Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hour Meter

Hello,

I am new to the forum and hopefully a new boat owner very soon. I am looking at a 2002 Wakesetter VLX with the 365hp engine. The owner got the boat in a divorce and she knows very little about the boat. She states that the boat does not have an hour meter, but was recently hooked up to a computer at the dealership and read the hours at 340ish.

Is it true that this boat does not have an hour meter anywhere? If that is the case, how do you know when to do maintenance? Can one be installed after market? I have owned many different brands of ski boats over the years and they have all had hour meters.

I appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am new to the forum and hopefully a new boat owner very soon. I am looking at a 2002 Wakesetter VLX with the 365hp engine. The owner got the boat in a divorce and she knows very little about the boat. She states that the boat does not have an hour meter, but was recently hooked up to a computer at the dealership and read the hours at 340ish.

Is it true that this boat does not have an hour meter anywhere? If that is the case, how do you know when to do maintenance? Can one be installed after market? I have owned many different brands of ski boats over the years and they have all had hour meters.

I appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

Iam pretty sure it has an hour meter my 01 did, it was in the display of another gauge iirc.

Edited by apwrx

i would have to say you might have found a deal opportunity.

could be the hour meter doesn't work and she describes it as not having one. If it truly doesn't have one, one can be installed.

If the owner was doing an oil change once a season, that would easily cover the hours on the boat.

You will still want to have the boat checked out and give it a lake test.

good luck and welcome to the site.

here is a link to an article on this site on Buying a Used Boat.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html?record=11

martinarcher

i would have to say you might have found a deal opportunity.

could be the hour meter doesn't work and she describes it as not having one. If it truly doesn't have one, one can be installed.

If the owner was doing an oil change once a season, that would easily cover the hours on the boat.

You will still want to have the boat checked out and give it a lake test.

good luck and welcome to the site.

here is a link to an article on this site on Buying a Used Boat.

http://www.themalibu....html?record=11

No doubt! If she doesn't know what she has you might get a good deal!

• 1 year later...

I looked at a 2002 VLX yesterday and it also did not have an hour meter anywhere on the dash.

The center gauge, with the speed, and digital display should have it. There should be a button somewhere (probably the lower right of the dash) that says "display" and allows you to toggle through hours, time, lake temp, air temp.

You should be able to find it there. Regardless, it's stored on the ECM, and the gauge just displays that. It should be there.

My 05 Vride has a small momentary switch on the lower right of the dash. It makes the display in the center of the dash cycle thru several screens..... Time, air temp, water temp, water depth, and engine hours.

Not sure if they were setup this way or not. :unsure:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky