that normally squeaks when it's dry.

Well I'm hoping the shaft isn't bent. The prop wasn't bent to bad, just one of the fins was kinda bent down. It doesn't seem to have a vibration when the boat is on the trailer and I let the shaft spin... If that shaft is bent, I'm punching babies!!!

Well I'm hoping the shaft isn't bent. The prop wasn't bent to bad, just one of the fins was kinda bent down. It doesn't seem to have a vibration when the boat is on the trailer and I let the shaft spin... If that shaft is bent, I'm punching babies!!!

Well let us know if changing the prop helped.. I have the same problem, I bent the prop a bit hitting the wood on my lift. I tried to straighten the prop out, just curled the tips...So hoping only a prop swap will fix.

Where can one find a replacement drive shaft? Mine is on a 90 Malibu Sunsetter

TIA

Well let us know if changing the prop helped.. I have the same problem, I bent the prop a bit hitting the wood on my lift. I tried to straighten the prop out, just curled the tips...So hoping only a prop swap will fix.

Where can one find a replacement drive shaft? Mine is on a 90 Malibu Sunsetter

TIA

The prop fixed it, the boat runs perfect!!! Now if I could just learn to wakeboard better my world would be perfect...