Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a Wakeskate for my son

Lieutenant Dan

My 15 year old son tried a wakeskate last fall and took right to it. He wants to get one for his birthday. He is a beginner and only will use it maybe 20 - 30 times per year or so. I'd like to keep the cost down so I'm leaning towards wood but he says they only last a couple of seasons. Anyone have real world data on this?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the foam topped boards? I was thinking that I'd like to take a turn with it here and there but don't want to drag shoes around in the boat. Can a person do this sport OK without shoes?

We found a closeout model that was wood with the foam top. I use it barefoot and have not had any problems with it. It's held up pretty well so far. I have had it two seasons now. I just looked on Boardersmall.com they have 2 or 3 that are $99.

20-30 times is a lot for most recreational riders and he will out grow a flat deck in 10 days if it does break first.

My main advice for buying a wakeskate is that you dont want to buy a board from a wakeboard company. They are overpriced and will fall apart really quick.

Wood boards are the way to go and will last a long time as long as you buy them from a wakeskate company that is built in the USA and is sealed right. Compression molded boards ride funky and usually have very awkward concave. The only composite skate that is awesome is Integrity and Mutiny. Those boards will last for eveer and have bamboo or birch cores to make them ride mroe like wood skates. They are pricy but are worth every penny. Ive ridden them since 05 and wont look back. the 2010s are so sick.

For wood skates Remote Wakeskates are on top right now. for $250 you are getting a top notch skate that will last a long time, rides great, and has a perfect concave top. Andrew pastura and ben horan absolutely shred on those decks. they are hard to come buy because they sell out so fast, but if you find one grab the Andrew Pastura 39.5" for your son.

Wood and griptape are generally the way to go. foam is thick and sticky. its hard to move your feet and you lose board feel. dont do it.

I have a wood with foam skate I got off craigslist for about $25. I also have a cassette type board with the grip tape on the top. I personally have more fun riding for pleasure with the wood and foam board without shoes because they are a lot of fun to just goof around on. It has also held up very well over the past three seasons, it gets used almost every time we go out after our sets. The cassette board with grip tape is better if you take it seriously and don't mind carrying shoes- it's pretty fun to olie or slide things with this board but again I prefer the other. Hope this helps!

I like the Integrity board, I rode a demo board of theirs last year, It was way easier to ride than a Liquid Force board. Apparently they are shape-able too.

• 2 weeks later...

My 15 year old son tried a wakeskate last fall and took right to it. He wants to get one for his birthday. He is a beginner and only will use it maybe 20 - 30 times per year or so. I'd like to keep the cost down so I'm leaning towards wood but he says they only last a couple of seasons. Anyone have real world data on this?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the foam topped boards? I was thinking that I'd like to take a turn with it here and there but don't want to drag shoes around in the boat. Can a person do this sport OK without shoes?

It's really all about feel. A composite board will ride higher in the water and probaly be easier for a beginner. A wood board will give you more feel on the water and probably better pop (if its a bi-level).

Grip tape is easier to move your feet around, but it will also give you a nice rash mark if you hit it on a fall. Foam is soft, but sticky. (There are some boards with both, like the Hyperlite Catalyst).

The biggest consideration (for me) is getting a board that is concave. Flat boards won't offer much trick variety in the long run.

I have seen wakestakers kill it on wood, composite, grip, and foam... like most board sports its about finding the board that feels best on your feet (or your kids feet). I ride both wood and composite boards... just depends what I'm feeling.

There are some great boards made by major wakeboard manufacturers. There are great boards made by wakeskate companies. If you go with one of the known companies, quality will be good. You shouldn't have to worry about wood rotting or anything like that.

I'd suggest buying a used board first. Craigs list, this site, other boat sites all have classified sections. You can find a great board for a fraction of the cost of a new board. Once your kid gets a feel for if he likes it or not... move on to something else... used is the way to go at first.

Oh yeah, you can ride a skate barefoot, but you risk looking dorky... and you'll never really have the push to perform a lot of the technical tricks.

Edited by Munch

I'm no expert on wake skate, but I do skate at least once a week and have skated on land nearly my whole life...

For a $100 wood board to last 3 seasons is not a bad investment IMO.

My foam topped board is sticky as hell. No shoes necessary, although I wear them often.

Have you ever dragged grip-tape across your shin, calf or thigh. It sucks hard.

In case you don't know, skaters have their share of knee injuries due to landing with one foot on, and one foot off. Probably no worse than the common injuries in other watersports, but something to be aware of.

ive noticed that even though a wakeskate is probably the cheapest board to use behind a boat people want to go with the cheapest possible. its such a fun sport, but seriously the wrong board will give you a terrible impression on the sport.

and Munch, its the major wakeboard companies that have the worst quality. ask anyone on wakeskating.com how many LFs theyve broken.