Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine won't turn off!

wildroot56

I was out on the lake last weekend and the engine wouldn't turn off when I turned the ignition to the off position. Over the course of the day someone opened the storage compartment behind the passenger seat where the batteries are located and shut it kind of hard and the engine turned off (ignition was in the off pos.) So the rest of the day when I needed to turn off the engine we simply turned the ignition key to the off position and opened the seat-back and slammed it shut and each time the motor turned off. Is there a mechanism in the battery area that controls the signal coming from the ignition key when I turn it?

Ignition switch malfunction ?

Get a schematic of the switch and pull the ignition wire loose from the back of the switch to see if it is in the switch itself. Our boats get a lot of start/stop action so it's possible that failure occurred at the most logical point.

Ignition switch malfunction ?

Get a schematic of the switch and pull the ignition wire loose from the back of the switch to see if it is in the switch itself. Our boats get a lot of start/stop action so it's possible that failure occurred at the most logical point.

That was my first thought, that the switch was bad or had a bad contact. But if I bang the storage door shut on the pass side it'll shut off. I can bang the dash on the switch side and nothing happens. That's why I was wondering if any wiring from the ignition switch goes accross to that battery storage area where banging that back-rest shut would affect the switch?