Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shame on Malibu corp.

liljohn

There has been a rumor floating around that Malibu was not going to renew their terms with Bakes marine for 2011. The whole time I figured no way! The crew at Bakes has been there for far too long for Malibu to do something like that. Well a couple of days ago my bubble burst. I was told that Malibu had new representation in the area. Not wanting to believe it I called and it was confirmed!

After I confirmed it all. I called and spoke with various people at bakes to find out what this means for me as a customer. I was told Nothing (unless I want a new one).. Bakes Has assured me that the service/canvas/online side of things will live long and strong!

Anyways all of this has lead me to say shame on you MALIBU CORP. After hearing how everything happened it makes me sick to think that this is how you treat a dealer who has been with you for over twenty years. Bakes has been a stand up honest business. The Bakes team has strived to promote the sport and the product above and beyond most dealers and this is the thanks they get. SHAME ON YOU!

I could say a lot more but it would all be out of anger so I will stop here. I just wanted everyone to know what our beloved boat builder is doing.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• jeremyk

• liljohn

• Bill_AirJunky

There has been a rumor floating around that Malibu was not going to renew their terms with Bakes marine for 2011. The whole time I figured no way! The crew at Bakes has been there for far too long for Malibu to do something like that. Well a couple of days ago my bubble burst. I was told that Malibu had new representation in the area. Not wanting to believe it I called and it was confirmed!

After I confirmed it all. I called and spoke with various people at bakes to find out what this means for me as a customer. I was told Nothing (unless I want a new one).. Bakes Has assured me that the service/canvas/online side of things will live long and strong!

Anyways all of this has lead me to say shame on you MALIBU CORP. After hearing how everything happened it makes me sick to think that this is how you treat a dealer who has been with you for over twenty years. Bakes has been a stand up honest business. The Bakes team has strived to promote the sport and the product above and beyond most dealers and this is the thanks they get. SHAME ON YOU!

I could say a lot more but it would all be out of anger so I will stop here. I just wanted everyone to know what our beloved boat builder is doing.

Uh wow. My impression of the Bakes is that they were possibly the "best" malibu dealer out there. You can imagine my shock. Maybe I was wrong considering the big picture but around here they are more helpful than any other dealer for sure.

Wasn't / isn't Bakes for sale? I thought I remember reading that in the fall, but now can't find it. Could be (and probably is) more to the story than malibu being "mean." Just sayin.

All I can say is I'm really sorry to hear this. I don't live in the area, but I have found Paul's participation in this site to be highly valued, and as a result, feel like I know him. Same thing with Peter (who I have actually met). These guys obviously love the sport, and I can't imagine someone being a 'better' dealer. :(

waiting for paul from bakes to chime in.....

Shocking.gif

I wish I could but I shouldn't. Since this is a sensitive subject, I asked Bill to respond to the crew.

Bakes will be keeping there doors open and will continue to take care of our needs. Yahoo.gif

Correct, we're not closing, just getting bigger and better at we do best. Service/Parts/Customer service.

I will confirm that we are still going to be a parts/service center for Malibu Boats.

-Paul

So Malibu would rather be with a Cobalt dealer on Lake Union/Washington than with their own veteran dealership near Sammamish (which has way more wake sport boats & talent)??

WTH is the rationale here?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

So Malibu would rather be with a Cobalt dealer on Lake Union/Washington than with their own veteran dealership near Sammamish (which has way more wake sport boats & talent)??

WTH is the rationale here?

Knowing nothing, I'll bet it's a need on the big M's part to MOVE SOME UNITS and they found someone willing to order a bunch of floor boats.

All I can say is I'm really sorry to hear this. I don't live in the area, but I have found Paul's participation in this site to be highly valued, and as a result, feel like I know him. Same thing with Peter. These guys obviously love the sport, and I can't imagine someone being a 'better' dealer. :(

:plus1:

I spoke to Paul this morning about this, and it just ruined my day. Paul and the team at Bakes are so passionate and knowledgable about Malibu boats, that I cannot imagine any other dealer being able to provide the level of support that these folks do.

I can definitely understand if Malibu is trying to secure its future by talking to other dealers, but there is definitely some shortsightedness here when it comes to the fact that Bakes does not do much advertising, yet still has an EXTREMELY loyal customer base. it will be interesting to see what happens, and i am sure that many buyers will continue with Malibu, but i cannot imagine any other dealer creating the atmosphere that Bakes has.

salute.gif to the team at Bakes. it has been great working with you, and as long as you are around to provide service (and i have a boat), i will come to you first!

Talk about getting stabbed in the back. What a bunch of sleaze-balls. Now I know what 06 was talking about. Maybe it is doubtful Malibu will still be in business after 10 years if this is how they treat one of their best dealers.

Edited by MalibuTime

Wow, this is crazy. I haven't dealt with bakes personally but I have read nothing but good things about them. Their online store rocks.

I'm seeing malibu in a new light right now......and it ain't pretty.

Living in San Francisco area this does not affect me personally, but I do know how something like this can affect a whole community... Since I've owned a Bu we've gone through 2 dealer networks working on our third!!

I am going to reserve comment until we hear from Bill... (who may be bound to a confidentiality clause in a contract...)

This does make me feel for all you up north!

I have bought online from Bakes and they will still have my business!!! Some margins on a new boat can be well offset by quality service and parts. Any loss of income is a bad thing but like many vehicles there is more money in parts and service in the long run. Now we the consumer has our say... money talks and bs walks.

Talk about getting stabbed in the back. What a bunch of sleaze-balls. Now I know what 06 was talking about. Maybe it is doubtful Malibu will still be in business after 10 years if this is how they treat one of their best dealers.

Exactly what I was talking about...

Malibu is really stepping on their **cks here, god forbid a dealer that has been in your TOP 10 sales and a dealer for you for over 21 years doesn't want you to push a bunch of boats down their throats and comprimise their business they've built up over the years. So now Malibu goes in line with what MC was doing to their dealers and forcing them to buy large quantities of boats to fly the Malibu flag. How many Malibu dealers have we seen go out of business in the last 1.5 years, way to many and it's made those boats sell for the same prices as Moomba. That hasn't happened here in the NW yet because a great dealer like Bakes actually had good business sense and vision to avoid that nightmare and Malibu is punishing them for it. Hey Malibu would it do you any good to force boats on one of your longest standing dealers and make them go out of business. What then??? It makes me sick that Malibu would treat one of thier very first and very best dealers like this.

It's not exaggeration when I say I've been seriously contemplating getting out of my Malibu for another brand and never looking back. Malibu is turning into a company I don't want to buy from. I've seen the subtle changes over the last few years, but now THEY HAVE TOTALLY SOLD OUT to the corporate greed mentality.

I think without a doubt they will drive the Malibu brand into the ground if they keep up these tactics. Good luck to you Malibu, you'll probably have to do it without sales every 2-3 years from me.

Did I hear right.. is Malibu now owned by an investment company. If so bottom line performance is now the only thing that matters. It's not is it the best widget but how many widgets and how much profit on each. They generally don't care if it is boats or tampons.

I was watching Wall Street on the plane the other day and the line comes back to mind "Greed is Good, Greed is Right"

Exactly what I was talking about...

Malibu is really stepping on their **cks here, god forbid a dealer that has been in your TOP 10 sales and a dealer for you for over 21 years doesn't want you to push a bunch of boats down their throats and comprimise their business they've built up over the years. So now Malibu goes in line with what MC was doing to their dealers and forcing them to buy large quantities of boats to fly the Malibu flag. How many Malibu dealers have we seen go out of business in the last 1.5 years, way to many and it's made those boats sell for the same prices as Moomba. That hasn't happened here in the NW yet because a great dealer like Bakes actually had good business sense and vision to avoid that nightmare and Malibu is punishing them for it. Hey Malibu would it do you any good to force boats on one of your longest standing dealers and make them go out of business. What then??? It makes me sick that Malibu would treat one of thier very first and very best dealers like this.

It's not exaggeration when I say I've been seriously contemplating getting out of my Malibu for another brand and never looking back. Malibu is turning into a company I don't want to buy from. I've seen the subtle changes over the last few years, but now THEY HAVE TOTALLY SOLD OUT to the corporate greed mentality.

I think without a doubt they will drive the Malibu brand into the ground if they keep up these tactics. Good luck to you Malibu, you'll probably have to do it without sales every 2-3 years from me.

Gmack I wasn't saying Malibu sold the company (I don't know if they ever did do that or not) I was just saying they sold out to the big corporate mentatlity vs the dealer owner friendly company they once were.

Edited by 06vlx

As someone who started a side business with Bakes and Malibu' help, I may and will consider other brands CC, Tige, and Centurion are nice boats too. Not Malibu's but options.

If I can buy a new boat next year and have Bakes service it then maybe.

Thank you to Bill and Paul as I will continue with you.

TPL

That really sucks. Malibu will lose more customers doing business like this faster than they can change their minds and back pedal. I love my boat and w/o Bake's selling repping Malibu and being respected by Malibu for their work, they aren't going to see another cent of my money.