Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RadaR senate vs. theory

zmaro

Hi this is my first post, i need advice on a ski.

I am 5 ft 10 in and around 125 lbs, I only ski open water on a lake and on the river so I dont need a comp. ski.

Im having a hard time deciding between the theory and senate, and a boot setup. I have been using a jr. Alliegance but have outgrown it so its time for a new setup. I think that I am pretty good at the sport and want a performance oriented ski, the thing that scares me about the theory is when people call it a wide ride ski which makes the ski sound dull. I need some quick advice as Im going to pick one up on wednesday. the main thing im looking for is a ski that can handel some rough water but will still let me lay down in the corners and be a step up from the jr. Alliegance. in either ski i would get a 65in.

i think.

as for bindings i was thinking either Double prime, or single prime/vector. I also dont want to break the bank.

any recomendations and advice would be great!

Thanks!

How fast do you ski? This question has come up a couple of times. Do a search and see what you can find. Having said that, I had the same decision, between the same 2 skis. I was lucky and had a chance to talk with the Radar guys before making my selection. Demoing is even better!

I'm 6'0" 190 lbs, ski open water (mostly) at 32 MPH. I chose the 67" Senate and have not looked back. The ski is freakin' unbelievable!

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but since you are so light, the Senate might be the way to go unless you ski at slower speeds?

Edited by skurfer

I own or have owned both. Like Skurfer said, decision is dependent upon speed. Senate better choice is you're skiing 30-34 mph. The Theory will allow you to go be happier in the range of...say 28-32. Don't let the word "wide" scare you, width is your friend, and is becoming more common...even is some high end skis. The Theory is only .40" wider than standard (the Senate .20") so it is hardly noticeable when looking at the ski. Width gives a more stable platform to ski on, as well as making deep water starts easier. The only downside is if you cut across the wakes w/out the ski on edge, there will be a bit more of a "launch" effect.

If you can swing it, the Vector boot(s) are really sweet...w/ more substance and support then the Prime. They come in three sizes, the "Standard" being Mens 7-11. Good Luck...I don't thing you can go wrong w/ either of your choices.

the spedo says 38-40MPH which is wrong so im guessing low to mid 30's and our rope is shortened by one section. im now leaning towards the senate. also has anyone changed from a ARTP to a double boot that can comment on the differences, i assume it would have better control but is it worth the extra $90?

I reserved a 65" senate and vector front boot so all I need to decide on is the rear vector boot or the ARTP toe strap. Any info on the pros/cons would be great!

RTP vs double boots is a personal preference. I started on a RTP & switched to doubles a few years ago. I prefer the doubles. It does take some getting used to on the starts. I have limited movement in my rear ankle & the double boots made it much more stable & responsive.

I reserved a 65" senate and vector front boot so all I need to decide on is the rear vector boot or the ARTP toe strap. Any info on the pros/cons would be great!

You are at more risk of twisting your leg with a RTP when your rear foot slips out but your front foot stays in. With double boots, if I come out, I come out of both.

the vector is a fairly soft boot. IMO injury risk is fairly low providing you dont completely wrench up the laces.. if i was you id just go rtp. not having a double boot on that ski will not stop your progression until you are ready for a high end slalom. then you may wish to consider double boots.

good choice of ski zmaro :thumbup:

Well I picked up the senate with vector and ARTP Wednesday and was able to try it out on the river yesterday, and it was amazing! It feels like it's glued to the water, and the boots are very comfortable. My friend took some video from the boat, shore, and I even wore his Gopro head cam skiing. I can't wait to get it out on the lake in some smooth water over the 4th to see what it can really do.

Well I picked up the senate with vector and ARTP Wednesday and was able to try it out on the river yesterday, and it was amazing! It feels like it's glued to the water, and the boots are very comfortable. My friend took some video from the boat, shore, and I even wore his Gopro head cam skiing. I can't wait to get it out on the lake in some smooth water over the 4th to see what it can really do.

Did you get the Senate or the Senate C?

The local shop has a 67" Senate C already set up with Vector boots in my size all ready to go. Maybe I'll try it out when I have the week off the week after next. Maybe take the Senate for a spin as well.

unless your running buoys all the time at 22+ and 34mph there is no benefit of going for the C over the standard version IMO.