Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pump problem

Had an interesting problem last weekend. I was on the lake, getting ready to go home, I drained all my ballast tanks, but my left rear tank showed full, couldnt hear the pump run. I pulled up the cover plate for the left rear drain pump and wacked it a few times and it started working. Is it normal for these pumps to jam up like that? whats the service life for them? I would hate to have to routinely dig up my pump and do this. The boat is a 2008 23LSV,by the way.

Thanks all,

Had an interesting problem last weekend. I was on the lake, getting ready to go home, I drained all my ballast tanks, but my left rear tank showed full, couldnt hear the pump run. I pulled up the cover plate for the left rear drain pump and wacked it a few times and it started working. Is it normal for these pumps to jam up like that? whats the service life for them? I would hate to have to routinely dig up my pump and do this. The boat is a 2008 23LSV,by the way.

Thanks all,

It's not normal per say but it does happen. Sometimes the impellar gets stuck and it stops working. Pulling the motor off the top of the pump and twisting the impellar usually will do the trick. Just a quirk of these pirahna pumps.

Happened to me on Saturday. Same thing but only had to do it once. I am just going to keep an eye on it and replace it only if it acts up some more.......also keep in mind that I have replaced the hard tanks with 750s so I also have the option to pump it out with the tsnami pump.

It's not normal per say but it does happen. Sometimes the impellar gets stuck and it stops working. Pulling the motor off the top of the pump and twisting the impellar usually will do the trick. Just a quirk of these pirahna pumps.

06 is dead on, though I would even call it normal (with any pumps that sit for any length of time). Not uncommon for them to freeze up and need a little help. Should be no big deal