Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

About to bite - any reservations?

jibskib

First, have to say how much I've appreciated reading posts and replies on the malibus I've been considering. We started looking almost exclusively for RLXi's in the mid 2000's for their size, hull, and price range. Now, a 2003 Sunsetter LXi entered the picture, and I'm ready to jump in. Just wanted to hear a little feedback on the sunsetter. We are a slalom family, but like to play around on other toys from time to time. Extra space of the sunsetter wasn't really needed, but would there be a significant negative impact of tha extra size and weight?

Here is the boat - any thoughts on price or other details most welcome:

http://www.usedboats.com/boat-ad/display/ad_id/106148651

Nice looking boat, but 24k for a S/A trailer and no tower...I don't think so.

The SSLXi's make a great all purpose boat but aren't great at for the hardcore slalom skier or wakeboarder. For the recreational rider it's perfect (for a dd boat).

First, have to say how much I've appreciated reading posts and replies on the malibus I've been considering. We started looking almost exclusively for RLXi's in the mid 2000's for their size, hull, and price range. Now, a 2003 Sunsetter LXi entered the picture, and I'm ready to jump in. Just wanted to hear a little feedback on the sunsetter. We are a slalom family, but like to play around on other toys from time to time. Extra space of the sunsetter wasn't really needed, but would there be a significant negative impact of tha extra size and weight?

Here is the boat - any thoughts on price or other details most welcome:

http://www.usedboats.com/boat-ad/display/ad_id/106148651

Nice boat, love the color combo. Price seems high, but then again a super-clean boat is hard to find - if it's as nice as the seller says. Quick check of NADA says low retail is $14,590 and average is $16,625. I don't count things like stereo (if it is the standard one), pylon, platform, depth, etc. All that stuff is standard issue. I added for the 335 Monsoon as that is an optional engine for sure, and if the cover is new and a malibu cover, that is worth some $ to me as a buyer. Single axle trailer adds $1,525 low retail, and $1,735. I dont see a spare in the pic.

Check boattrader.com and see what other 2001-2003 Sunsetters are selling for.

Good luck!

-- Mike

Nice boat, love the color combo. Price seems high, but then again a super-clean boat is hard to find - if it's as nice as the seller says. Quick check of NADA says low retail is $14,590 and average is $16,625. I don't count things like stereo (if it is the standard one), pylon, platform, depth, etc. All that stuff is standard issue. I added for the 335 Monsoon as that is an optional engine for sure, and if the cover is new and a malibu cover, that is worth some $ to me as a buyer. Single axle trailer adds $1,525 low retail, and $1,735. I dont see a spare in the pic.

Check boattrader.com and see what other 2001-2003 Sunsetters are selling for.

Good luck!

-- Mike

Thanks Mike and JetSkiPro - very helpful insight. Unfortunately not a lot of SSLXi's out there to compare, but am still looking to find a good figure for an offer. At the risk of hijacking my own thread - I'm pretty psyched about this boat (if we can settle on a fair price) and I am starting to think about the existing 3600lb capacity lift we already have. Looks like it is a 2900lb boat, and I've read some threads that say shoot for 1000lbs over. Will this be cutting it too close?

I am converting a shorestation vertical lift from a pontoon kit to an inboard setup with running bunks and a front bow stop. I can't seem to find the old thread where I read this, but if I remember right - the bunks need about 9in of clearance above the crib in order to allow the tracking fins to clear..... that sound correct? shallow water is an issue as we are at about 29" at the end of the dock right now (can get to 36" by extending the dock).

It is a super-clean boat, pending water test. S/A trailer and no tower are not a big issue. Making sure it runs and floats off the dock so we can ski without hassle are.....

My SSLXI has made a great slalom boat and really pleases everyone in the family. I find the slalom wake very small especially with a 525 prop. It easily handles a slalom course. It was an AWSA approved 3 event boat so that should say enough.

I loved the wake behind my 2000 SSLXi. It did a fine job with both slalom and barefooting. I do prefer the earlier sunsetter LX for barefooting but the LXi is a great slalom wake. Just my $.02

Thanks Mike and JetSkiPro - very helpful insight. Unfortunately not a lot of SSLXi's out there to compare, but am still looking to find a good figure for an offer. At the risk of hijacking my own thread - I'm pretty psyched about this boat (if we can settle on a fair price) and I am starting to think about the existing 3600lb capacity lift we already have. Looks like it is a 2900lb boat, and I've read some threads that say shoot for 1000lbs over. Will this be cutting it too close?

I am converting a shorestation vertical lift from a pontoon kit to an inboard setup with running bunks and a front bow stop. I can't seem to find the old thread where I read this, but if I remember right - the bunks need about 9in of clearance above the crib in order to allow the tracking fins to clear..... that sound correct? shallow water is an issue as we are at about 29" at the end of the dock right now (can get to 36" by extending the dock).

It is a super-clean boat, pending water test. S/A trailer and no tower are not a big issue. Making sure it runs and floats off the dock so we can ski without hassle are.....

It sounds like you may have already decided that this boat could "be the one!"...If so, and you are comfortable with the price you are paying, don't worry about NADA or anything else. You'll kick yourself if you lose it over $1,000. I haven't done a search on DD's, but I doubt you're going to find a 2003 MY of anything for $14-16k. Maybe a Moomba.

For the lift, I was in the same situation and ended up upgrading from a 3000# lift to 5000#. With oil, gas, gear, and possibly a couple of people, you'll be well over 2900#. You could be fine, since there's probably some safety factor built into the ratings, but I was still nervous. The thought of a cable snapping when I wasn't there, or even worse, when somebody was standing next to it, just didn't sit well with me.

I just bought a '01 SSLxi (same hull as '03) a week ago and could not be happier with the boat. It has an awesome slalom wake at all speeds, but especially at 34 mph, 22 & 28 off. With wedge down and 350# center ballast it throws a respectable wakeboard wake. Again, I could not be happier with this boat.

In your case I would try to work with the guy on price a little, but I don't think he's asking too much. Craigslook.com is a good place to find other SSLxi's for sale to get reference pricing.

Lastly, I had the same shorelander lift concern you mentioned. I did not upgrade to the 5000# lift and have had no problem. I figure a full tank of gas and gear will only add about 400# and I never crank my boat up with people in it, so I am still 300# under the limit. I'm OK with that.

Good luck!

i've got the 99 you see in my sig line and couldn't be happier.

first dd was a 78 mastercraft and then went to a 1990 malibu skier.

momma said we needed more room and we found the sunsetter.

i can say the sv23 diamond hull and a 515 acme prop give me some of the best salom

wakes i've ever skied. price seems a touch high for a 2003, but i wouldn't take

anything less than 18,500.00 for ours and its been babied with only 260 hours on it.

the wife says the boat is my mistress and gets better care than she does.

The SS LXI IMHO is one of the best boats Malibu has made! If it would have been in production when I bought my boat I would have bought one in a flash.

It is an outstanding slalom boat. If I close my eyes I don't think I could tell you if I was behind my R LXI or a SS LXI. And the SS LXI is not weight sensitive like the R LXI. I also love the bigger trunk. I will say I love my R LXI but don't like the weight sensitivity. I keep two 6 gallon buckets for water for weighting the boat for skiing with only a driver.

The handling of both boats is very good but my smaller R LXI is a blast.

Edited by Sixball

I've said it here before and will say it again. The "classic" SSLXI was the best all around boat ever made and I will keep mine forever. It really has a great slalom wake - a friend with an '03 Response LXI told me that he thought my wake was maybe even a bit softer than his and he runs into 38 off at 34mph. And, as others above said, it throws a decent wake with the wedge and some ballast / a lot of people.

A really nice '03 or '04 is a great find. The Monsoon 335/340 really is a better engine than the 325 - much better low end torque. I don't have any numbers to prove it, just a seat of the pants difference between my 2001 and a friend's 2004.

I can also vouch for the SSLxi too...granted I am new to the Malibu family (just got mine this spring). I have no complaints so far with mine...the wake for slalom skiing at 34-36mph has been great. And for wakeboarding, dropping the wedge makes a great wake. Mine didn't have the MLS so I purchased a custom fat sac to fill out the ski locker and it works very nice.

Also, not sure where you are located, but I'm only about an hour from where that boat is at. I could stop by and take a look at it for you if you want?

. I keep two 6 gallon buckets for water for weighting the boat for skiing with only a driver.

Must be a typo. I'm sure you always have a spotter...

I've said it here before and will say it again. The "classic" SSLXI was the best all around boat ever made and I will keep mine forever. It really has a great slalom wake - a friend with an '03 Response LXI told me that he thought my wake was maybe even a bit softer than his and he runs into 38 off at 34mph. And, as others above said, it throws a decent wake with the wedge and some ballast / a lot of people.

A really nice '03 or '04 is a great find. The Monsoon 335/340 really is a better engine than the 325 - much better low end torque. I don't have any numbers to prove it, just a seat of the pants difference between my 2001 and a friend's 2004.

It's the same engine, just a difference of a few HP.

I can also vouch for the SSLxi too...granted I am new to the Malibu family (just got mine this spring). I have no complaints so far with mine...the wake for slalom skiing at 34-36mph has been great. And for wakeboarding, dropping the wedge makes a great wake. Mine didn't have the MLS so I purchased a custom fat sac to fill out the ski locker and it works very nice.

Also, not sure where you are located, but I'm only about an hour from where that boat is at. I could stop by and take a look at it for you if you want?

Great wakeboarding wake? Maybe for a beginner. I used to run 1500lbs. plus the wedge and it was just Ok.

It's the same engine, just a difference of a few HP.

The skuttlebutt on the Monsoon 335/340 is that it really was more like 350hp but Malibu didn't want to market it that way and potentially scavenge sales of the Hammerhead.

Take it from me, there is a difference. My boat ('01 325 Monsoon) with an ACME 515 vs. the '04 SSLXI 340 Monsoon with a 515....there is a noticeable difference in low end torque and that is what is really important as max HP comes at high RPMs.

In my opinion the only down side is hardcore wakeboarding. Even for hardcore slalom families its a nice ride.

Side note - No spotters required in MN if you have a mirror. Love that law.

Great wakeboarding wake? Maybe for a beginner. I used to run 1500lbs. plus the wedge and it was just Ok.

Are you throwing hoochie glides, whirlybirds, and 7's? I would agree it is not an expert level wake, but our crew is having no troubles with backrolls, 3's, 5's, and tantrums on the wake. That's good enough for me.

Are you throwing hoochie glides, whirlybirds, and 7's? I would agree it is not an expert level wake, but our crew is having no troubles with backrolls, 3's, 5's, and tantrums on the wake. That's good enough for me.

Not even close, but the bigger the wake the more fun. That boat can't put out a big enough wake IMO.

Hey all - I think we found one! Thanks to all that have responded and spread the SSLXI good vibes. Was out on the water today with the boat and we are going to seal the deal tomorrow.

Back to this question real quick:

I know I read a great thread about how much lift clearance I'll need to set up - and I think the thread also had a good back and forth about water depth that people are comfortable docking/hoisting in.... anybody better with the search function than I am?

Not even close, but the bigger the wake the more fun. That boat can't put out a big enough wake IMO.

I certainly will not argue with that statement!

I know I read a great thread about how much lift clearance I'll need to set up - and I think the thread also had a good back and forth about water depth that people are comfortable docking/hoisting in.... anybody better with the search function than I am?

I can measure my bunk clearance for you tomorrow.