Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive Silent Rider Muffler Degraded

Squag Mon

Has anyone damaged their muffler after getting the engine temp high? Ran the boat 1st time (this year) several weeks ago and popped off a hose post the impeller (don't ask--something about not putting the wrench to one hose clamp). Got temperature alarm and turned off the engine immediately. Tightened the hose and allowed engine to cool prior to restart. Ran for another hour or so with no problems and trailered. Checked oil and did not notice any water--changed oil anyway. Have taken the boat out another two weekends and upon trailering the last time noticed a string of fiberglass sticking out of the exhaust tip. Put the boat in the water again and then noticed a leak on the hose from manifold to muffler. Pulled muffler and found that the wall of the muffler that connects to manifold tubing is thinned and cracked. Everything else appears OK, i.e. baffles.

The muffler is made by Marine Mufflers and Bakes carries these online for like $349. I think I can epoxy the crack and maybe go as far as strengthen the wall with a fiberglass patch from the inside as the inner fiberglass is what was damaged. I can also use other patch materials like liquid steel, etc..

Can anyone provide any concerns to why this should not be done versus buying a new muffler? The one concern I do have is the material is made of fire resistant materials.

If your seeing strands of glass hanging out the exhaust port, she might as well be toast.

You have baffles inside the muffler (no muffler bearings Innocent.gif ) if those so happen to break of completely and block your exhaust and your motor hydro locks when your doing 3K RPM or more you might as well see buh bye to your motors crank.

I would get that muffler off and check it out closer, if you have water leaks it is probably a lot worse than you think.

-Paul

Paul,

I pulled the muffler tonight, baffles were ok. I put a mirror inside and didn't see much damage inside--only on the one wall that connects to the manifold tubing on the starboard side. It was thinned and had a small crack. I'm assuming the fibergalss is from the wall. The baffles really are just the other tubbing sticking further into the muffler providing some back pressure where the water is held somewhat in the mufller-right?

Edited by Squag Mon

If your seeing strands of glass hanging out the exhaust port, she might as well be toast.

You have baffles inside the muffler (no muffler bearings Innocent.gif ) if those so happen to break of completely and block your exhaust and your motor hydro locks when your doing 3K RPM or more you might as well see buh bye to your motors crank.

I would get that muffler off and check it out closer, if you have water leaks it is probably a lot worse than you think.

-Paul

Paul,

I pulled the muffler tonight, baffles were ok. I put a mirror inside and didn't see much damage inside--only on the one wall that connects to the manifold tubing on the starboard side. It was thinned and had a small crack. I'm assuming the fibergalss is from the wall. The baffles really are just the other tubbing sticking further into the muffler providing some back pressure where the water is held somewhat in the mufller-right?

You can re-glass it they don't get that hot. Local auto parts store should have a little patch kit or if it is small enough you could epoxy it. If you look at a new muffler they are really thin in those areas you can see light through them, I have seen a few crack. Not a lot too them don't even run a muffler in mine makes changing the impeller a breeze. :biggrin:

It is a little louder but sounds good. I put some 4" turn downs on mine so it's not that much louder then it was with the muffler. We have done some of the 8.1's in the MC's they are a little bit to loud. The BU with the standard 3 1/2 exhaust running at 25mph and under is comparable to a gas pickup running a Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Gets a little louder at ski speeds. I have probably done 12 in the last two years for friends and family. I have been doing it too my boats for years. Every time we are out people ask what we did and then ask how. You can get some stainless tips that have baffles that you can bolt in and out that is what I have done to quite down my friends 8.1. It's not for everyone I am a big gearhead and like to hear a good sounding engine but also don't want something that sounds like you cut the exhaust at the headers or ran down and got some cherry bombs at Napa crapa. I will see if I can find the site that I ordered my last set of tips from and post it up.