Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help in finding a boat

Monk

We have lost out on three boat in the last 6 weeks. First boat was a clean 01 sunscap lsv low hours with everything you would need to wakeboard and surf. Could not get to the boat to get a deposit down, lost out to a local. The 2nd boat 04 wakesetter lsv also with lower hours, has me scratching my head. I have no idea what happened. The owner contracted with a Malibu dealer in their area to sell their boat. Part of deal was the dealer was to perform a survey on the boat. This owner pulled his boat out of storages before the survey ever got done. I found this boat and liked what the dealer was outlining regarding the condition and options. So I said lets get the boat in to do the survey, if everything looks and checks out OK. I am sure we can come to terms on price, and I will be up to pick the boat up this week. Dealer calls me back the next day last Friday, saying the owner does not want to take the boat off the lift, you can see the boat on his lift any time, FYI I am 6 hours away. The dealer can not understand what is going on with his owner, "either he is lazy or there is problem with the boat" The dealer tells me this owner has had all the services done at their dealership. So I can not believe it is the latter. If you wanted to sell your boat would you not want to do what ever it would take to get the sale to go through? No idea what this boat owner is thinking. So after wasting a week with this one we had to walk away. The 3RD guy I just got off the phone with, he now wants to trade his 23 ft wakesetter lsv to someone with a smaller ski boat. No deposit or any kind of agreement??? What am I doing wrong. Our deal can be a very quick transaction. Any suggestion would be welcomed. Our search is very broad a 2001-2004 23ft Malibu, set up for wakeboarding/surfing. We are in the Midwest Ohio, looking to stay 500-600 miles from home. I do want to see touch and test what ever boat I find. Also would like to get some use out of it this season. This is the problem I think we are having, we are a little too early and too late for some of these seller. Any and all help is welcomed. Thanks crew. I know you can help me spend some money...Resources I have been using are boattrader, onlyinboards, usedboats, iboats, themalibucrew, calling dealers who might have a owner who might want to buy a new boat and has a late model to sell. and craigslist. Anything I am missing please let me know. Thanks.

not sure what your price range is but fenton mi is less than 4 hours away.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Malibu-Sunscape-23-LSV-96188221

96188221_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Great looking boat. Over my price, by keeping in th 01-04 range I think we can keep with in the 36,000.00 and down range. Thanks for the thought. Edited by Monk

here is your best buy, it is 14 hours away, but get a quote using U-ship.com am guessing around $1,000. delivered.

maybe one of the crew can check it out for you, or better (no offence to the crew) have it checked at the dealer (or both).

it has been for sale for over a month so he might be flexible (maybe get him to throw in the cost of perfect pass)?

it has the hammerhead, sound like a good deal at $34,500

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=819895

here is your best buy, it is 14 hours away, but get a quote using U-ship.com am guessing around $1,000. delivered.

maybe one of the crew can check it out for you, or better (no offence to the crew) have it checked at the dealer (or both).

it has been for sale for over a month so he might be flexible (maybe get him to throw in the cost of perfect pass)?

Yes this would have worked very nice, this was our 2nd boat that fell through. This gentlemen has a gentleman's agreement with someone to trade this 23 ft. for a smaller boat and some added dollars. Does not have a deposit, nor a written agreement. He told me this person was to come to make the deal this past weekend but never did. He told me today he will hold onto my number and call if things do not work out. This would have been a home run. I am sure there is a better boat right around the corner. Sucks we have to do the waiting game. After the 4th I will pull the plug and wait until Jan, Feb. Along with getting my baseball bat out for the price negotiation part. Thanks for the thought. Edited by Monk

Yes this would have worked very nice, this was our 2nd boat that fell through. This gentlemen has a gentleman's agreement with someone to trade this 23 ft. for a smaller boat and some added dollars. Does not have a deposit, nor a written agreement. He told me this person was to come to make the deal this past weekend but never did. He told me today he will hold onto my number and call if things do not work out. This would have been a home run. I am sure there is a better boat right around the corner. Sucks we have to do the waiting game. After the 4th I will pull the plug and wait until Jan, Feb. Along with getting my baseball bat out for the price negotiation part. Thanks for the thought.

I would let that guy know your offer is only valid only until after the 4th weekend then. Hard to believe he is chasing a bird in the bush when he has a bird in hand.

That is a swell looking boat. The grey looks awesome!!

Hope things work out for you buddy, be persistant, some sellers are a bit thick and need a kick up the arse.

you know 04 is a completely different boat from 00-03, right? The big re-design was in 04.

Was the big re-design on just the 23 ft. boats or on every model for Malibu in 04?

Monk, I would call on that 23lsv in Michigan. I know that boat has been there a long time. They may be ready to move it. It never hurts to call and make an offer.

Monk, I would call on that 23lsv in Michigan. I know that boat has been there a long time. They may be ready to move it. It never hurts to call and make an offer.

It would have to be a helluva price cut, I've seen '07 LSV's go for thousands less than that one.

Here's a correctly priced '05

01 LSV with Titan Tower

Lake Norman is probably around 500 miles away from you. I might be able to check either of these out if you're really interested.

Edited by Ndawg12

It would have to be a helluva price cut, I've seen '07 LSV's go for thousands less than that one.

Here's a correctly priced '05

01 LSV with Titan Tower

Lake Norman is probably around 500 miles away from you. I might be able to check either of these out if you're really interested.

On the 05 I have left a few email messages for this boat and have never received a replay back. I just assume they had sold the boat. On the 01 I have also left 4-5 voices messages for this person again never received a replay back. Sometimes I think these ads stay up long after the owners have sold these boats for what ever the reason. Both would have worked if they had been available. I have worked all these ads and can not find a clean 23ft 01-04 Malibu boat that is available for sale or the owner has not changed his/her mind. The reason for the 23ft is a large family and friends who do not do a lot of skiing any longer. And if we wanted to ski in early morning or latter on in the evening, we have a lot of friends who have both barefoot boats and DD boats for skiing and or barefooting. The wife tells me to move onto a a 21 wakesetter. There are a whole lot of those on the market right now and be done with our search. But I have my heart set on a 23 if possible. I might have to stat a new search here soon..

If I had it to do all over again I would hold out for a 23'. The space in a 21' boat get taken up quickly. Keep looking and calling. You may have to consider having it u-shipped and a trusted member of this site checking it out for you. Plenty of people here would be willing to do that for you.

Just got off the phone with these folks. Dealer owned boat they took this in on trade this past spring. The owners traded it in on a new Mastercraft. I asked about the price, they told me they price there used inventory on the market and internet ads around the country? I have them sending me the boat survey and any additional photo's of the boat. They say it is a 10 out of 10?? No board racks, I asked why? The previous owners just used this boat to cruise around and never did anything with the boat. They just like the looks of the boat. Also this dealer added a wedge, the sales person did not know what type wedge it was, he was checking into this. My thoughts are it will be a manual wedge. I have no idea as to what to offer on this boat? And I do not to waste their or mind time. Any thoughts out there? The sale person did say he will take any offer to his sales manager all they can say is now and we are right back to where we started?

Just got off the phone with these folks. Dealer owned boat they took this in on trade this past spring. The owners traded it in on a new Mastercraft. I asked about the price, they told me they price there used inventory on the market and internet ads around the country? I have them sending me the boat survey and any additional photo's of the boat. They say it is a 10 out of 10?? No board racks, I asked why? The previous owners just used this boat to cruise around and never did anything with the boat. They just like the looks of the boat. Also this dealer added a wedge, the sales person did not know what type wedge it was, he was checking into this. My thoughts are it will be a manual wedge. I have no idea as to what to offer on this boat? And I do not to waste their or mind time. Any thoughts out there? The sale person did say he will take any offer to his sales manager all they can say is now and we are right back to where we started?

I don't know what market they're looking at but an '05 for nearly 50k!! No way!! Based on that '04 for $34,500, I would say my first offer would be around $35k and I assume they'll probably laugh but I guess it's worth a shot.

I will come in some place around that. Thanks. You would think this being a trade, they would have bought this boat right. Not a lot of dealers are taking in trades this past year. If they took this one in on trade, I would think they are into this boat right regarding the open market price of a used 05 in this conduction.

This is the Boat I would be making an offer on...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26579-2004-23-lsv-wakesetter/

I would have no problem buying this without inspecting and driving it.. I would then post it on Uship.com and have it shipped...

I have had a preliminary conversation with chathamsolutions regarding his boat. His boat sounds like it is a great find. Lets just say we could not work out the timing of a purchase. Along with Uship came back with an average shipping cost of, a little over 2,000.00 dollars. That I would have to add onto the price of the boat. If I can find something like chathamsolutions within a reasonable distances I could pick up the boat myself and do a test run at the same time. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have had a preliminary conversation with chathamsolutions regarding his boat. His boat sounds like it is a great find. Lets just say we could not work out the timing of a purchase. Along with Uship came back with an average shipping cost of, a little over 2,000.00 dollars. That I would have to add onto the price of the boat. If I can find something like chathamsolutions within a reasonable distances I could pick up the boat myself and do a test run at the same time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you in a jurisdiction where you'll have to pay sales tax regardless? It varies from state to state, but here in NV, for instance, I don't have to pay sales tax on a private party sale but would be taxed on a dealer sale, even where the boat is used.

So in my case, the $2k for shipping would be about the same as the tax, and I'd rather put the 2K back into the economy (via Uship) than into the government's hands.

If you pay sales tax either way, I guess it doesn't matter.

Are you in a jurisdiction where you'll have to pay sales tax regardless? It varies from state to state, but here in NV, for instance, I don't have to pay sales tax on a private party sale but would be taxed on a dealer sale, even where the boat is used.

So in my case, the $2k for shipping would be about the same as the tax, and I'd rather put the 2K back into the economy (via Uship) than into the government's hands.

If you pay sales tax either way, I guess it doesn't matter.

Will have to pay sales tax once I have the boat and trailer registered in Ohio.

Will have to pay sales tax once I have the boat and trailer registered in Ohio.

Right. Like I said, every state is different. For us, it definitely incentivizes private party sales over dealer ones.

Here is a cool craigslist search tool I found when looking for my LSV. It allows you to search all of craigslist in every city at once. I have it set for Malibu Wakesetter LSV. You can alter the search once you get it. It took me 8 months to find the right one but it is worth it. I would also recommend calling dealers for used inventory. They are not always on craigslist, onlyinboards, and boattrader. There are some sweet ones on this search at a good deal.

http://www.seekyouritem.com/cl/search.php?cx=013899832879087547080%3Abnh-uajxhuu&cof=FORID%3A11&q=malibu+wakesetter+lsv&sa=Search+entire+craigslist&siteurl=craiglist-search.blogspot.com%252F%253Fcx%253D013899832879087547080%253Abnh-uajxhuu%2526cof%253DFORID%253A11%2526q%253D2007%252Binfiniti%252Bm35%252Bpearl%252Bsport%2526sa%253DSearch%252Bentire%252Bcraigslist%25231783#1264

Thanks 68taylor, this will save a lot of time. I was going to each city in a state. Learn something new every day.

Edited by Monk

you know 04 is a completely different boat from 00-03, right? The big re-design was in 04.

Thanks I just went to resources/diy and took a look at the differences for 03 to 04 in the 23 wakesetter and sunscape. Are there any other changes from 03 to 04 other than size. And yes I know size does matter.

Thanks I just went to resources/diy and took a look at the differences for 03 to 04 in the 23 wakesetter and sunscape. Are there any other changes from 03 to 04 other than size. And yes I know size does matter.

It's a different hull. The older one was a better crossover and has a decent slalom wake. Newer one (04-07) more of a wake oriented hull at the expense of ski wake.

**that's common wisdom... I don't have any first hand experience behind the 04-07, and very limited experience behind 00-03.